Replacement rotor recommendations?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Zoglug

Replacement rotor recommendations?

Post by Zoglug »

After just coming off my bike on my way to the nearby trails (god damn tram tracks), it appears I have bent my front rotor so will be needing a new one.

The bike is an on one 456 equipped with avid elixir 5 brakes and just wondered what people would recommend. Pad wise, I'll be using the sintered pads from superstar components.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Replacement rotor recommendations?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I bought a pair of Superstar floating rotors for one bike in 160mm flavour and was so impressed I bought a second set for another bike in 180 + 160mm.

The ones I bought were the old style not the new Alpine ones ... they were reduced to £12.50 each.
May the bridges you burn light your way
jameso

Post by jameso »

I've gone back to basic Avid Clean-sweep G2s, or round, old-school XTs. Simpler and hassle-free. Overly wavy, light or 2-piece designs that can rattle or rub just aren't worth it. Superstar/Aztec wavys look ok for the money but I'm wary of wavy rotors that aren't shimano or avid, too easy to get a variation in surface area or edges that makes odd noises, vibrations, etc.
24tom

Post by 24tom »

Aztec slightly wavey design... Lots of cut outs mean they are light, but don't seem to have any detrimental effect on power. Pretty cheap too!
Aidan

Post by Aidan »

Note sure what to recommend, but I would think twice about using KCNC or Ashima lightweight rotors. I've had both and they wear through really quickly.

There's so much drilled out of the middle of the braking surface that it wears into a groove, which then wears out your pads more quickly. Then, after a few months, they're down to a sliver of metal holding things together.

Since, I use two sets of wheels these days, I have the more substantial (Avid G2) rotors day-to-day and keep the weight weenie ones for races.