New to the forum, Looking for newbie advice?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

restlessshawn

Re: New to the forum, Looking for newbie advice?

Post by restlessshawn »

I'm liking the halfway house of a tarp tent. Mine pitches really fast with 1 pole and 6 pegs, has much more room than a 1 man tent, easy to cook in as I just have a groundsheet under the bed not all over the floor and on a fine night I've just left the door open. Mine is hopefully* midge proof too and weighs in @ 616g (tarp, pole, proper pegs, tyvek grounsheet). Obviously no need to sleep in a bivi bag too which is a big plus for me.

On a tighter budget and if I didn't care about the midge thing (I do live in Scotland) I'd have gone with Stu's alpkit delta recommendation, bin the inner and add a 100g tyvek grounsheet.

*not tested in a full on battle yet
DanDax1990

Post by DanDax1990 »

Cheers for all the replies guys, muchly appreciated!

I like the idea of both types of set-ups and after having a look and a think I'm still not sure which type of set-up to try first >.<

Seems as I'll be doing this mainly with my brother, I'm thinking of maybe getting a different set-up each and we can give each others a try then to see which we prefer individually.

Also looking at upping the budget, bivi wise I like the look of the more expensive 'hooped' bivis. So looking at up to £100 for a bivi, not sure about my brother, But something like this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aqua-Quest-Hoop ... quest+bivi

Tent wise, also looking at spending more. Same again up to £100'ish.

Seems as we won't be in a hurry to get our gear together, is there any known websites that have sales etc over winter?

And for our first few attempts were keeping it local/known. My parents often go camping at Cononley camp site over towards Skipton and we've rode on via the Canal which was a nice ride so looking at something along the lines of that for the first couple, but lengthening the ride a bit, maybe to Skipton then back to the camp site.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

IMO hooped bivvy offers the worst of both worlds - similar weight to a tent but no room and lots of condensation issues usually.

What might produce a good compromise is something from Luxe outdoor. I'd take a look at their Mini Peak II or Sil-Rocket. They're both a touch over budget but do offer lots of pitching options and could fit 2 of you in without much trouble. They're available in the UK but can often be found cheaper in Europe. You also wouldn't require a bivvy bag either.

Sil-Rocket: http://www.arklight-design.com/PBSCProd ... D=11962528

Mini Peak: http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/shelters-1/WF101.html
May the bridges you burn light your way
DanDax1990

Post by DanDax1990 »

That Mini Peak II looks like the one, Looks very nice.

I doubt we'd both fit into it though, Would need a 4 man for that haha.
Eoghan

Post by Eoghan »

I've got a mate who keeps giving me jibes that his tent (TN Laser Photon) is lighter than my bivvy + tarp setup. (Rab Alpine bivvy, TN Competition tarp). That said, the bivvy + tarp combo (with a nice new set of poles from Stu, yet to be tested) was a good bit cheaper.

Hooped bivvy like a TN Jupiter sounds like a good compromise but is horrible - convenient and fairly light, but pricey and the main problem is that in bad weather you've nowhere to hide except inside the bag - getting (un)dressed and cooking in the rain is pretty unpleasant.

Ultimately I like to have both options. I prefer bivvies in good weather and a tent in bad weather. Those ultralight 1-man tents can feel a bit flimsy in rough weather as well. A robust 2-man tent for winter trips can be a good way to go.
DanDax1990

Post by DanDax1990 »

Cheers for the heads up, I reckon we'll end up getting a different set-up each and see which works best.

I like the idea of both but the tent/extra room would definitely be nice seems as we're both fairly big/overweight/fat lads.

Another thing, To the people who use tents, what do you do with your bike overnight? If there's no room to fit inside the tent. I know a lot of people use their frame/wheels etc to hold their tarps up but what about when it's a 1 man tent with no room for the bike?

That's what I like about the Mini Peak II, Should be enough room to leave the bike inside the tent overnight along with backpack etc. And the fact there's plenty of room to cook inside etc during bad weather.

I really think that's the tent I'm going to go for. Had a look at a review of the tent lastnight on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjR4XOrZQrk) and it looks very good to me.

Also, the weight of 1.7kg, although may be very heavy to some people, to me that seems light. I'm used to riding a fairly heavy bike (Around 13.5 kgs) and I don't mind weight on my back.

How many people use a bar harness or have items strapped to their bars? How do you get on with the feel of the front end? I think I'd rather have a saddle bag, frame bag and a rucksack without the bar harness.
DanDax1990

Post by DanDax1990 »

The only thing is it says (No stock, delayed dispatch) Does this mean if I was to order, they'd put in an order to their supplier and then send it out to me? Or that there is no stock left at all? Can't find this tent for sale elsewhere.

Also, Does anyone know of any other tents, at the same kind of price point, with the same kind of design/spare room?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Email them, I'm sure they'll be able to give you an ETA. There are a couple of possible alternatives such as the Luxe Mini Peak Sil' (no stock either) and the SMD Lunar but both are a little bit more expensive.

Lunar LE: http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/shelters-1/WF113.html

A Golite Shangri-la 3 would be ideal if you can find one secondhand, maybe even a Trailstar?
How many people use a bar harness or have items strapped to their bars? How do you get on with the feel of the front end? I think I'd rather have a saddle bag, frame bag and a rucksack without the bar harness.
In general a bar harness (or just drybag on bars) will upset the handling less than the same weight on the rear and knacker you out much less than having it on your back ;)
DanDax1990

Post by DanDax1990 »

Had a look at the Golite Shangri-la 3, Don't think I'm prepared to spend that much and have read a fair few reviews of which people compare both tents and say there's not much in it between the two? Also it doesn't come with the inner nest like the Mini Peak's so would cost more there too?

The Sil Mini Peak looks like an option, pretty much the same design but lighter and a few tweaks for not much more money? Read a few reviews and all of which say it's a bargain and works very well.

Sent them an email regarding both the Sil and Mini Peak II so will see what they say.
DanDax1990

Post by DanDax1990 »

Apart from eBay and here, Is there any other websites to have a look on for used equipment?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Try putting a wanted ad' on Outdoors Magic forum ... I'd be surprised if that didn't turn a Mini Peak up.

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/
DanDax1990

Post by DanDax1990 »

Cheers, muchly appreciated.
DanDax1990

Post by DanDax1990 »

Bit off topic but today I went back to the hospital regarding my broken collarbone.

The incident happened on the 26th of July and it resulted in a double fracture on my left side, So anyway. Today I went back to see the consultant and had another X-Ray, The bones don't seem to be healing properly and they're still overlapped by about 2-3cm.

The last time I went, 4 weeks ago, I was told to move my arm/do some stretches to help it heal and I was allowed to take it out of the sling from time to time.

Today the consultant said I shouldn't of been moving it and should keep my arm in the sling at all times...

He mentioned it could need operating on... But he told me to go back in 4 weeks time to see how it's getting on before deciding.

Am I the only person who's thinking they need to pull their finger out and sort it out properly?

Until it's fully healed I can't work, I work at a Steel/Titanium extrusion and all the work I do involves heavy lifting. It's starting to depress me now, If I could afford to, I'd go private to get it sorted.

Anyone on here who has previously broken their collarbone?

There's the original X-Ray, Am I the only person thinking that it's not magically going to shift back to how it was and heal up? I was told if it stays overlapped it needs to be operated on due to the risk of nerves and veins etc getting caught and I can tell by feeling the bone that it's still pretty much the same as it was in that X-Ray.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that's nasty, a double break like that is going to take time to heal and if I where you then i'd prepare myself to the idea of a possible op. Looking on the bright side though it will give you time to search the net for all the gear your after at a knock down price.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

I wouldn't be sitting around for 4 weeks to see if that healed, looks right nasty!
DanDax1990

Post by DanDax1990 »

I'm more gutted due to the fact that the last time I went to see the consultant, He told me to move my arm to help with the healing. Everything felt fine, pretty much back to normal. No pain what so ever so I was thinking everything was well on the mend and I'd be back to normal soon. And then today I get told it's only just healing up but very slowly.

I was expecting them to put me through for the operation and I still can't work out why they haven't. They just don't care, In 4 weeks it will of been 11 week'ish, If they then tell me it needs an operation that far on I'm going to be gutted.

Also more pissed off due to the fact that I've only been back into cycling for about 16 months now, I've lost almost 4 stone since then, My fitness is loads better but now It's going to have taken a massive hit and I've already put almost a st back on.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I've heard of folks having lazier treatment that was very effective iirc (Mike at Dialledbikes and Martin Ogden). Not sure on details but I would defo go private and get it sorted.
DanDax1990

Post by DanDax1990 »

I would do but I'm not in a position to be able to, I really can't afford to. So frustrating.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

DanDax1990 wrote:My fitness is loads better but now It's going to have taken a massive hit and I've already put almost a st back on.
Run
DanDax1990

Post by DanDax1990 »

You try running without moving your shoulders lol It'd probably do more damage than riding.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

DanDax1990 wrote:I would do but I'm not in a position to be able to, I really can't afford to. So frustrating.
Shield that all depends in how much it costs? Up to you of course. Tbh, I'd contact the doc and ask him the questions again, mebe even ask for a second opinion. Medics can be funny nuggets but they're human and can also make mistakes, or maybe just nor explain very well why a particular course of action is appropriate.
Cornish Neil

Post by Cornish Neil »

Bummer about the shoulder, looks nasty.

If you will generally be going out in pairs I'd definitely go for the alpkit delta, I have quite a bit of kit (other lightweight tents, hooped bivi, bivi, tarps etc) and if there was 2 of us in anything other than exceptional weather (good or bad) I would take the delta every time, i personally use the inner too as its hardly any heavier than a groundsheet. Effectively its £30 and about 600g each, with an entrance each side so room to get in and out and cook independently. The tent will keep the rain off, midges out, and is significantly warmer than a bivi/ tarp too by keeping the wind off and acting like an extra layer of insulation keeping the warmer air in the tent (its noticeably colder as soon as you open the door), so you can get away with a slightly lighter/ cheaper/ more packable sleeping bag too.

Hope that shoulder heals up ok.
Time would be better spent getting the miles in instead of fretting about how many ml of meths to carry...
DanDax1990

Post by DanDax1990 »

I like the look of the Alpkit Delta but for both of us, There's not enough room. We're both around 6ft tall and stocky/fat lads, My brother is definitely larger though :D

My brother mentioned using a large tarp, with both bikes in the center on their saddle/handle bars used to hold the tarp up. He's worried about the bikes being secure overnight and would also mean they'll keep out of any rain. Anyone use this type of set-up?

This is getting very complicated haha, Too many option and a lot of things need to be bought! If I was able to get out and ride it would be much easier as I'd be buying the things I need now but instead I have time to look at things, the more I look the more I see, the more different options there is.

I still really like the idea of the Mini Peak 2 or the Sil Mini Peak.