Hardtail with Alu frame or new bike?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Albere33

Hardtail with Alu frame or new bike?

Post by Albere33 »

Hi all

I have a Whyte 809 2011 hardtail which is a fine MTB however I am planning some bikepacking inc singletrack, forest roads and footpaths in the scottish wilderness in a few months. I have read a fair bit recently about steel frames and the more I read the more I think I need a new bike fit for purpose. I know the best bike is the one you have but I dont really want to 'nurse' my bike or break it when fully loaded, can anyone give me some real world experience or advice as to durability of steel/alumininium bikes and the components that keep them running.

Cheers
Cheeky Monkey

Re: Hardtail with Alu frame or new bike?

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

If you want a new bike buy one. Otherwise you're better spending the money on some decent, lightweight bivi gear.

A "bikepacking" bike is a myth, just like you should only use a synthetic bag in case down gets wet.

IMO 8-)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'd say more important considerations would be things like, does the bike fit well? Is it stupidly heavy? Do I enjoy riding it and does the colour match my socks ... the answers to those questions should have more bearing on whether you buy a new frame than what material it's made from.*

I really like steel frames, I ride steel frames 95% of the time ... not just for bikepacking but for everything. I know others who only ever ride aluminium frames and a small number that only really ride Ti. One isn't better or worse, just slightly different.

An aluminium frame is likely to be lighter than a similar steel frame too ... so you're already in credit ;)

*saying that, if it's more about 'wanting' than 'needing' carry on and buy whatever takes your fancy.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Albere33

Post by Albere33 »

thanks guys

Cheeky Monkey - lightweight bivi gear I have :) however more than a week in scottish autumn/winter I will prob take a lightweight tent. My solar comp 2 packs small and round about a kilo with tornado pegs. Bivis ok for a few nights but I feel the cold. Hear what your saying about wet bags I have PHD combi and Minim ultra and it rocks.

s8tannorm - may use that credit for some jones bars and a new seatpost, do i need? :P do i want :geek:

Do you think I should change the front fork? Currently have recon gold 100mm but the lockout seems good.

Lastly i have a freeload rack, hasn't slipped any on testing anybody got any serious use of it?
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

Do you think I should change the front fork? Currently have recon gold 100mm but the lockout seems good.
Depends if you want to ride with rigid forks or with suspension, for example a good rigid fork for bike packing would be http://salsacycles.com/components/fargo_fork/ but if you can't live without suspension then stick with what you've got
Ian

Post by Ian »

I would a suspension fork in Scotland is a wise choice. Depends on your riding style and location, but for the highlands, I wouldn't want to ride rigid.

As others have said, the frame will be fine but you can look at other aspects to improve its all day riding comfort; some bars with some good back sweep make sense ergonomically, nice saddle that you can spend all day in, a seatpost with a bit of flex, large volume tyres etc.

Packing the bike is also important and will affect how it handles.

Interested in your sleeping setup. I have the minim ultra, but not the combi. How far have you pushed the two in cold weather?
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Ben98 wrote:Depends if you want to ride with rigid forks or with suspension, for example a good rigid fork for bike packing would be http://salsacycles.com/components/fargo_fork/ but if you can't live without suspension then stick with what you've got
Pretty sure the Whyte 809 is a 26er? In that case suspension corrected 29er forks would not be a good fit.

I like steel bikes but I wouldn't worry about an aluminium frame unless you were riding round the 3rd world* and wanted a man in a shed to be able to fix it

*Scotland doesn't count
Albere33

Post by Albere33 »

restlessnative - yes it is a 26, I did look at salsa Cro moto the other day.

Ian - I have had the bags down to -3 and was plenty warm in just a baselayer. I reckon they could go to around -10 with ease. I do feel the cold though. The bags are a very good system, did not miss having zips, in fact I like having no zips, adjustment is easy and you can get a great seal of warmth. They also do a synthetic combi occasionally in their sale but I think its a little heavier. Of course your own metabolism and a good mat helps. My mat is a neo air xtherm which is also a winner, little bit spendy but I think i got it for £90.00 when they first came out.

Interesting about the seat post with a bit of flex, any thoughts?
Albere33

Post by Albere33 »

Bit of a thread ressurection. Got a new bike in the end and it took a while to build. Went with a Surly Ogre after test riding one with a Rohloff and very happy so far. Fork is a bit heavy and tubeless is a go in the very near future plus some new tyres. Have been looking at the Niner Carbon forks but I will take my time with choosing.
Very happy with the Rohloff so far and I have some crazy Ergon pedals on for the road and tow path which I only realise when I look at them and think Christ their massive!
New Jones bars are sweet and the large rohloff cut ergon grips are very comfortable so far.
Overall the bike is a bit of a tank and feels like it will roll over anything but the ride is fantastic. Bike is also my first 29er.
Have attached a link to a couple of pics. The new Ogre colour is much better in the flesh than it looks in the Surly catalogue.
Thanks for previous advice guys, got plenty of trips planned!
http://s814.photobucket.com/user/rahoodi3/slideshow/