Rear cassette problems or recommend a replacement

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Cheeky Monkey

Rear cassette problems or recommend a replacement

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

On the Fireline.

10 spd comprising the smaller cogs of an XT cass' and the bigger are an (IIRC) Absolute Black mini-block, about 4 cogs (again, IIRC).

Problem is when in the first cog of the AB (so about middle of cass') the chain slips over the top, cue occassional nuts to stem, horrid mechanical "death" noise as chain grinds across teeth, swearing etc. Happens whether have changed down or up to that ring. Runs smooth and fine in the rest. Of course the crap one is the one I think I'd use most.

Theres a goat link on the mech already.

Any thoughts on how to solve or just recommend me a good, wide range, 10spd cass' to replace? Bits owe me nothing, happy to go simple route for nice smooth biking at the mo.

TIA :grin:
whitestone

Re: Rear cassette problems or recommend a replacement

Post by whitestone »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:53 amHappens whether have changed down or up to that ring. Runs smooth and fine in the rest. Of course the crap one is the one I think I'd use most.
TIA :grin:
There's your reason there ^ Wear is going to be proportional to use :wink:

You don't say what your current largest cog is but Sunrace do 11-42T and 11-46T in 10spd. I've not used the 46T version but have the 42T ones on a couple of bikes and will replace with same.

Edit: replace the chain as well if things are that worn.
Last edited by whitestone on Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

CM
You have answered your own question.
It's worn out!
Sorry to give bad news.... time for a new chain and cassette!
Insanity over vanity
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Shimano do a 10s cassette in 11-42, seems better than the Sunrace it replaced on my bike.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

New chain andcassette like bob said... dont forget that at that kind of wear your front might be totalled already (or at least married too well to the current drivetrain and won't live happily with a new partner :lol: ) and need doing too.

I'd check the chain and if its beyond the 1.0 (1 percent i believe tgat equates to) then also change the front cog/s. My reasoning for this is that the (more than the rest)worn front cog will kill a new chain (thus the cassette also) faster...

Other opinions are available :-bd
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I'd be surprised if it was worn out as it's not been on there that long / the bike's not had that much use.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Well colour me surprised.

Gave it a good looking at and the alloy Absolute Black expander block (biggest four gears or so) was fubar'd, certainly in a couple if cogs. I dont remember riding this loads so surprised. Was probably exacerbated by (now remembered) a bunch of slippage before I fitted the goat link :oops: and maybe just that alloy rings can be a bit pants.

Second surprise was that the chain wasnt even at 0.75 with a checker.

Anyhoo, a new Shimano Deore HG500 10 Speed Cassette 11-42t and it's riding and shifting wonderfully. Best £40 I've spent with Wiggle for a while :grin: