down jacket recommendations

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

barney

down jacket recommendations

Post by barney »

thanks to Mr HMRC I've got a nice little tax refund cheque in the post

thinking I may treat myself to a new down jacket, any recommendations for something about the sub-£150 price ??

not bothered about it having a hood, I have a woolly hat.

cheers :-bd
Wait for me...
RIP

Re: down jacket recommendations

Post by RIP »

Mountain Hardware Ghost Whisperer if you can spot one in a sale to get it down from the £200 mark.... won't get much lighter (if that's a criteria) than that unless PHD....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

Or maybe an MH Ghost Shadow? (heavier): https://www.outdoorgb.com/p/mountain_ha ... lAQAvD_BwE
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

Ooh.. found a Whisperer for £175 if you can scrape together the extra 'pony' for it :smile:

https://montagnesports.com/products/mou ... ngQAvD_BwE

"The world’s lightest full-featured hooded down jacket" :-bd .

In fact I'd get one meself except I already have the hoodless one ("the world's lightest full-featured, er, not-hooded down jacket" :wink: ).

boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Sportspursuit have various deals on. If not a member I'll send an invite saving us both a fiver?
https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/pr ... id/2068101

I picked up a second hand Rab Microlight and really impressed by it's wind resistance/warmth
https://www.nevisport.com/rab-microligh ... e_legacy=S
larsmars

Post by larsmars »

Oooh, good timing I was just looking into this.

I recall a few Boners have recommended the PHD stuff. Anybody actually tried this one?
https://www.phdesigns.co.uk/wafer-ultima-k-down-jacket

Quite a punchy price.

Tempted instead by this Yeti:
https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... cket-p6155

I have a Yeti vest and it's okay but not as warming as I'd hoped.

Thoughts?
nagasaki45

Post by nagasaki45 »

No much experience with anything else but I have this one from decathlon and quite like it. It's light, packed small, comfy, and warm enough for my needs.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

larsmars wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:55 pm Oooh, good timing I was just looking into this.

I recall a few Boners have recommended the PHD stuff. Anybody actually tried this one?

Quite a punchy price.
I got something like that in one of their sales, not sure if it's the same model but the weight is similar, certainly didn't pay anywhere near that price. In fact looking at their range, everything seems to have shot up in price. I've not bought anything full price but the sales prices certainly weren't 50% reduction.

The jacket is nicely warm - I'll use it for a good three seasons hanging around at bivvies. It's a bit warm for walking around in. The fabric is very light, somehow I managed to put a small tear into it last weekend, but you don't have to treat it like a china vase.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I got a Marmot quasar a few years ago. Marmot don't list it any more but a few still available by the looks. Mine weighs 250g's so a bit heavier than the ghost whisperer but still pretty light.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

RIP wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:57 pm Mountain Hardware Ghost Whisperer if you can spot one in a sale to get it down from the £200 mark.... won't get much lighter (if that's a criteria) than that unless PHD....
... or Montbell.
Eg my smock (EX light down anorak) weighs in at 182 g, hood, pockets, shock cord, 900 fp down and rather smart baffles. 45 % of its weight is down.
Latest version is has become a bit heavier, probably because of the adjustable hood, still only 215 g (claimed).
The top range Montbell stuff is expensive though.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Barney... if you spend from ULOG don't forget to contact MactheKnife as he has some vouchers for aale with a decent discount in the classifieds section...
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Perhaps Crux is worth a look too.

https://www.crux.uk.com/category/down-clothing

Still use mine (discontinued model) for when things get dirty. Used it heavily for many years until I realised it wouldn't loft well anymore, which is rather usual after years of use, despite giving it the occassional care.

Very well made gear. The main person behind Crux (and Lightwave) is likeable chap and has quite a reputation in mountaineering circles.
RIP

Post by RIP »

larsmars wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:55 pm I recall a few Boners have recommended the PHD stuff. Anybody actually tried this one?

Quite a punchy price.
I coveted one of those for yonks but after a lot of research went with the GW. Not quite as warm maybe but certainly the price was more of a light tap on the shoulder rather than a punch, specially as I was lucky enough to get a half-price one.

Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Sorry probably outside your budget, but, I've used the ghost whisperer, PhD, western mountaineering, and the Mont Bell EX light anorak.

The Mont Bell is by far the warmest.

There's so little down in a super lightweight jacket that it needs to have room to loft and a lightweight fabric to match the down fill power.
larsmars

Post by larsmars »

RIP

Post by RIP »

Fair enough with the MB. But... 224g v MHGW's 208g :wink: , and £300, and they forgot half the zip. I found my GW a bit of a pain to get on/off when the full zip temporarily jammed (it's tiny) and it temporarily became a smock.

Yes, welcome to this week's thrilling instalment of... Down Jacket Wars :grin: .

larsmars

Post by larsmars »

Would be amusing to see you all in your down jackets and face masks having a wrestle and then getting too warm and having to take them off.

The GW is certainly a contender for me. Price is appealing.
barney

Post by barney »

RIP wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:08 pm
Yes, welcome to this week's thrilling instalment of... Down Jacket Wars :grin: .
Lots of great info, cheers guys... sad to admit I feel a spreadsheet being created tomorrow!
:geek:
Wait for me...
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

RIP wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:08 pm£300
:shock:

I paid 300 swiss francs at the Montbell shop in Grindelwald a couple of years ago and thought it was right at the limit of silly to pay so much for so little.

RIP wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:08 pm they forgot half the zip. I found my GW a bit of a pain to get on/off when the full zip temporarily jammed (it's tiny) and it temporarily became a smock

Which is why the Montbell wins the war. Easy to get in and out, no matter how short the zip is.

Anyhow, why do you even need a full zip? (rhetorical question)
I think the only jackets I have for outdoor use (outside everyday use) are my warm and big down jackets.
Also going with smocks/anoraks only narrows down the stupidly large choices of fleece, down, synthetic, waterproof etc. etc. garments.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What is it that you want it for Mark? It's no good buying something that's ultra light if you want something for the depths of winter or buying a jacket containing 400g of down if you just want something to wear on a summers evening.

If it's something for winter, then I wouldn't discount a hood. Much warmer than a hat as it covers your neck / bottom of head and helps seal the warmth in :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Alpinum wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:38 am Which is why the Montbell wins the war.
Maybe a war, but not this war. It's double Barney's price point so doesn't even get out of the barracks door, never mind enjoy a victory parade :smile: .
Anyhow, why do you even need a full zip?
'need' v 'like'... just personal choice old bean :smile: .

Wise words from Stu as usual before we get even more carried away. All of our regiments above are fighting beyond Barney's price bracket (altho my GW was only £110) so we've wasted our ammunition, even if it was fun. <End of stupid military analogies anyway>.
Last edited by RIP on Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

benp1

Post by benp1 »

For the weight, I find a hood to be the best bit of functionality on a jacket, it makes such a difference to me being warm of an evening sitting out. Double bonus as it's useful in the quilt too

I typically use a synthetic jacket, because it means I can wear it when stopped without worrying about getting it damp/wet. Most of my down jackets have come and gone. I have a few down vests (because I can layer them with synthetic) and a Berghaus down/synthetic jacket (Ulvetanna Hybrid 2). The latter is black so more useful for a stealth bivy when needed, my warmer synthetic is a fairly bright blue so not very stealthy

EDIT - second the point about weight. if it's too light it just won't be that warm. another 20g of weight is worth it if it's 20g of down
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I typically use a synthetic jacket, because it means I can wear it when stopped without worrying about getting it damp/wet.
This is my thought process too. TBF there have been very few occasions when I've needed that reassurance but it's still my preference.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

larsmars wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:05 pm Richpips, is it this one you mean?

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... rak-p14299
Yep, though I got mine off ebay for £120.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I typically use a synthetic jacket, because it means I can wear it when stopped without worrying about getting it damp/wet
Yep. My battered Alpkit Katabatic jacket is my go to for pretty much down to 0 degrees as long as I've a couple of layers underneath it. I do have a RAB down jacket which gets a shout when its colder but I don't like riding in it.
I'm just going outside ...