OT - Boot Repair

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

petemaz

OT - Boot Repair

Post by petemaz »

A bit off topic, but the sole on my 10 year old leather Altberg boots has started to come away at the front. I know Altberg do a sole/rand repair service but it's pretty costly, so I'm looking at the DIY options for now. Is Shoe Goo still the go-to for all-weather boot repairs like this, or anyone recommend anything else?
cheers
arkay

Re: OT - Boot Repair

Post by arkay »

I have just used some of this stuff to stick the sole back on to my SPD shoes. Seems to have worked well so far but I have only used them for one ride since the repair.

https://www.stormsure.com/adhesives/sto ... -tube.html

I bought it to repair holes in a couple of air mattresses and it is also recommended for inflatable kayak repairs. It sets into to a flexible but strong rubbery compound, and seems to adhere very well to rubber and PVC type materials.
petemaz

Post by petemaz »

arkay wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:28 pm I have just used some of this stuff to stick the sole back on to my SPD shoes. Seems to have worked well so far but I have only used them for one ride since the repair.

https://www.stormsure.com/adhesives/sto ... -tube.html

I bought it to repair holes in a couple of air mattresses and it is also recommended for inflatable kayak repairs. It sets into to a flexible but strong rubbery compound, and seems to adhere very well to rubber and PVC type materials.
Nice one Arkay, many thanks :-bd
arkay

Post by arkay »

Actually this post has just reminded me that I have a pair of Brasher boots that have the soles coming away - bizarrely from the middle of the boot, while the front and rear are still securely attached.

I've still got some Stormsure left, so I've just got the tube out of the freezer (it recommends storing in the freezer so it doesn't go off in the tube once opened) and once it has defrosted I'll have a go at fixing them.
arkay

Post by arkay »

One other thing to add - it does take quite a while (12 hours or so) to cure, so you need to put some weight on the repair or clamp it somehow. For the SPD shoes I just wrapped some duct tape tightly around to hold the sole in place while it set. I'll let you know how I get on with the boots.
petemaz

Post by petemaz »

That'd be great, thanks again
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Those Brasher's are well known for it. There's a place that does lots of repairs on them.
May the bridges you burn light your way
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

My 2p’s worth is that the OP should bite the bullet and get Altberg to do the pro repair. My experience is that if the sole is starting to come away glueing will just delay the inevitable need for a proper fix and Altbergs are well worth fixing.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
petemaz

Post by petemaz »

lune ranger wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:54 pm My 2p’s worth is that the OP should bite the bullet and get Altberg to do the pro repair. My experience is that if the sole is starting to come away glueing will just delay the inevitable need for a proper fix and Altbergs are well worth fixing.
You're right. I just want to give it a try myself and see how long it lasts with some leisurely dog walking before hitting the hills. At some point I probably will send them off to Altberg.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

petemaz wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:33 pm
lune ranger wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:54 pm My 2p’s worth is that the OP should bite the bullet and get Altberg to do the pro repair. My experience is that if the sole is starting to come away glueing will just delay the inevitable need for a proper fix and Altbergs are well worth fixing.
You're right. I just want to give it a try myself and see how long it lasts with some leisurely dog walking before hitting the hills. At some point I probably will send them off to Altberg.
I recently had my almost 25 year old Lundhags re-soled and got a flea in my ear from them. They said the glue repair I did last year made the job harder than it should have been :oops:
WSC
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

think its was less than fiver per shoe for the loal cobbler to do mine
That said they only lasted about 4 rides - but he did warn me it would likely not work
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Lazarus wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:49 pm think its was less than fiver per shoe for the loal cobbler to do mine
That said they only lasted about 4 rides - but he did warn me it would likely not work
Depends on the boot or shoe in question. Many/most modern boots aren’t made in such a way as to allow a new sole to be fitted. The OP’s Altbergs will be though.
WSC
petemaz

Post by petemaz »

lune ranger wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:42 pm
petemaz wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:33 pm
I recently had my almost 25 year old Lundhags re-soled and got a flea in my ear from them. They said the glue repair I did last year made the job harder than it should have been :oops:

Yeah, that thought had crossed my mind..!
arkay

Post by arkay »

lune ranger wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:13 pm
Lazarus wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:49 pm think its was less than fiver per shoe for the loal cobbler to do mine
Depends on the boot or shoe in question. Many/most modern boots aren’t made in such a way as to allow a new sole to be fitted. The OP’s Altbergs will be though.
Ah well that’s different. If they can be done professionally then probably best to do that and I can see that a DIY job would make it harder. Anyway my Brashers are currently sitting with bungees wrapped round until the glue dries.

My wife has an old pair of Brashers that she has had for years and seem to be indestructible. I bought a pair and really wasn’t impressed. One boot was considerably less comfortable than the other, the leather had noticeably different grain on each boot, and then the soles fell off after moderate use. I gather they are now made sonewhere different from where they used to be and quality has dropped right off.
arkay

Post by arkay »

After leaving the boots with bungees and duct tape holding the soles in place the soles seem to be pretty solidly attached using Stormsure.

They are not going to win any awards for neatness - it's pretty messy stuff and hard to wipe off where it oozed out and stuck to the duct tape, but I really wasn't too bothered what boots that are going to be covered in mud look like, so I was happy to go a bit over the top with the glue. I'd recommend wearing gloves as it is a right pain to remove from your skin too - even the usual solvents such as white spirit, acetone and "sticky stuff remover" don't seem to have any effect.

After a quick test walk the sole seems firmly stuck as the glue cures into a really strong but flexible clear rubbery stuff, which fills any places where the rubber is trying to peel apart. A similar fix on my SPD shoes (where the whole heel midsole started coming away from the shoe) also seems to be pretty solid after a few rides.
petemaz

Post by petemaz »

Thanks for the update Arkay, i might just give it a go. cheers Peter