January's Virtual Winter Event 2021 (Covid lockdown edition) Jan 9th and 10th

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearlegged

Re: January's Virtual Winter Event 2021 (Covid lockdown edition) Jan 9th and 10th

Post by Bearlegged »

Verena wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:49 pm This is such fun! Just browsing a bit in my lunch break, and so far I have "The Butts" on Cocking Hill; Cross Dykes on Butser Hill; and The Devils Ditch :lol: . Dave, if you're listening, I just need an area from you please, no rush as such, just so I know roughly where and how far out I should search for more appropriately named places :cool:
Titty Hill and Balls Cross might be within range...
RIP

Re: January's Virtual Winter Event 2021 (Covid lockdown edition) Jan 9th and 10th

Post by RIP »

Landslide wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:24 pm
Verena wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:49 pm This is such fun! Just browsing a bit in my lunch break, and so far I have "The Butts" on Cocking Hill; Cross Dykes on Butser Hill; and The Devils Ditch :lol: . Dave, if you're listening, I just need an area from you please, no rush as such, just so I know roughly where and how far out I should search for more appropriately named places :cool:
X_X

I just knew this was going to happen.

It's on my list to do a circuit round your neck of the woods again at some point Verena. The three main destinations will be Lord Hereford's Knob, Three Cocks, and Fan Y Big. I'm sure you've never heard that "joke" before.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Verena wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:49 pm so far I have "The Butts" on Cocking Hill; Cross Dykes on Butser Hill; and The Devils Ditch :lol:
How childish, you'd never find me amused by such things :wink: I take my trips seriously and only take very serious photos...

Tonto has Radford Bottom Lock at Butts Bridge on the GRs I've sent him :grin:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Menlove Avenue was the best i could find

Though this does remind me of when I lived in manchester and Canal Street sign got vandalised , in the Gay Village, with the first two letters of each word removed

None of us could decide if it was abuse by a homophobe or just a joke.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

PaulB2 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:51 pm I remember one meeting where I nearly yelled out "full house!" in the middle of a salesman's pitch since I'd been mentally playing buzzword bingo throughout it. I only resisted because it was our salesman and the MD was in the room too.
Been there, Bullsh!t bingo we called it
Verena

Post by Verena »

RIP wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:40 pm
Landslide wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:24 pm
X_X

I just knew this was going to happen.

It's on my list to do a circuit round your neck of the woods again at some point Verena. The three main destinations will be Lord Hereford's Knob, Three Cocks, and Fan Y Big. I'm sure you've never heard that "joke" before.
Not to mention a swift half at the Black Cock Inn :grin: !

I've never actually managed to sit on Lord Hereford's Knob yet - it's on my list! :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Oooohhh noooo missus! Stobbit!

The best I can manage round here is Great Prickhill and that's only because someone mucked about with the 'B' on the sign.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Alas, my locale has lost out on Butt Hole Road in Conisborough. Apparently it has recently been renamed Archers Way following a campign by residents (presumably E4 listeners?).
We do still have South Yorkshire Police HQ on Letsby Avenue though.
RIP

Post by RIP »

:lol: :lol: :lol: You're kidding?! Mr Reg Gullible.

RIP

Post by RIP »

:lol: :lol: :lol: It is on Letsby Avenue! Well that's absolutely made my evening that has.

RIP

Post by RIP »

=)) <wipes tears> dear oh dear, this is killing me, I'm going all hysterical, totally out of proportion, get a grip Reg.
Last edited by RIP on Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

We have a Knob end near us,
However this was the funniest sign, moments after this photo it collapsed, dumping reg on the ground ‘simple pleasures’ :lol:

We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Stumpym4

Post by Stumpym4 »

Most exciting we have is Wetwang !! ... as seen on Dave :)
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Just a short thank you for your kind messages that you've sent ref the organisation of this "virtual event". :-bd

Just an update the first post is up to date.

Your will see the pairs that have contact with each other in bold at the bottom of the post

The 5 pairs left at the top of the list have luckily got one of each of the pair who has made contact but thier message is still in their outbox.

Reg and I have made the call to do a re draw on Saturday at 8pm (a week after the first draw) matching those underlined on the list (including me) with a new virtual partner.
Those who have not made contact will get a DNS (Did Not Start)

If there is an odd number Reg will take the responsibility to chose this person their GR's.

I wonder if any of you can help please?
Do any of you know any alternative ways to get in touch with the following riders to get them to tune in before Saturday evening?
Brendan / Brendan – Kingston, London
SimonB / wurzel58dog – Bristol
Mo Guy / Moguy - Wimborne, Dorset
*Malc / BrotherSmith – South Staffs*
Sarah + Helen / MagicHat – Glossop, High Peak

*I've FB messaged and posted on Malc's time line, but no reply. I hope he's ok
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Malc does work in a hospital, I think they're quite busy at the moment.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Taylor wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:39 pm Malc does work in a hospital, I think they're quite busy at the moment.
Cheers :-bd
shutuplegs

Post by shutuplegs »

Stumpym4 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:57 pm Most exciting we have is Wetwang !! ... as seen on Dave :)
I saw this when picking your GRs Stumpy, a good few minutes spent chuckling to myself before moving on. It looked a bit main road-y.
“We live and learn, and big mountains are stern teachers” - HW Tilman.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

I know Sarah and Helen, just sent an email to Sarah.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Just an update for the Welsh among us, I've just read the details of the upcoming lockdown, thought it may save some of you a bit of time if I post it here.

It says:

Exercise:
Outdoor individual exercise only.

Travel restrictions:
Stay at home unless
reasonable excuse
No travel into or out of area
without reasonable excuse
No international travel
MagicHat

Post by MagicHat »

Hi

Sorry for late response ... totally missed that you were pairing up last weekend.

"Sarah and Helen" ... still playing out and definitely up for this.
Thanks to "in reverse" for the headsup that i was MIA.

I'll read through and work out what i need to do next and get in touch with my pair!
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Verena wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:10 pm Just an update for the Welsh among us, I've just read the details of the upcoming lockdown, thought it may save some of you a bit of time if I post it here.

It says:

Exercise:
Outdoor individual exercise only.

Travel restrictions:
Stay at home unless
reasonable excuse
No travel into or out of area
No international travel
Yeah its all gone to pot here! You can't even buy a beer in a pub anymore!

So as I live in Conwy county and my GR's that Dave has done (greatly) goes into Gwynedd and Anglesey (also has a bit of a long way round to miss the Denbighshire border), does that mean it needs 'revising'?
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

In Reverse wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:05 pm I know Sarah and Helen, just sent an email to Sarah.
Cheers for your help, :-bd
She's just been in touch and I've told Barney
When i know that they are talking I can take them off my naughty list :wink:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

does that mean it needs 'revising'?
Dont know do they say you cannot leave your county if not its just excercise
MagicHat

Post by MagicHat »

JohnClimber wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:27 pm I can take them off my naughty list :wink:
Haha. I'll drop him a message this afternoon :cool:
Verena

Post by Verena »

Lazarus wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:10 pm
does that mean it needs 'revising'?
Dont know do they say you cannot leave your county if not its just excercise
As far as I'm concerned, I'll just be exercising, alone, in my local area. Can't see a problem with that. Says nothing about not staying away overnight.