Competitive Gravelwanking

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Gregsie

Competitive Gravelwanking

Post by Gregsie »

Heard a month or two about this (was approached by the folks that are organising it, but that's a different story) that the UCI are introducing a world series for gravel racing.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/uc ... rAqoEQWGyg

Can't see it being a big thing on this fair isle due to the laws regarding racing on bridleways unless you can get Forestry Commision or similar to play ball. However how long before there's UCI compliant bikes and rules and regs on tyres and geometry etc and they totally wring any form of creativity out of what's being made at the moment.
Powered by crumpets.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Competitive Gravelwanking

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Won't really matter if the FC do play ball - still can't race on a BW, no matter who's permission you've got. It'll take a change in the law first.

and
as cyclists avoid the dangers of traffic-filled roads and enjoy the more relaxed and rule-free ambiance
All seems like something of a contradiction really doesn't it?

But that's an aside. The really good thing is, you win the internet today for this - 'Competitive Gravelwanking' :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

Plus one for that

Easily adaptable to Competitive Gravel W***** too.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Gregsie wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:06 pm
Can't see it being a big thing on this fair isle due to the laws regarding racing on bridleways unless you can get Forestry Commision or similar to play ball.
"This fair isle" extends beyond Englandandwales, not that I'm necessarily in favour of races being held on public paths of any sort.
Gregsie

Post by Gregsie »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:20 pm But that's an aside. The really good thing is, you win the internet today for this - 'Competitive Gravelwanking' :-bd
You're welcome. :grin: :wink:
Powered by crumpets.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:20 pm 'Competitive Gravelwanking' :-bd
Reminds me of when I was at boarding school :shock:
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Somebody is certainly playing ball... :wink:
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:20 pm Won't really matter if the FC do play ball - still can't race on a BW, no matter who's permission you've got. It'll take a change in the law first.
You can, presumably, apply to have a RoW closed for a day for a race, same as road closures for road races. I'm assuming this is what happens for the Dirty Reiver/Kielder 100/Ard Rock - they've all included sections of bridleways and footpaths in my experience.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You can, presumably, apply to have a RoW closed for a day for a race
Oh yes, you can get a RoW closed reasonably easily for the duration of a day or weekend.
I'm assuming this is what happens for the Dirty Reiver/Kielder 100/Ard Rock - they've all included sections of bridleways and footpaths in my experience.
But this is where it gets tricky - even if closed, you still can't 'race' a bicycle along it. You can race a car, motorbike, tractor, wheelbarrow or anything else you like but not a pushbike. In the case of footpaths, then racing a bicycle is fine. When I had dealings with NRW about holding an event in Hafren, I was expressly forbidden to even cross or intersect a BW. Any course had to be 100% BW free but anything else was fair game.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Might be worth an email to the Ard Rock/Focus lads to see how they got round it. The Ard Rock Marathon course appears to be majority on bridleway. They did chop 8km off the route last time which I suspected was something to do with RoW permissions.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The Ard Rock Marathon course appears to be majority on bridleway.
{guessing} Could it be that the BW sections are only linking sections and are in no way timed? That negates any issues.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:10 pm
The Ard Rock Marathon course appears to be majority on bridleway.
{guessing} Could it be that the BW sections are only linking sections and are in no way timed? That negates any issues.
Nah the marathon's an XC race, one lap, all timed.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Strap yourself in for a history lesson.
I was on the governing body of Trailquests (mtb orienteering) during the late '90s and the issue of racing cycles on bridleways was obviously a major issue which had forced the abandonment of the bike element on the man vs horse vs bike race in mid Wales. A local nimby had found a law dating back to the mid 1800's which came under the stature of wanton and furious cycling and expressly forbade the racing of cycles on bridleways, as 90% of the m v h v b course was on bridleways, it couldn't be insured and so bikes were stopped.
Much of the course was regularly used on motorcycle enduros, car rallies, and still maintained the running and horse riding element.
Trailquest events were, at that time, 5 hour score events which took away any element of the winner being decided by fastest time over the course. Even ties had to be decided by anything other than time which was sometimes a bit convoluted. There was a growing demand for mtbo events which followed the running orienteering rules of collecting checkpoints in a fixed order with the fastest being the winner but these were nigh on impossible to organise in England and Wales.
Our saviour came in the unlikely form of the actress Glenda Jackson who was Labour Transport Minister at the time. She tabled a bill to have this stupid law overturned but 2 months before it was to be voted on, an election was called and it died, never to be resurrected.
The current situation is frought with danger for the growing number of races and timed events whereby organisers are seemingly ignoring or ignorant of the law. Even if said organisers had taken out 3rd party insurance and god forbid there was a life changing or fatal injury to a member of the public or competitior, a thorough loss adjuster would soon find that the event was run illegally and void the insurance, thus making the organiser personally liable.
Incidentally the law of wanton and furious cycling was recently used to prosecute the guy on a brakeless fixie who knocked down and killed a woman who'd wandered into the road staring at her phone so it isn't some arcane law that's sat gathering dust.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Incidentally the law of wanton and furious cycling was recently used to prosecute the guy on a brakeless fixie who knocked down and killed a woman who'd wandered into the road staring at her phone so it isn't some arcane law that's sat gathering dust.
That's right. People may be surprised how much it still gets banded about as the powers that be are very well aware of it.
Gregsie

Post by Gregsie »

It was only in 1968 that bikes were legally allowed on bridleways http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/41/section/30. Also the same bit of law that states that ramblers and horse riders have right of way over cyclists.

Organise a few non competitive events up in the Peak and the real fun comes when you want to run an event on concessionary bridleways and get permission. Had to apply to English Nature for one event because it was across an SSSI and the permission came in too late, despite me applying 6 months in advance.

As Pistonbroke says, the law is a minefield and it's not just a case of coming up with something on Strava and winging it.

The law really is a farce and needs an update. Shame British Cycling haven't picked up on it.

Could be wrong (usually am) but think, at the moment, the only way that competitive gravel riding will be done in the UK is if they run an enduro style event with timed stages which would be fun but not exactly the Dirty Kanza.