Heavy Duty Bags For Eating Out Of

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Boab

Heavy Duty Bags For Eating Out Of

Post by Boab »

Most of my BaM rides see me take some sort of breakfast with me, either ScotRoutes brand Adventure Porridge, or lately granola. I've been using a bog standard sandwich bag to hold the dry greedy ants, then dumping the liquid in on top. Granola appears to have harder edges, so even though I used a brand new bag at the weekend, the liquid was pishing out of holes in the bottom; I need something a bit sturdier. While I have a 900ml Ti pot, it's maybe a bit bulky to take to just eat granola out of, so I'm looking for some sort of heavy weight, resusable bag / pouch.

Can anyone recommend anything? Or is it a case of reusing a pouch from a dehydrated meal...?
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Heavy Duty Bags For Eating Out Of

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Pour and store, Soup and save, etc ... they're all pretty much the same. Thick plastic with a fold fold out base so they stand up. A decent seal and reusable.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Yup, pour and store bags (available on EBay) will do the job. Can be washed and re-used. Alternatively, a collapsible bowl is a tad heavier/bulkier but more durable and, probably, a bit more eco.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I've ended up with a cheap plastic bowl - very light and quite civilised. It weighs little and I stuff stuff in it when carrying.
faustus

Post by faustus »

I use silicone pouches a bit like these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mela-Fresca-Pi ... 9825&psc=1
Come in various sizes. They're solid (but not especially light), watertight, tough, heatproof, freezer safe, microwaveable etc., and think they also go in the dishwasher. Perfectly fine to just use as a bowl and once empty store flat and are flexible. Bit expensive but I find them useful for general kitchen food storage as well as bikepacking!
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I found pour n store bags to be excellent for that sort of use. Although I've used up my current supply. I usually eat out of my mug - either titanium one or the x seal and go one from sea to summit. It's a collapsible one so packs flat and has a proper sealed lid so you can have a mess inside and it doesn't contaminate your clean kit
Boab

Post by Boab »

Ah yes, pour and store bags, I'm sure they've been mentioned before, but I couldn't remember. I'll check out the other options too. Thanks all.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Yep - Pour and Store (I'm actually working my way - slowly - through some Aldi versions. I asked my Wife to get me 10 and she got 10 boxes of 10 :-) ). They're re-usable enough that I get a few trips out of each and I have a bubble-foil cosy to fit so that the porridge stays warm while it's re-hydrating.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Various foodstuffs are sold in them - frozen fruit, some fish. Just repurpose them, a couple of washes and they'll be fine for use. Just check your local supermarket's frozen section.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

I wash and reuse the Summit to Eat and Adventure Food pouches for the same purpose. They're proving to be immortal so far.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

The Cumbrian wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:45 am I wash and reuse the Summit to Eat and Adventure Food pouches for the same purpose. They're proving to be immortal so far.
on a similar vein, the original cereal bags, assuming they are not paper?
you'll be both re-using and up-cycling them.
double Bonus points :-bd
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Mart

Post by Mart »

2 bags, on inside the other. After eating you also have a spare gag :-bd
2924 miles per Gallon