New Alpkit Bikepacking Gear

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: New Alpkit Bikepacking Gear

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The bloke in the video said it was designed to allow minimalists to mount it directly.
Yep, that was my understanding after speaking to Nick at the WRT.
May the bridges you burn light your way
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Hmm, I'd forgot all about the airlok seatpack - definitely sounds interesting. I wonder how they will price it though?

I decided to have a bash at a MYOG handlebar harness - will post results later ;)
Hoojum

Post by Hoojum »

Lughnasadh, I can't find that video, any chance of a link?
Adrian Brewster

Post by Adrian Brewster »

Hoojum

Post by Hoojum »

No I haven't seen that video, how about a link to it?
Lughnasadh

Post by Lughnasadh »

Linked by Adrian two posts up.
Hoojum

Post by Hoojum »

Ahh, thanks. I thought my post hadn't worked but now realise the thread went on to page 2. Doh!

Seems the shaped AirLok (Cuttlefish) might be some time if there getting them made in China. I'll keep an eye out for it hitting the Alpkit store.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Been looking at different designs for my harness project and noticed that the new Alpkit harness doesn't seem to protect the drybag from the brake levers very well :

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Been looking at different designs for my harness project and noticed that the new Alpkit harness doesn't seem to protect the drybag from the brake levers very well :
In reality it's similar to everything else in that regard. How well you fit it and pack it will determine if or where it touches/rubs. The harness in the pic looks to be mounted very high, it looks like there are additional loops that will allow you to mount it lower.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

s8tannorm wrote: In reality it's similar to everything else in that regard. How well you fit it and pack it will determine if or where it touches/rubs. The harness in the pic looks to be mounted very high, it looks like there are additional loops that will allow you to mount it lower.
I'm pretty sure the additional loops are for mounting to different size frames rather than adjusting the height the harness sits at. You can see from this picture that the harness can't really go any lower (on the bike pictured) due to design of the strapping and internal stays at the bottom of the 'Y' :

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm pretty sure the additional loops are for mounting to different size frames rather than adjusting the height the harness sits at. You can see from this picture that the harness can't really go any lower (on the bike pictured) due to design of the strapping and internal stays at the bottom of the 'Y' :
I see what yo mean, that dry bag does look to be very high though. It looks like the top of the harness should be 'rolled' over the top of the dry bag rather than sitting proud ... be interesting to have a play with one.
Backcountrybiking

Post by Backcountrybiking »

Revelate is about to launch the 'terapin' Eric's take on the idea of the wildcat 'Tiger'
but it will be bigger and come with it's own dry bag. don't know a price yet.

With reference to an earlier post, you don't have to run the UK customs gauntlet to buy Revelate designs. As it's available in the UK
http://www.backcountrybiking.co.uk
UK distributor of Revelate designs gear, Alpacka rafts and Force ten tents and provider of bikepacking and packrafting skills training courses and adventures and Packraft hire
Backcountrybiking

Eric's also doing universal fit frame bags too ;)
UK distributor of Revelate designs gear, Alpacka rafts and Force ten tents and provider of bikepacking and packrafting skills training courses and adventures and Packraft hire
Lughnasadh

Post by Lughnasadh »

Backcountrybiking wrote:Revelate is about to launch the 'terapin' Eric's take on the idea of the wildcat 'Tiger'
but it will be bigger and come with it's own dry bag. don't know a price yet.

With reference to an earlier post, you don't have to run the UK customs gauntlet to buy Revelate designs. As it's available in the UK
Sorry, off topic....
Backcountry, any idea what the pricing on the terapin will be? I am thinking about a wildcat tiger or Alpkit Koala as I personally think the revelate stuff is over priced for me. However if the Terapin is competatively priced than I would consider it.
Backcountrybiking

As I Said in my post we have no idea of price yet, I'm sure it will be priced competitively for the quality of the product, I understand alot of people think Revelate is over priced, but you get what you pay for, and from Eric you get an awful lot.

Andy
Backcountrybiking

https://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.c ... oductID=29 update Terapins available soon. still waiting on price.
Andy
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Backcountrybiking wrote:Revelate is about to launch the 'terapin' Eric's take on the idea of the wildcat 'Tiger'
I seem to remember that Eric chucked a bit of a paddy when Wildcat mentioned the word "harness" in the description of the Mountain Lion.

Seems a bit cheeky of him to copy a design.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What is it they say about flattery and imitation ? ;)
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

OK, finished the harness - probably took around 3 hours to make after all the faffing I did but material costs would have been around £12. This includes a cheap bar extender I had lying about which I've used to keep the bag away from the head tube. I also used an old kids table mat to give the main part structure.

Heres some pics :

Me and my brother are doing the West Highland Way this weekend so I'll give it a field test and see how it holds up.

I quite enjoyed making this so I'm going to have a bash at a frame bag when I get back.
Last edited by rudedog on Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Terapin has 2 less straps than the Tiger so may be faster to use which is my only minor issue with the Tiger but I wonder if it's possible to be as secure without those 2 straps. The Tiger's solidity is it's real strength. It just fits so well.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

rudedog wrote:OK, finished the harness - probably took around 3 hours to make after all the faffing I did but material costs would have been around £12. This includes a cheap bar extender I had lying about which I've used to keep the bag away from the head tube. I also used an old kids table mat to give the main part structure.
Just those 2 little white bits of velcro taking the weight then?
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

restlessnative wrote:
Just those 2 little white bits of velcro taking the weight then?
Yeah I'll see how i get on - there's not much weight in the bag and they overlap a good bit - it feels solid. I've got another couple of straps which can go round the bars and under the bag for extra support if it proves to be an issue.
BRP

Post by BRP »

flatfishy wrote:
I seem to remember that Eric chucked a bit of a paddy when Wildcat mentioned the word "harness" in the description of the Mountain Lion.

It would be naive to assume that Eric has only been working on his harness seatpack since the Wildcat Tiger appeared.
I remember him mentioning a harness a long time ago. Scott at Porcelain Rocket also started working on one a long time ago...as did I, and a few myog fans on bikepacking.net
Most companies that have established products already out don't rush their designing and testing just because other people have had the same ideas.
BRP

Post by BRP »

jameso wrote:Terapin has 2 less straps than the Tiger so may be faster to use which is my only minor issue with the Tiger but I wonder if it's possible to be as secure without those 2 straps. The Tiger's solidity is it's real strength. It just fits so well.
I can't speak for Eric's design, but my own only uses the saddle attachment straps and a single end strap to secure, but even with a 13ltr drybag it's really solid.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Anyone seen this yet?

http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/product_info ... cts_id=365

Sorry if it's been done before