Joystick with piggyback?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Joystick with piggyback?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Anyone got any first hand experience of running a Joystick with a single cell piggy back battery?

Run times on both high and low would be handy to know ... I'm wondering whether I can get away with using one as a sole light on the BB 200.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Taylor

Re: Joystick with piggyback?

Post by Taylor »

I've a Diablo mk2 with single cell which I've come close to printed burn times but never ran out.
Full beam on that is 2hrs with PB
Half is 6hrs with PB
Low is 10hrs with PB

I use a mixture of low beam for fire roads and full beam for singletrack.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

s8tannorm wrote:Anyone got any first hand experience of running a Joystick with a single cell piggy back battery?

Run times on both high and low would be handy to know ... I'm wondering whether I can get away with using one as a sole light on the BB 200.
I've run a joystick on it's own, and it's pretty close to actual burn times, with a whiteye it's about half burn time but double light output. Seeing as the extra cell really does actually double the capacity I expect it to double the burn time (and also my friend who had this setup I think can confirm this).

So yeah, I reckon a safe bet. ;)
24tom

Post by 24tom »

Sole light, as in nothing brighter on the bars? Not sure I'd fancy that. Would far rather carry the extra few hundred grams for something like an Exposure Reflex too. But, I do have awful night vision (and not much better day vision).

I reckon I could only go walking pace with just a joystick!
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

24tom wrote:Sole light, as in nothing brighter on the bars? Not sure I'd fancy that. Would far rather carry the extra few hundred grams for something like an Exposure Reflex too. But, I do have awful night vision (and not much better day vision).

I reckon I could only go walking pace with just a joystick!
I remember riding on halogens with 40 mins runtime, in a group you took it in turns to lead at the front on the easier bits so everyonelse can rest their lights and make the batteries last :lol:
24tom

Post by 24tom »

Aye, I generally didn't bother with night riding then... Was just plain dangerous for me (and those who I was out with!)
Chew

Post by Chew »

You can always borrow my Maxx-D if you wanted?
24tom

Post by 24tom »

But, I'd still stand by what I said. I think it's worth the weight penalty to have better lights and be able to ride faster/safer... Especially when tired.
Ian

Post by Ian »

I've found my Diablo to be so bright on the highest setting that the contrast between its light beam and the surrounding darkness hurts my eyes :?
Tend to set it to run on a medium setting for downhill or very low for climbs.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You can always borrow my Maxx-D if you wanted?
Ta Chew, I've a few lights that are more than up to it ... was just looking to cut down on faff really.
May the bridges you burn light your way