In Reverse

Re: BB200 2020

Post by In Reverse »

Landslide wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:59 pm at least 6 pubs
The Rule of Six :-bd
Mike

Post by Mike »

:shock: I'd be wasted after the 2nd pub.

Sean, the jennride was a toughy this yr but a great route again by rich! Shame we had so much rain. I'd like to go and do it again unless rich is running that route next yr then ill wait :-bd
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I've love to have the social side, but I guess it's just another symptom of the current madness that we have to deal with.

Unrelated, is there anything open in Builth late? I think that'll probably be my last chance of anything based on my start point (and that's being optimistic).

Edit - I knew exactly where, given I'd driven past it late about a million times. The Spar / Texaco on the A483. 11pm. Reasonable chance assuming no issues.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Richard G wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:58 pm Unrelated, is there anything open in Builth late? I think that'll probably be my last chance of anything based on my start point (and that's being optimistic).
There's a kebab shop, also Burger King, and the petrol station/coop, but not sure what time they close.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

JulioJulio wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:36 pm
JohnClimber wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:56 am
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:06 am Some of the comments below the video made me smile - quite obviously a few were written by people who've never ridden (a) in Wales (b) off-road (c) a BB200 :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v22jgUf ... rFQi0dv-Y4
She says
"never done an event like this before"
"out of my comfort zone"

Then she says "17 hours"

I've not done it before either.
I'm not even expecting an under 36 hours badge
Um, excuse me, that's me you're referring to. What you've said is just not true. I don't say I'm gonna do it in 17 hours at all.
Firstly, welcome to the forum.

Secondly - what had you done to your cat to get *that* stare :shock:

Back on subject. Any positivity about a BB200 route is simply bravado on our part as experience has proven that at some point, no matter what your bike, you'll be pushing, hoiking and generally (wo)manhandling your bike for an hour or two across terrain unsuitable for any form of transit wondering if you are actually on route (you are) and if there's a better line off to the side (there isn't). Often the BB200 coincides with some particularly choice weather to add to the fun but this year you'll have to search that out yourself.

Tips:
  • Eat, lots!
  • Focus on getting round rather than a particular time, the latter will take care of itself.
  • Bivvying and getting round inside the cutoff is very doable so don't be afraid of stopping for a couple of hours.
  • Use sites like Geograph.org.uk to see what sections of the route are like, particularly those not reached by Google Streetview.
  • The GPS track may straightline some parts of the route, there aren't many straight lines in the countryside, particularly in Wales :wink:
  • Have a sheet of paper with opening times of resupply points (and the distances between them)
  • You will enjoy it, but you might not realise it.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bob wrote:opening times of resupply points
I've no right to comment on BB200, being an armchair rider in awe of you lot, but it's interesting to see people starting in different places and the reasons for those choices.

Is there not an optimum start point based on best times to be at all resupply points? That'd be about my main criteria if I was bonke.. I mean fit enough.. to enter at all, rather than terrain. Or is re-supply not actually that big an issue for people? If not, what are one's criteria? Blindfolded pin in the map sounds a good one.

Obviously it would be weird to start at the northern limit if one lived at the southern limit but maybe not.

An interesting variation of the Rules might have been "you must start at the nearest location to where you live". It seems that some of the challenge has been removed by allowing choice of start - but one can hardly begrudge that I suppose given all the other evil nastiness involved :smile: .
Last edited by RIP on Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

An interesting variation of the Rules might have been "you must start at the nearest location to where you live".
I figured that an open policy might hopefully spread things out as much as possible Reg - 'things' being people :wink:
coz I like chatting aint that right stu ;0)
On the contrary, I always struggle to get a peep out of you :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I’m aiming to start near Hay. Partly because I have a mate nearby who’s offered to put me up the night before and partly based on the look of the route and what terrain I’ll need to negotiate in the early hours (if things go to plan).

I always take lots of food (too much - it’s one of my numerous Achilles heels) and tend to view resupply as a bonus. This year there’s a bit more civilisation directly on route, so I’ll try to persuade myself to pack fewer flapjacks from the start. It’s not the biggest influence on my choice of start point, though.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:06 am
An interesting variation of the Rules might have been "you must start at the nearest location to where you live".
I figured that an open policy might hopefully spread things out as much as possible Reg - 'things' being people :wink:
Good point, I keep forgetting there's a war on :wink: . But given that victims still can choose where to start you'd think they'd bunch at a couple of obvious places. Unlike WRT the route is fixed - you change or make any decisions you like at any time you like (or at least you misguidely believe anything at all is within your control :wink: ) on WRT but here it could be critical if you'd started in the 'wrong' place. I can handle any amount of bog, rain and tussock but if I ran out of Tunnocks that be it. End Of.

OK, instead of start anywhere or start near where you live, how about having 100 different start points and randomly allocating them to sufferers? Yes Sir, right Sir, Reg shutting up now Sir! :grin: .
Last edited by RIP on Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

Charliecres wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:25 am ... resupply ....it’s not the biggest influence on my choice of start point, though.
And there's my answer of course :smile: .. despite what might seem obvious start points we are all different. Still think my question is interesting though. Or rather the answers are.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

OK, instead of start anywhere or start near where you live, how about having 100 different start points and randomly allocating them to sufferers? Yes Sir, right Sir, Reg shutting up now Sir! :grin: .
It's a good thought Reg and it was considered - as was allocating different routes :wink: I foresee quite a few people riding this year who haven't bothered to enter but have either found the route on-line or have simply decided to tag along with someone who has. If that theory proves correct then next year may see the BB200 become invitation only.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:36 am I foresee quite a few people riding this year who haven't bothered to enter but have either found the route on-line or have simply decided to tag along with someone who has.
:sad: . I really feel for you on that. Bag of worms though and don't want to start discussions like we had a while ago over the 'rules/ethics breaking' during a certain international event. Your skill and ingenuity - and those other qualities/characteristics :wink: - always seems to keep things straight though thank goodness.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It's not a particular problem from a personal stand Reg but it seems somewhat unfair on those people who have stepped up to the mark and paid their money. It's not like the routes don't go into the public domain after the event and obviously everyone is free* to ride them once they do.

*in every sense.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Absolutely. I feel a bit bad about peeping into the worm bag now so let's tie it back up again and put it back in the cupboard. Hey, it's a lovely crisp and sunny Autumn day so we... oh, wait....

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Reg - maybe it's folks varying expectations of speed that make the start points so variable. It might also have something to do with bike choice. Taking a gravel bike, some folk would perhaps start where they had a long easy section first just to get some miles early. Lots of playing with strategies...
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Me , I’m just starting where there’s a train station and a pub willing to house me for the night , the train station thing is out of the window as the Shrewsbury to Swansea line is closed till November so I’m gonna have to drive now any how :roll:
RIP

Post by RIP »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:17 am strategies
Aye, good point Colin. Myriad strategies of course = fun. Trouble is I was educated at the Chew School Of Wingit. If I had any strategy it would probably be solely Tunnocks-based.
MaM wrote: pub
How could I forget that strategy! Good man Stu, upholding our proud and noble traditions. Expected nothing less really :-bd .

Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I know I always go out too hard (even though I always feel like I'm going slower than others at the start), so that means I'm going to put the worst hills in first. Hay-On-Wye it is then. If I hit those near the end of the ride I'd almost certainly end up having to walk all of them, and walking aint my strong suit right now.

Negative is there will be a bunch of "route on the ground unsure" in the night, but I'm happy enough shambling around in the dark.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

RIP wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:53 am
ScotRoutes wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:17 am strategies
Aye, good point Colin. Myriad strategies of course = fun. Trouble is I was educated at the Chew School Of Wingit. If I had any strategy it would probably be solely Tunnocks-based.
MaM wrote: pub
How could I forget that strategy! Good man Stu, upholding our proud and noble traditions. Expected nothing less really :-bd .
As I said before reg I know I ain’t black or blue badge rider ,but after my little excursion on the big bear last year I’m reasonably confident I can cover the mileage required per day whilst not missing out on too much sleep or refreshment I always work on 5mph average over 14/15 hour days with 5hours kip in the middle , as long as I don’t cop for another snow and hail storm like I did last April .(then the sleep thing may be readdressed) :wink:
Mike

Post by Mike »

Anyone know of any places to dump a car near hay?? :wink:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Mike wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:56 am Anyone know of any places to dump a car near hay?? :wink:
There's a free car park near the river... but don't park there if it's raining.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-englan ... r-51523074

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... d+Car+Park#
Mike

Post by Mike »

Ta rich I did see that but couldn't tell if it was pay n display or not! Still unxecided on start point as wanna get the long hike sections done earlier on whilst light... weather is looking good at mo for fri sat down that way so may bring it forward a day :0)
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Looking like Monday 12th for me currently. I'd like the ground to dry up a bit with the dry weather on Saturday / Sunday!
Euge

Post by Euge »

Mike wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:56 am Anyone know of any places to dump a car near hay?? :wink:
I was thinking of driving out of Hay and up maybe to Hay Bluff Car Park so I am up a bit, but of course I'd have to finish with the uphill out of Hay. :o
DNF BB2020
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Should I be planning for midges?

(As I'm only aiming for the 200, I should be safe from werewolves.)