Best Tarp Setup for 2 (without poles)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Firmo

Best Tarp Setup for 2 (without poles)

Post by Firmo »

What is the best setup for 2x people using 1x bicycle 7?

We're not gonna have poles, so the pitch will be with pegs, guy rope and bikes.

Images and/or links will be much appreciated. Thanks!
Firmo
composite

Re: Best Tarp Setup for 2 (without poles)

Post by composite »

bicycle 7. Add lines where appropriate for the wind. This will easily take 2 people.

I have used a line from the middle attachment point over the saddle and down and also a line each side to lift it a bit more. I used a peg in each corner and one where the wheel is.

Link to the image as it's to big. http://www.composite-projects.co.uk/wp- ... G_6745.jpg

Couple of more pics here: http://www.composite-projects.co.uk/201 ... eriements/
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

An 'A frame' would really be the most stable.

A complete bike at each end stood upright. Wrap the lines twice around the saddle then peg down. Obviously peg the corners / sides of the tarp to the ground, then use the additional line points on the side of the Rig7 to 'open the inside out'.

Use an elastic band to hold the front brakes on and tilt the bikes slightly away from the tarp. Access might be a little tight but it'll be secure and offer plenty of protection.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Firmo

Post by Firmo »

I think I understand that Stu... but I don't suppose you have a picture of this set-up do you? :oops:
Firmo
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think I understand that Stu... but I don't suppose you have a picture of this set-up do you?
I should get chance to bicycle something up later and take you some pics.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It's slashing it down so haven't set it up fully but it should give you a good idea. You might want to wrap something round the saddle to stop the line digging in too much. Don't skimp on the 2 ridge pegs ... they're doing a lot of work.

If you extend the distance between the tarp and the saddle on one end it'll lower that end but give you more room to get in and out.

Don't forget to tie the front brake off ^^^ ;)
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I had one of those rare moments of spare time and the sun was still out. So I took the opportunity to quickly test out a tarp setup idea I had.

Tarpology by zippyonline, on Flickr

Got some ideas to play with - the tarp is a MSR E-wing (2010 I think). 6g Ti pegs, and there is a piece of string/guy stopping the bike from falling over, the strain isn't going through the tarp.

It's a bit flat, but I'd try to make use of one of the top ties and a tree or something to give it some more height ideally, but I wanted to test if I had nothing around.