Fork mounted bag advice…

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

robbo1234biking

Fork mounted bag advice…

Post by robbo1234biking »

Hi all new to the forum but seems a good place to ask this question.

I am doing the Jennride in a few weeks. I did it back in 2019 and I used a saddle bag and rucksack to carry my kit. Using the saddle bag meant I couldn’t use my dropper post on my bike. I am not great on technical descents so using the dropper let’s me get my weight further back and helps with my confidence.

I have got some fork mounted bags from PlanetX and the associated brackets. The bags come with mounting hardware but they will be mounted to suspension forks without specific bosses so mounted using heavy duty cable ties. The bags will hold tent in one bag and clothing sleeping mat in the other. I have a frame bag which fills the inner triangle for heavier stuff (tools, spares, some food etc) and a handlebar bag with sleeping bag in. The tent is lightweight and happy to go with that over the bivvy bag I used last time. I have a couple of stem bags for water bottles.

Having mounted it on the bike the bags look pretty big. They stick out the side but no further than my feet/legs do.

What are peoples thoughts on fork mounted bags for this purpose? Am I compromising to much for keeping the dropper post mounted. There is a lot of weight on the front which will help with the climbs.

Picture hopefully attached!

Escape Goat

Re: Fork mounted bag advice…

Post by Escape Goat »

Hey up

Welcome to the forum :)

That looks like a lot of weight on your front end... What about a smaller bag for the rear?

That's my jennride set up.

I wouldn't use zip ties, they will certainly slip when you're booting it down Walna. Get these if you can't get a saddle bag.

https://wildcat.cc/products/drj0n-barnacle
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Iirc you can get a sleeve that allows you to mount a saddle bag on a dropper post. Might need to go a bit smaller with the saddle bag but would probably help achieve a better weight distribution.

I wouldnt go for all that stuff on the front but if you ride it and feel fine who's to argue!
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I forgot to say, I have one of those sleeves.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Although deeply unfashionable here, have you considered a rack? I recently tried a dropper on my Fargo, my first ever, what a revelation! Even dropping the saddle a few inches makes a huge difference. When lockdown eased I was left the same problem. My solution was a tortec rack, it’s about 100g heavier than my Porcelain rocket seat pack and lighter than many others.
I’d run a rack in preference to fork bags every time especially if you have suspension. Last weekend on the chilterns caper I had my Luna solo on the rack, my mat in the frame bag and just my 500g bag and a down vest in a little pocket up front. The bike handles great with such little weight up front. Long term if you can get the weight and bulk of your kit down it makes things much easier.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Boab

Post by Boab »

Fork cages and bags work for me, but then I'm not riding up and down mountains...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

I've done similar on my hardtail with a Pike fork. Worked fine.
Just try to keep the weight on the fork bags low. I put bulky but light stuff like sleeping mat and beanie hat in one, sleeping bag in the other.
I'd think cable ties on their own might not hold it well once you get lots of vibrations. I used these to mount Blackburn cages: http://www.zefal.com/en/bottle-cages-th ... ersal.html

Bit fiddly to fit, but work well once they're on.

You might want to look at taking a small backpack too, just for food and water and a jacket or whatever? Just kind of spreads the weight out and a small backpack isn't too annoying.
robbo1234biking

Cheers for the replies guys.

The kit came with some hose clamp type bands as well so I could use those rather than the cable ties.

Escape Goat - is that the Apidura bag that you have?

I get my frame bag in about a week or so (enlisted my Mum to make one for me as my wife isnt the handiest with the sewing machine). Once I know how how much I can get in that then I can make a decision I think. Trying to carry the minimum that I can.
robbo1234biking

I looked into a rack and there is one that fits the Roscoe that Trek make but it only seems to be available in the US.
Scud

Post by Scud »

The Apidura collar that allows use of bag with dropper is actually made by a company called 76 Projects, they have lots of ideas from 3D printing and Rob's a nice guy, may be worth contacting them:

https://www.76projects.com/

https://www.76projects.com/shop/dropper-post-adapter
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

robbo1234biking wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:44 am

Escape Goat - is that the Apidura bag that you have?

It is:

https://www.apidura.com/shop/backcountry-saddle-pack/
Nick

Post by Nick »

I'm planning on taking my Cotic FlareMax to the Jenn Ride this year, definitely no room for a seat pack if I want the dropper to work, worth it for that run into Seathwaite from the top of Walna Scar alone.

Planning on having my bivvy bag, sleeping "mat" (pathetic blow up thing that is smaller than a can of Gin and Tonic) and sleeping bag on my bars. Got a small Evoc bag that fits under my shock, and an Apidura race top tube bag for other bits Might lash a tube and CO2 canister to my frame somewhere or stuffed under the saddle.

I'll then have a small backpack with a down jacket, hat and a water bladder, and a few snacks.
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

I regularly carry stuff on my planet X Fork bag and mounts on my fox forks. Especially a 1.5ltr or 1ltr stainless steel flask.
The cable ties are ok if not carrying heavy weight items. However ,found using the jubilee clips with some inner tube to protect the fork the best option.
Handling is affected but only when heavily loaded.
You subconsciously compensate in time and don't notice it.
I also use a rear rack and attach a large roll top to it and also a frame bag.
Works ok in most conditions.I would advise new kit should be tested to get the feel of it before any events... I learnt the hard way! :roll:
Insanity over vanity
robbo1234biking

So decided to go with a alpkit dry bag on the front and then a custom frame bag my mum made for me. Got everything I. There with two stem cells. No rucksack or saddle pack needed.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

is smaller than a can of Gin and Tonic
How times have changed :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Having had a fork mounted bag come off and go into my wheel and landing on my face one Christmas Eve several years ago, I wince when I see them :oops:

Best avoided in my opinion but plenty of folk use them without such carnage