Anyone ever visited the Nahanni Valley?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Anyone ever visited the Nahanni Valley?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Stumbled across mention of this yesterday, so I did a bit of reading and what a place it looks. Not sure you'd perhaps take a bike or if you'd ever get out alive (it's also known as Valley of the headless men) but it looks fantastic - anyway, wondered whether anyone had ever visited that part of Canada? Here's a picture or two.

May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Re: Anyone ever visited the Nahanni Valley?

Post by whitestone »

I thought it looked familiar - not been you understand - particularly the second shot. My immediate thought was the Cirque of the Unclimbables which according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cirque_of ... climbables is part of the Nahinni national park.

A bit of searching and that second shot is of The Cirque of the Unclimbables. Used to be only accessible by canoe or float plane then a long hike up into the cirque.

A mixed canoeing/climbing trip - https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/fea ... ables-8692
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

It's one of the places on my list of places that I'll probably never get to.
I read an an account of it's exploration by RM Patterson, a fantastic author who moved to Canada after WWI:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dangerous-Rive ... 1894898869
People tend to fly up to the headwaters these days, but he had to paddle, pole and portage his way up.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
FLV

Post by FLV »

looks amazing !!
jameso

Post by jameso »

:shock:

Wow.

Been spending too long looking at the Karakorum and Pakistan over the last year or so but that's equally stunning, which is saying something as the Karakorum looks like a page out of a fairytale picture book. That ^ looks similar in a Lost World sort of sense, like the Vercors on a larger scale.

Anywhere with difficult access seems really interesting. Shipton and Tillman's Nanda Devi expeditions for ex. Working... is it really worth it : )
Teaman

Post by Teaman »

jameso wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:42 pm :shock:

Wow.

Been spending too long looking at the Karakorum and Pakistan .....

End

Me, Teaman (not sure what's happening with that quote bit 😂

After watching the excellent film 14 peaks the other day with some friends (spoiler alert, it's climbing and not cycling 😂), we got chatting about Pakistan as one of them had travelled around there many years ago. Just wondered what areas you've been looking at to cycle and what the current security situation is out there? I think it deteriorated in some areas with an IS presence but I imagine there are still some lovely areas to safely explore and enjoy the friendliness of many who live there.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

jameso wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:42 pm :shock:

Wow.

Been spending too long looking at the Karakorum and Pakistan .....

Me, Teaman (not sure what's happening with that quote bit 😂

After watching the excellent film 14 peaks the other day with some friends (spoiler alert, it's climbing and not cycling 😂), we got chatting about Pakistan as one of them had travelled around there many years ago. Just wondered what areas you've been looking at to cycle and what the current security situation is out there? I think it deteriorated in some areas with an IS presence but I imagine there are still some lovely areas to safely explore and enjoy the friendliness of many who live there.

Teaman, is that what you meant to post?
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Teaman

Post by Teaman »

Yes, thanks Led burner.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Teaman wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:47 pm Yes, thanks Led burner.
:-bd
no problem, for ref, you put the your comments before the [/quote]

Where is it?
It's in the lower left corner of the Northern Territories. and with the adjoining Naats'ihch'oh national Park reserve (first nation territories) its about the size of Vancover island..*.
a little remote as you say..
Nahanni, middle of nowhete
Nahanni, middle of nowhete
IMG_18122021_074203_(600_x_600_pixel).jpg (46.39 KiB) Viewed 483 times
from the wiki page
"In 1947 author Pierre Berton was sent by The Vancouver Sun to cover the north. He, along with pilot Russ Baker, flew up the Headless Valley. Writing on his journey for Macleans Berton remarked, "Frank Henderson himself, a man who perhaps has good reason not to want too many people rushing into the valley, was quoted as saying, on his return from the area last fall, 'There is absolutely no denying the sinister atmosphere of that whole valley. The weird, continual wailing of the wind is something I won’t, soon forget.'"

*auto correct insisted Vancover should be van over. :lol:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..