BB200 2020

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

Re: BB200 2020

Post by JohnClimber »

Richard G wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:11 pm Looking like Monday 12th for me currently. I'd like the ground to dry up a bit with the dry weather on Saturday / Sunday!
Me too starting from the north at first light but over 2 or 3 days with no rush.
Catch me if (when) you can :wink:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Should I be planning for midges?
Not really.
Me too starting from the north at first light but over 2 or 3 days with no rush.
You really shouldn't have very much problem doing it within 36 hours John.
May the bridges you burn light your way
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:39 pm
You really shouldn't have very much problem doing it within 36 hours John.
Cheers Stu, I'll be doing my BAM in the middle, stopping not too long after dark on day 1, hopefully at around KM 125 (10km/hr) from my start point and off again at first slight again.
But I'm not going to push myself and just bimble along with only minimal stopping and faffing.

I'm no sprinter but I can bimble along for hours on end, never doing a BB200 and never riding down there is a 10km/hr average achievable for someone like me over this terrain?

Also lunch at H-on-W, evening food at CH stocking up for breakfast here too.
and a late lunch in BW on the 2nd day.

I should be able to live on the food I pick up in the SPAR's and Coops without taking any cooking gear shouldn't I?
I don't need tea or coffee
Last edited by JohnClimber on Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

'm no sprinter but I can bimble along for hours on end, never doing a BB200 and never riding down there is a 10km/hr average achievable for someone like me over this terrain?
Yeah, it's a reasonable figure.
May the bridges you burn light your way
slarge

Post by slarge »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:36 am I foresee quite a few people riding this year who haven't bothered to enter but have either found the route on-line or have simply decided to tag along with someone who has. If that theory proves correct then next year may see the BB200 become invitation only.
I'm not so sure Stu. I think the weather will put lots of people off. A few might start but many will bail - especially as this week is going to be wet and that'll make the going very soft and slow.

I'm aiming to start mid afternoon this Friday - a different strategy to usual as I normally struggle to ride through the night after a full day in the saddle, so this time I'm going for a few hours before it gets dark with the idea that a fresh head will stay awake all night!! (it worked for me on the Dales Divide). That way I should be able (legs and head willing) to get round in 1 hit. The big sting in the tail is the 8000m of climbing (on the 300 route). Biggest amount I will have done in 1 hit, so it might be a hands and knees job near the end. Still unsure of the start point. Hay-on Wye looks favourable as it gets the biggest climb done in daylight, however it does mean the Gap is in the dark, and I'm not sure how wise that is (is any of this wise??). It also has some nice coffee shops for the post ride fill up.

It really will be interesting at the end of October to see what everyone has done - write ups are encouraged on here (good times and bad times!!) - let's just hope Covid doesn't put an end to playtime!
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Gap is quite tame in reality. No reason it would be much harder at night as long as you've got reasonable lights.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Richard G wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:46 pm Gap is quite tame in reality. No reason it would be much harder at night as long as you've got reasonable lights.
I've only ridden it twice (and many years ago) - seem to remember it's very bouldery and I also remember nearly losing it and missing out on a visit to Brecon A&E. But I was going way beyond my (limited) ability
stevewaters

Post by stevewaters »

slarge wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:41 pm I'm aiming to start mid afternoon this Friday - a different strategy to usual as I normally struggle to ride through the night after a full day in the saddle, so this time I'm going for a few hours before it gets dark with the idea that a fresh head will stay awake all night!! (it worked for me on the Dales Divide). That way I should be able (legs and head willing) to get round in 1 hit.
Interesting idea. I have never yet done an all-nighter. I am currently planning to start (the 200) at very first light and have the night at the end. That seemed to instinctively better than doing the night first and then the day. Your strategy has opened my eyes to a third way ! :-bd
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Another advantage of getting the night riding in fairly early is that you get a natural high when the sun rises. Even if you're already a bit weary, that can spur you on a bit. It's also then easier to find food/drink/services during the day. That might be as simple as sourcing clean water which can be tricky in the dark.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

slarge wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:51 pm I've only ridden it twice (and many years ago) - seem to remember it's very bouldery and I also remember nearly losing it and missing out on a visit to Brecon A&E. But I was going way beyond my (limited) ability
It is fairly rocky, but I wouldn't say "bouldery". Couple of steps in places, but nothing massive.

I mean, I'll be walking most of the bad bits, but that's my own mental issue to deal with.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Richard G wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:46 pm Gap is quite tame in reality. No reason it would be much harder at night as long as you've got reasonable lights.
My friend Russ is a paraplegic after an mtb crash on the Gap. Please be careful
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
slarge

Post by slarge »

Of course it might mean that starting the ride after a stressful day at work could be counterproductive, but if you can have an easy day then start riding it has worked (once) for me.

Dave- yes, aware of him and what happened - care is a given on the whole ride. I certainly don’t bounce like I used to!!
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Dave Barter wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:21 pm My friend Russ is a paraplegic after an mtb crash on the Gap. Please be careful
Sure, but you could have exactly the same thing happen on any of the BB routes (or any mountain biking for that matter... I have some experience in the matter).

My point is there's really nothing there that's extreme compared to the normal rockier stuff we see.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Dave Barter wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:21 pm My friend Russ is a paraplegic after an mtb crash on the Gap. Please be careful
Gulp :o
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Richard G wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:26 pm
Sure, but you could have exactly the same thing happen on any of the BB routes (or any mountain biking for that matter... I have some experience in the matter).
This.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Steve the gap has been tamed mate, there's nothing now that will catch u out. It used to be great but now its just mediocre. There are way better descents in the brecons now. It got scrapped and sanitised a few yrs back.
Point and shoot in the beam :0)
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

This is great, I haven't a clue where you are all talking about. For all the routes I've done in Scotland I've gone in with a fair bit of knowledge. For this I know pretty much hee haw and I'm looking forward to taking it all as it comes. I'm not even going to do much / any route home work :-bd
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

An occasional riding buddy started today from Hay on Wye. Choice quote from this afternoon:

"there's no way a bike has ridden some of these tracks in years"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

He's had a quite a rough, slow day by the sounds of things, including a 45 minute diversion due to an uncrossable river...
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

At what mile is the gap?
May satan walk with you
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

In Reverse wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:08 pm An occasional riding buddy started today from Hay on Wye. Choice quote from this afternoon:

He's had a quite a rough, slow day by the sounds of things, including a 45 minute diversion due to an uncrossable river...
Sounds like a BB200 to me.

Struggling to work out where there would be an uncrossable river though.
ssnowman wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:11 pm At what mile is the gap?
The 200 joins the gap route about 58 miles in. Leaves it about 69 miles in.

The long descent is about 66 miles in.
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

Thanks!
May satan walk with you
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Richard G wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:25 pm
In Reverse wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:08 pm An occasional riding buddy started today from Hay on Wye. Choice quote from this afternoon:

Sounds like a BB200 to me.

Struggling to work out where there would be an uncrossable river though.

Soon as you leave Hay on Wye about 3 or 4 miles down there's a stream that didn't look like there was a bridge to it. I had to just ride straight through and had I dabbed I'd probably have been ankle high. I imagine after the rains this must've become a river of sorts...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

htrider wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:02 pm This is great, I haven't a clue where you are all talking about. For all the routes I've done in Scotland I've gone in with a fair bit of knowledge. For this I know pretty much hee haw and I'm looking forward to taking it all as it comes. I'm not even going to do much / any route home work :-bd
Based on my one experience, expect lots more gates and lots more sheep's hit than you are used to.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:00 am
htrider wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:02 pm This is great, I haven't a clue where you are all talking about. For all the routes I've done in Scotland I've gone in with a fair bit of knowledge. For this I know pretty much hee haw and I'm looking forward to taking it all as it comes. I'm not even going to do much / any route home work :-bd
Based on my one experience, expect lots more gates and lots more sheep's hit than you are used to.
Gates with sub standard hinges held shut with plastic twine is the usual arrangement in mid Wales.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:58 pm Soon as you leave Hay on Wye about 3 or 4 miles down there's a stream that didn't look like there was a bridge to it. I had to just ride straight through and had I dabbed I'd probably have been ankle high. I imagine after the rains this must've become a river of sorts...
This bit?

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/6601573
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2215596