Old petrol / meths stoves - worth anything

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

slarge

Old petrol / meths stoves - worth anything

Post by slarge »

I was in a local antique shop the other day and there were a couple of old brass stoves in tins. No obvious maker, but similar to old primus pressurised stoves. They looked complete, and in reasonable condition (and were probably suitable for display only), but are they worth paying anything for as a "vintage camping experience"? I think they were about £30 each, and I wouldn't pay that, but are they actually any use, or is there a reason we now use meths or gas stoves?
RIP

Re: Old petrol / meths stoves - worth anything

Post by RIP »

The Optimus ones? We had a chat about those a while back I remember. Like little bombs waiting to go off at any moment. Had one for a while but always felt a bit apprehensive using it. Meths pre-warmed burner sat right next to a petrol tank, what could possibly go wrong. Actually, I found that out when a flame shot out of the safety valve on the filler cap.... I ran a mile but no explosion....

Couple of quid for the brass content? :smile:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
slarge

Post by slarge »

RIP wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:46 pm The Optimus ones? We had a chat about those a while back I remember. Like little bombs waiting to go off at any moment. Had one for a while but always felt a bit apprehensive using it. Meths pre-warmed burner sat right next to a petrol tank, what could possibly go wrong. Actually, I found that out when a flame shot out of the safety valve on the filler cap.... I ran a mile but no explosion....

They may have been Reg - sounds like I need to forget about them. They'd just take my eyebrows off.... :oops:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Optimus paraffin stoves were ace - lots of faffing but lots of flame and low fuel usage. I carried one on my first bikepacking trip in 1987. They weigh around 2kgs..... Primus ones in the separate tins were more lethal as they didn't have a pressure release valve (Optimus did) My dad managed to blow one up on the summit of Ben Nevis in about 1981.
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

Nooooooo. They may be classics. Besides, there is a whole stove subculture.

https://classiccampstoves.com/forums/stove-forum.286/
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

fatbikephil wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:06 pm Optimus paraffin stoves were ace - lots of faffing but lots of flame and low fuel usage. I carried one on my first bikepacking trip in 1987. They weigh around 2kgs..... Primus ones in the separate tins were more lethal as they didn't have a pressure release valve (Optimus did) My dad managed to blow one up on the summit of Ben Nevis in about 1981.
That explains why the cairn & observatory are just ruins! :lol:
Psst i'll keep stum...
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I spent a few quid restoring an Optimus paraffin stove a few years ago following advice from the forum on Classic Camp Stoves. It was very impressive when I finally got it up and running, and I learned why they are affectionately know as "roarers". One burn and I decided we would all be happier if it just sat on a shelf for display.

https://classiccampstoves.com/

EDIT: dammit, now I'm back down this rabbit hole.
I'm just going outside ...
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

The svea ones seem to be worth a few quid on ebay
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I read that as 'old petrol in a meths stove' and whilst I was going to offer sensible advice about not doing, there was a part of me that wanted to say "yeah, try it but make sure you film it" :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
slarge

Post by slarge »

I think I might get one from the shop - only at a knock down price though. Feels like it might be an interesting experience to get it fired up and working. I'll make sure I film it as well!! :-bd
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

slarge wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:18 am I think I might get one from the shop - only at a knock down price though. Feels like it might be an interesting experience to get it fired up and working. I'll make sure I film it as well!! :-bd
Have you seen those charity boxes where you slide a coin into a funnel and the coin runs round and round until it disappears into the abyss? You're about to be that coin. If you continue down this road you won't be seen for a while, but will re-emerge in a few months time covered in cobwebs with singed eyebrows and a very heavy stove that works some of the time. Have fun.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

A Svea 123 was the first stove I bought.

Getting the thing primed properly was an art I didn't possess. It's a miracle I didn't burn down a tent.
slarge

Post by slarge »

The Cumbrian wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:33 am
slarge wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:18 am I think I might get one from the shop - only at a knock down price though. Feels like it might be an interesting experience to get it fired up and working. I'll make sure I film it as well!! :-bd
Have you seen those charity boxes where you slide a coin into a funnel and the coin runs round and round until it disappears into the abyss? You're about to be that coin. If you continue down this road you won't be seen for a while, but will re-emerge in a few months time covered in cobwebs with singed eyebrows and a very heavy stove that works some of the time. Have fun.
You see - that makes it even more tempting..... :lol:
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

slarge wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:15 pm
The Cumbrian wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:33 am
You see - that makes it even more tempting..... :lol:
I had a 'primus' o, but probably Optimus, 96.. I used meths and a Tilley lamp clip-on primer. the jlprimimg gell was expensive and disappointing. if you kept your jets clean no problems. once on a Scout District adventure challenge trolley, An overnight wide game we had to clip & melt' lead 'coins then cast another. (I hope they were a similar. soft less toxic alloy :???: but it was 1982). the theme was the Crag Vale coiner."King" David Hartley was hanged at Tyburn York for killing the Dighton one of the local authorities . The local valley was Once lawless and similar activities evading Customs & Excuse as the costal smugglers. Apparently it soon to be made into a TV drama.. for more info Read the Wiki page....

edit added a link to the stove
Optimus 96 stove...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

My memories of Primus stoves are of heavy, cumbersome beasts that never worked. This was while in the Scouts and I suspect it was a combination of no servicing and lack of technique.

I did have an Optimus 8R (copy) for years though. Ideal when touring on the motorbike as it could be topped up easily from the fuel tank. Great wee stove and much more compact too.
psling

Post by psling »

I grew up in a hardware store / ironmongers and can (just about) remember the various leather washers and seals we sold along with stoves, lanterns, etc.. Gas mantles, lamp glasses, asbestos rope ( :shock: ).

Still can't walk past an 'old style' hardware store without spending 20 minutes or so wandering around inside (Rhayader anyone?!) :cool:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

If anyone is interested in antique stoves with a less explosive attitude, then alcohol stoves from the early-mid 1900s are lovely things and do a very good job of it all, and very pleasing aesthetically too. I have far too many of them, and there's a selection in the pic. I love these things.

I'm just going outside ...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Love your stove collection Timbo. You should charge an entrance fee. If Llandod Bike Museum can do it for looking at a load of old bikes so can you with stoves :-bd
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

TheBrownDog wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:33 pm If anyone is interested in antique stoves with a less explosive attitude, then alcohol stoves from the early-mid 1900s are lovely things and do a very good job of it all, and very pleasing aesthetically too. I have far too many of them, and there's a selection in the pic. I love these things.

love the heat and flame proof display case :-bd soot & brasso!
slarge

Post by slarge »

psling wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:11 pm I grew up in a hardware store / ironmongers and can (just about) remember the various leather washers and seals we sold along with stoves, lanterns, etc.. Gas mantles, lamp glasses, asbestos rope ( :shock: ).

Still can't walk past an 'old style' hardware store without spending 20 minutes or so wandering around inside (Rhayader anyone?!) :cool:
My father in law had one of those shops - it was fantastic- proper Arkwrights. It had been in the family 3 generations and was well known everywhere. "Chattaways" it was called. His old delivery van from 1962 still exists....
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Still can't walk past an 'old style' hardware store without spending 20 minutes or so wandering around inside (Rhayader anyone?!)
Try the one in Montgomery Peter. You'll lose yourself for hours. :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mart

Post by Mart »

Richpips wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:51 pm A Svea 123 was the first stove I bought.

Getting the thing primed properly was an art I didn't possess. It's a miracle I didn't burn down a tent.
Same here - cracking little things they are. Still got mine
Must dig it out and have a play. Great for when it gets colder
2924 miles per Gallon
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

Coming from darkest Africa Primus paraffin stoves were everywhere! If you had the knack they were brilliant, if heavy. Used them car camping for years. My first "proper" light weight stove was an Optimus 8r I bought in the early 80's. Cracking stove and I still have it, used it hitchhiking around Europe and the UK and never blew up anything or burned a tent down with it. Still tempted to buy a SVEA as they are such great stoves. The reason the heating is close to the fuel tanking is so you don't have to pressurise it!! Heat the fuel in the tank and it self pressurerises!!! Simples!! :lol: Love the sound of a roarer burner at the end of a cold day!
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.