Morning all

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dan_K

Morning all

Post by Dan_K »

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the board so thought i'd introduce myself. I'm Dan from Croydon - South London/Surrey.
Have been road riding for a few years but started off mountain biking 5 years ago. Nothing much just local trails and stuff. Have recently got back into mountain biking again and am starting out on the whole bike packing thing.
As a family, we've camped for years so I figure it's just a little bit more minimalist and a bit more hardship. We used to bivvy when I was in cadets but that was a few years back and a bit more supported....

Have got most of my kit already so am looking forward to getting out and about.

I've got an Xmas bivi planned in the Peak Disctrict to test out my kit and then all being well, it'll be a baptism of fire with entry to the Mach n back.

Maybe i'll see some of you out there......
didnothingfatal

Re: Morning all

Post by didnothingfatal »

Hello :D
valleydaddy

Post by valleydaddy »

welcome to the slippery slope of geekyness :ugeek:

have fun on your first trip and post us some pics please
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Hi Dan.

Any ideas on where you're going to bivvy in the Peaks? If you need any tips then shout up.

And pics/kit lists always welcomed :D
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Anthony wrote:Hi Dan.

Any ideas on where you're going to bivvy in the Peaks? If you need any tips then shout up.

And pics/kit lists always welcomed :D
I'm not exactly sure yet. In-laws are in New Mills so i was thinking that I'll head up long hill and find somewhere up near the viewpoint or perhaps on the other side of the reservoir. Would mean a nice easy ride back if any probs.

Any better ideas?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Any better ideas?
Not better but different ... how about. New Mills - Hayfield - Peep'o Day - overnight on Craken Edge - Four Lane ends - New Mills?

Pretty much downhill all the way home ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

I'll have a look on the map and have a think. Thanks!
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Right, i've looked at the map and I still am struggling to decide on this.
Help me out guys!

I want an easy ish ride but epic views to wake up to and a pub close by so we can eat some dinner and have a few beers before heading off to sleep. Am I wanting too much?

GPX or map link would be greatly appreciated with any info. I know the Peaks a little bit (inlaws live there) but not massively.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Dan, here's a couple of GR that'll make good overnight spots ... can't promise a pub without you going out of your way a little.

SK 053864 - a couple of nice sheltered spots within the trees.
SK 034856 - this'll give you a great descent down through Phoside farm on your way home.
SK 020819 - my mums house, in case you get stuck ;)
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Thanks for this. Think I've been up there before - not your mum's house... I meant the other bits. Is there a shooting lodge up on the top?
Which spot has the best view?

What does your mum look like? ;)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Dan you're thinking of Middle Moor where the shooting cabin is, it's a nice stretch of singletrack above Hayfield. It contains the (oddly) infamous stone steps which drop down to a small stream.

Either of those spots would give you a good view. The second GR is a little more wild though ... I recall that you might not see much civilisation from there. I'd pick the first GR if the weather wasn't playing, as you'll have more cover.

I'll tell my mum to put the kettle on as she can expect a 'gentleman caller' ;)
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Thanks. Kind of hope it snows.

If you could let her know, that would be great. Don't get her hopes up with terms like "gentleman" though.
Trafford

Post by Trafford »

Afternoon

Thought I'd step in here and say hello with my first post.

I'm new to Bikepacking, but off road cycling is a major love. Usually the Peaks, Pennines and North Wales, or finding the dirt tracks around Manchester where I live.

Along with my usual biking buddy, I'm planning a trip to the Upper Derwent Valley in August. Just a case of getting the basic kit together, shoestring style for now.

My last Bivy was sometime in the late 80's, should be a doddle nowadays considering how easily I nod off.

I've spent the last week or so reading threads here and on other forums, so would like to say thanks to you chaps for all the advice, tales and of course photos!