Cuben Shelter

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

didnothingfatal

Cuben Shelter

Post by didnothingfatal »

Pretty simple, who has one, what have you got and how do you rate it?

Currently leaning towards another Lair, possibly with a extended beak. (really like my silnylon Lair with hanging inner)
Brothersmith

Re: Cuben Shelter

Post by Brothersmith »

Hi DNF, I've gor a cuban Lair with beak and vent. Its a bit different to silnylon version.
Things I like
- Light, mine weighs 260g with guys and line locks
- I have never really suffered from condensation in it. Didnt realise how good it was till I got a trailstar which can suffer quite badly
- Dries very quick and doesn't really wet out like Silnylon

Things to consider
- Its difficult to get a taught pitch around beak which makes it noisy in wind
- I have never managed to pitch close to ground, it seems to naturally sit with a 2-3cm gap. Great for ventilation and I have never had rain blown in but it can be drafty in wind. If your Pyranet has high sides this wont be a problem though and I have an Ookworks nano on order to make it a bit more cosy in colder weather.
- The beak closure on mine is velcro. This is a pain to open and close. I dont know if this deliberate as zips can transfer strain or whether its done to save weight but I would rather have the few extra grams of a zip. It also tends to blow open if the wind is hitting one side of the beak which makes the flapping worse (been woken up more than once in the middle of the night from this happening :roll: ). I plan to sort this by fitting a press stud tab at the base if I can.
- I am not sure you need the extra roof vent. It seems really well vented and I have never had condensation and I dont think the loss of top vent would be detrimental. The vent also limits how small you can screw it up as it has a rib to hold it open.

In Summery
I am probably sounding a bit down on it, but in reality the problems are all with the beak and they are only minor. I didn't appreciate how good it was till I got a trailstar to compare it too. Its a great light weight 3 season tarp which you could probably use on valley pitches in winter. For exposed locations in bad weather I would want my Trailstar

If your going BB summer camp your welcome to have a noisy. Some pics below

Fieldhead campsite by Brother Smith, on Flickr

New tarp tent by Brother Smith, on Flickr
Lair and Pyranet 1 packed by Brother Smith, on Flickr
didnothingfatal

Cheers for that. Had email from John at BPW today he recommended a Lair with peak and vent, now thinking just basic Cuben Lair :?
Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

Depends if you mind flapping. If you dont then get a zip put in the beak and go for that, its perfectly sound just a bit noisy in wind. If it is likely to bother you go "sans" beak. If you already have lair with beak that you plan on keeping I would go latter
didnothingfatal

Haha no I'll tune into the flapping noise and be well annoyed
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I'm intrigued, go on, how much?
didnothingfatal

For Cuben shelter? $250 and up