Anyone have a Plug II?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

slowupslowdown-under

Anyone have a Plug II?

Post by slowupslowdown-under »

Just about to order mine to link up the Revo hub and GPS (amongst other gadgets!)

Is it the best available or is there an equally good cheaper option?

Thank you!
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Anyone have a Plug II?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I don't know whether it's as good but I recall Kenny (Alpkit) had a small box on his bars that directed charge between his Revo and other things.

I'm sure there's a link on here somewhere but I can't find it :roll: Think it was about £25.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mart

Post by Mart »

I ordered a Plug 2 on Thursday, so not got it yet
I went for the PAT one, as it offers better outputs at lower speeds, and I'm slow

Whist it is a neat solution, there are other options like
Light charge or Kemo

Although I'm not convinced how waterproof the Kemo might be
2924 miles per Gallon
Dusza

Post by Dusza »

slowupslowdown wrote:Just about to order mine to link up the Revo hub and GPS (amongst other gadgets!)

Is it the best available or is there an equally good cheaper option?

Thank you!
I had one and returned it to the shop. You shouldn't have any problems running your GPS via The Plug II, I'm not sure about the 'other gadgets' though. Everything charging at more than 500mA will probably fail to charge as The Plug II is limited to that current.
Mart

Post by Mart »

Dusza wrote: Everything charging at more than 500mA will probably fail to charge as The Plug II is limited to that current.
Yes I beleive there is a limit of 500mA, although Im not necessarily sure that this will stop devices charging.

Take for example charging an iPhone through a normal plug and USB. Using plug is way faster as it is able to carry more current, using through USB (on a computer) just takes a bit longer. I have no trouble charging my phone through the Plug2

The Plug 2 website does state that its not suitable for charging the likes of larger devices that take significantly more current (like a tablet/iPad etc)

Suppose you just need to check what each unit requires
2924 miles per Gallon
Dusza

Post by Dusza »

Mart wrote: Yes I beleive there is a limit of 500mA, although Im not necessarily sure that this will stop devices charging.
I can only speak for myself and my experiences. In my case it failed at charging two different smartphones (HTC Desire, Motorola Defy+) and a couple of cache batteries. The Plug would start charging and at the moment the device started pulling more than 0.5A would go off again - this continued in a cycle.
I really wanted to be sure it wasn't me making some stupid mistakes and have tested various combinations with/-out PAT etc. I was really bummed coz this is such a neat solution. Now my hopes are with B&M E-Werk
Glad to hear the Plug II works with your iPhone.

I've heard from a ToutTerrain tech that they want to address this issue by introducing their own cache battery.