Re: Tarp setups for windy conditions?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I use "dyneema" and mini-lineloks.
It'll have a polyester sheath Colin.
May the bridges you burn light your way
techno

Post by techno »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:41 am Pure Dymeena won't work with tensioners (well, not normal tensioners but you can make some that work) It's best used for fixed length lines. I tie loops along the length to give me pegging options.
Thanks stu. Even lighter than tensioners and less fiddly than knots for cold fingers :cool:
ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:50 am I use "dyneema" and mini-lineloks.
Where did you get that from?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

When Dyneema line came out for climbing purposes in the late 1980s we had to learn a whole new set of knots to use with it because it's so slippy, well it doesn't deform in the same way as nylon ropes and line do.

For the sizes of tarps folk on here are likely to use, any line with a breaking strain of 100kg or so is going to be fine. Dyneema is just overkill.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
techno

Post by techno »

whitestone wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:07 am When Dyneema line came out for climbing purposes in the late 1980s we had to learn a whole new set of knots to use with it because it's so slippy, well it doesn't deform in the same way as nylon ropes and line do.

For the sizes of tarps folk on here are likely to use, any line with a breaking strain of 100kg or so is going to be fine. Dyneema is just overkill.
something like this: https://www.abaris.co.uk/Beal-3mm-Accessory-Cord
Edit:
This also looks good: https://www.forestandarb.com/Marlow-2mm-Throwline.html
Last edited by techno on Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:52 am
I use "dyneema" and mini-lineloks.
It'll have a polyester sheath Colin.
Aye, hence my use of quotation marks :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

David, the stuff I sell in the shop is 1.5mm with a Dymeena core and poly sheath. It works with mini line-loks fine. I also have some 1mm pure Dymeena that weighs 0.5g per metre. It won't work with line-locs but does hold knots okay.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I use a single (long) length of dyneema (stuff like Zing-it). Loop on one end to peg through.

Use a small closed loop (say 5 to 10 cm) and tie whatever style of prusik knot you know.

Larks foot the fixed loop prusik to the tarp-tie out.

Usefully they can be tensioned from inside the shelter.

Usually splice dyneema rather than knotting it as you get less of a reduction in strength (not such an issue for guy-lines), it's neater and oddly therapeutic. Google it or see https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/content.php for lots of useful info.

All sorts of ways to skin a cat but this works for me :cool:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Got my line from BPL. I'll admit it's overkill but I like the (light)weight. My knots seem to work fine with it so I presume it's sheathed. Well not 'seem to work'; they do. Leave a 2cm tail and not had one unravel yet. I do a quick check each usage.

PS. OT - anybody else getting a wierd thing when a/ after reading a thread, then re-reading it but it still shows 'unread'. After a random delay it goes 'read', and/or b/ editing a post brings up a previous version of it rather than the latest one.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

I've been looking at bivy and tarp set ups and threads like these always make me think my luxe minipeak really is still the answer
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

firestarter wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:45 pm I've been looking at bivy and tarp set ups and threads like these always make me think my luxe minipeak really is still the answer
Hadn't come across the Luxe Minipeak before but a kilo for the fly alone? There's quite a few similar, if slightly smaller, and much lighter shelters: Lunar Solo; Gatewood Cape; among others.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Yeah but the mini peak feels massive, infact one night pitched at a campsite for a shower and good clean I didnt want my bike outside so I slept in my inner nest and my bike fit in the porch. It really is massive, but I like my comfort and dont mind carrying a bit of extra weight