Which filter?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

mattpage

Re: Which filter?

Post by mattpage »

Richpips wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:31 pm Hard plastic. yes/ I can honestly say I couldn't design a shitter filter for attracting craap into it's "protective" nozzle, and a breather hole that if you forget not to invert the bottle to drink, will tosh unfiltered water in your face.
Oh dear...
Well this one seems to improve upon those areas considerably. There is a cover over the spout and the breather hole works fine inverted. The biggest down side is the spout is a really hard plastic and you can't grip it with your teeth. I honestly didn't think I would ever need to - but it is amazing how quickly you realise some things when you can't do it.

Still, I am keeping this bottle and I will be using it quite a bit going forward.
The only other big downside, it claims to be 750ml, but add the filter and you have 675ml contents.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

stevewaters wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:10 pm I have a spare Befree 0.6L that I bought when I thought I had lost one but then found it again! It has filtered about 5 litres so is practically new.

I also have an MSR Tailshot which has filtered about 25 litres and still in good condition.

Both for sale. - If interested, please message me.
Cheers, I'll message you about this :-bd
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Www.backpackinglight.com which encompassed the ultra light community Eg Appalacian trail hikers etc
Recommend the Befree for Throughput, similar technology to the Sawyer

https://backpackinglight.com/ultralight ... ckpacking/

I have the Sawyer mini, branded CareFree, I had to backflush it.

**They recommend you prime it first pushing water through vertically from the bag at bottom, it purges air which if trapped Impair throughput/ flow rate,
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
benp1

Post by benp1 »

My travel tap fitted in a bottle cage just fine.

Lost it in the alps. Bought a replacement but let it freeze by accident so it died.

Replaced it with a trailshot to make easier to fill from tricky streams. Not as good at removing viruses but otherwise good
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

I've gone with the MSR trail shot :-bd
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If any doesn't receive the BB newsletter or simply doesn't read it, you might be interested to know that Water-to-go are offering Boners a 25% discount on their 'Active' water bottle filter. All you need to do is enter the code BBB25 when you checkout.

You can read about it here: https://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.c ... 4493246018
May the bridges you burn light your way
substandard

Post by substandard »

Big fan of the trailshot here too, it’s convenient, easy to clean
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:04 pm If any doesn't receive the BB newsletter or simply doesn't read it, you might be interested to know that Water-to-go are offering Boners a 25% discount on their 'Active' water bottle filter. All you need to do is enter the code BBB25 when you checkout.

You can read about it here: https://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.c ... 4493246018
Bargain!
Echo all you said about it being already there and more practical to use while riding.
Hopefully they continue to evolve it, but even now its a great filter overall.