Hydraulic brakes

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Swede

Hydraulic brakes

Post by Swede »

I've been thinking of switching out my BB7's to hydraulics but all the brakes online seem to be preconfigured with that weird left/rear and right/front way (I'm not a fan!). Can I get brakes the other way around or would I need to dismantle and rebuild beforehand? That seems like an expensive way to do it as I'd need a bleed kit etc.

Apologies for being a bit thick but this is all new to me!
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Hydraulic brakes

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Left = rear and right = front is standard for the UK/US. However, you can buy brakes which are assembled the other way round and often they can be found cheaper within the UK because no one wants them :wink:

If you can't find any and you do need to swap levers, you can often get away without bleeding. I've certainly never had to bleed Shimano when I've swapped in the past.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Swede

Post by Swede »

Swede wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:44 pm I've been thinking of switching out my BB7's to hydraulics but all the brakes online seem to be preconfigured with that weird right/rear and left/front way (I'm not a fan!). Can I get brakes the other way around or would I need to dismantle and rebuild beforehand? That seems like an expensive way to do it as I'd need a bleed kit etc.

Apologies for being a bit thick but this is all new to me!
Swede

Post by Swede »

Sorry my bad! I had it around the wrong way....

So are you saying that this brake is left/rear?

https://www.bikester.co.uk/sram-g2-rsc- ... DIQAvD_BwE
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It looks like right = rear from the picture.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

UK spec is left rear right front

Europe is right front left rear

You can buy either type in the UK and /or swap levers over if required . ( IE whatever you buy you can set up the way you want but may need to swap levers
Some are universal ( some hopes not sure about anything modern as I don't have any ) so can go on either side
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

EDIT looks like it can go either side as looks like the reservoir is inline ( though I think the Allen bolt should be underside so think it's technically a left hand )

Who knows what happened there
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

If you're buying a set of brakes to upgrade an existing bike, which from your post it seems you are, then the chances of the hoses being exactly the correct length are remote, they are usually too long. You will therefore be shortening the hose and can swap the sides at the same time. You will need new barbs and olives anyway but if you're careful and don't lose fluid, a bleed can be avoided.
Swede

Post by Swede »

Thanks, I might just bite the bullet and see what turns up and adapt if necessary!
rollindoughnut

Post by rollindoughnut »

I think that when you buy new brakes they come with the hose disconnected from the caliper so they can be fed through frames internally. The hose is filled with oil and has a stopper on the end. The kit comes with a little cutting clamp tool, barbs and instructions. It's really easy to install whichever caliper to either lever.
Pretty sure that's what I got when I bought a set of xt brakes a couple of years ago.
Swede

Post by Swede »

That's handy to know as all the pictures seem to show them connected together.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

If the brakes you've linked are the ones you're contemplating buying, you'd do well to check you're getting a pair, the description refers to rear twice. Also a 4 pot caliper could be a shock to the system after cable operated, I'd go for a set of mid range Shimano for fit and forget operation.
Swede

Post by Swede »

pistonbroke wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:05 pm If the brakes you've linked are the ones you're contemplating buying, you'd do well to check you're getting a pair, the description refers to rear twice. Also a 4 pot caliper could be a shock to the system after cable operated, I'd go for a set of mid range Shimano for fit and forget operation.
I ended up buying a front and a rear from different companies (better price) and the rear arrived this morning. Interestingly the lever is symmetrical/ambidextrous i.e. it's neither left or right. There's a small mounting bracket that can also be used to hang your gear shifter from which makes it LHS or RHS.

Point taken about it being a shock to they system!
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Swede wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:30 pm
pistonbroke wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:05 pm

Point taken about it being a shock to they system!
Did you vault over your handle bars,
or do a front wheel stand? :???:
just remember they're DOT5.x not Mineral oil.(Shimano or Magura) :ugeek:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Swede

Post by Swede »

OMG! That's probably the best upgrade I've made in a long time.

I've watched the hydraulic vs. cable brake videos on YouTube and was persuaded that a correctly set-up cable brake was comparable to hydraulic, but that's nonsense... Not on their best day were my BB7's anywhere near as good as these. :-bd

I did the offroad climb up Cheddar gorge yesterday which is quite technical and just being able to stop instantly to regain control/balance made such a difference. Didn't manage to go over the bars but I could have if you hadn't warned me!
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Swede wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:43 pm OMG! That's probably the best upgrade I've made in a long time.

when I change over from V brakes to disk. I'll never for get the screech from my missus at the start of the first muddy descent on a sustrans route. I didn't realised I had to warn her. :-O X_X
Swede wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:43 pm Didn't manage to go over the bars but I could have if you hadn't warned me!
yes stronger braking but also (hopefully) better modulation... :-bd
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..