Bikepacking - where's it heading?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Five years ago the only real bikepacking specific products were Epic (Revelate as they are now), there were no bikepacking events or races outside of the US and most people who had a bike with a tent on, were 'tourers'.

So, things have certainly come a long way in the last five years or so, which makes me wonder what the next five may bring ... anyone got any thoughts on where we're heading?
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Re: Bikepacking - where's it heading?

Post by ScotRoutes »

Isn't bikepacking just a fancy name for off-road touring? Folk have been doing that for years, it's just that the equipment has got a bit better. Modern materials & designs have helped of course. I think we're likely to see some more of that coupled with a bit more affordability if the market grows. I guess there's a danger that some locations become a bit over-utilised and (I'm thinking Englandandwales here) landowners might try to restrict numbers a bit.
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

Having just discovered "monster 'cross" bikes, I think they are the future, they just look vaguely exciting!
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

I think people will still continue as they have been but things will get more corporate as more people look for adventure to escape mundane life! No doubt with charities jumping on the bandwagon - The Great Big British Heart Foundation Bikepacking Weekend or similar. Maybe more overseas tour operators offering bikepacking trips once it gets into more mainstream media.
Perhaps more bike manufacturers will offer bikepacking luggage compatible with new models as they release them (like Salsa, Genesis -with Alpkit etc).

I hope that greater recognition will bring more events but with the right mindset (similar to Audax events rather than Wiggle Sportives).

I'd hope that access rights would be reviewed and more footpaths opened up to bikes.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Isn't bikepacking just a fancy name for off-road touring?
Sometimes I agree but other times there seems to be massive differences. I've ridden with quite a few seasoned tourers (inc' off road) over the years and they're often very surprised when they go on a bikepacking trip. I think there's a difference in mindset between bikepacking and off road touring.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

s8tannorm wrote:
Isn't bikepacking just a fancy name for off-road touring?
Sometimes I agree but other times there seems to be massive differences. I've ridden with quite a few seasoned tourers (inc' off road) over the years and they're often very surprised when they go on a bikepacking trip. I think there's a difference in mindset between bikepacking and off road touring.
I don't know what it is I'm doing then. I don't think it's much different just because I use a saddle-bag instead of a rack and panniers. :oops:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I don't know what it is I'm doing then. I don't think it's much different just because I use a saddle-bag instead of a rack and panniers.
I'm not saying that for some folk it's not similar or maybe even the same. How you choose to carry your stuff doesn't matter but what you choose to carry does seem to define the differences between the two to a degree. I've had people tell me that when they're 'touring' it's the days / weeks / whatever destination that matters but when bikepacking it's the actual ride that counts*.

I think 'bikepacking' owes at least as much to backpacking as it does to any type of cycling ... possibly even more?

I can imagine more manufactures starting to produce specific 'bikepacking' bikes over the next few years. Obviously Salsa and Surly are ahead of the game here but Genesis have the Fortitude, Specialized built a 'concept' bike and I did hear a rumour of an On-One dropped bar adventure bike. I can also see some cycle clothing manufactures getting in on the act once they realise not everyone stops riding after 4 hours and goes home.

Part of me fears it becoming too popular. I know that sounds stupid but it seemed to happen with singlespeeds. People I rode with told me they would never dream of owning a SS, then over the next two years these same people all started riding SS :roll:

*Sorry if that's a bit hippy dip-sub standard ;)
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

s8tannorm wrote: I'm not saying that for some folk it's not similar or maybe even the same. How you choose to carry your stuff doesn't matter but what you choose to carry does seem to define the differences between the two to a degree. I've had people tell me that when they're 'touring' it's the days / weeks / whatever destination that matters but when bikepacking it's the actual ride that counts*.
Sounds like it's comparable to the American term of "through-hiking" where getting to the end is more key than the journey.
nobby

Post by nobby »

s8tannorm wrote: I think there's a difference in mindset between bikepacking and off road touring.
Can you explain what the differences in mindset are? I'm very interested in this thread because I am moving from cycle camping to bike packing.
"What doesn't kill us makes us stranger." - The Joker
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Can you explain what the differences in mindset are? I'm very interested in this thread because I am moving from cycle camping to bike packing.
Now, there's obviously going to be some generalisations here and I imagine there'll be folk who disagree but here goes ;)

1/ The idea of lightweight and small packsize: You really only have to look at most folks who are touring to spot the difference here. Although it manifests physically, it stems from a certain mindset.

2/ Overnight site selection: bikepacking - ride until you've had enough then stop, pitch up wherever you are, rather than needing to reach a particular spot / campsite.

3/ The feeling that a ride / trip doesn't need an agenda or even really a purpose. Just being out is the prize.

Okay, I await flaming ;)
ton

Post by ton »

bikepacking and cycle camping are one and the same.
in 1982 i spent 2 weeks in spain with the ctc, i used 1 carradice saddlebag for the 2 weeks, with a saunders tent strapped to the top.
i tour every year using a single carradice saddlebag, if i tour offroad i use a single 20ltr rucksack.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

s8tannorm wrote:
Now, there's obviously going to be some generalisations here and I imagine there'll be folk who disagree but here goes ;)

1/ The idea of lightweight and small packsize: You really only have to look at most folks who are touring to spot the difference here. Although it manifests physically, it stems from a certain mindset.

2/ Overnight site selection: bikepacking - ride until you've had enough then stop, pitch up wherever you are, rather than needing to reach a particular spot / campsite.

3/ The feeling that a ride / trip doesn't need an agenda or even really a purpose. Just being out is the prize.

Okay, I await flaming ;)
Ok - I'll bite.

I think what you are doing here is trying to support your argument with your prejudices. For instance there have always been folk who travelled ultra-lightweight, e.g. http://www.heraldscotland.com/life-styl ... s-1.931134 and when carrying a tent, I've often just cycled into the wilds to see where I ended up, just having some very fluid plans as to where that might be. I'm not sure about point 3 though. If the "purpose" is being out then i fail to see what the differentiator is. The WRT has an agenda/purpose and I wouldn't call it touring, yet you're excluding it from your definition of bikepacking :-)
gairym

Post by gairym »

I'm with Stuart!

But.....that's not to say that what he and I think of as defining 'bikepacking' is the same as the next persons.

During my recent (failed) trip I would label what we were doing as off-road touring as the trails were fire/forest roads and the end of each day was a pre-determined campsite.

When I head out normally it's to do 'real' (my interpretation obviously) mountain biking and I like to sleep wherever the day takes me as opposed to having something/somewhere in mind in advance.

That's not to say that Mr X's off-road touring doesn't achieve this or that Mrs Y's idea of bikepacking isn't what I would consider off-road touring but, for me that marks the difference in my head.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think what you are doing here is trying to support your argument with your prejudices
Only opinions and observations ;)
For instance there have always been folk who travelled ultra-lightweight, e.g. http://www.heraldscotland.com/life-styl ... s-1.931134
You're absolutely right. Some of the very first cycle campers carried kit that even by todays standards would be considered ultralight ... maybe bikepacking has picked up where they left off? The exact same thing happened within backpacking.
and when carrying a tent, I've often just cycled into the wilds to see where I ended up, just having some very fluid plans as to where that might be.
So you were bikepacking ;)
The WRT has an agenda/purpose and I wouldn't call it touring, yet you're excluding it from your definition of bikepacking
The WRT is all about the ride. There's no goal or in all honesty, point to it :D
welshwhit

Post by welshwhit »

I think the attraction to the "bikepacking" frame of mind fits quite nicely with the ideas of alpinism and the like.

Sure you can climb the same hills with as much kit as you like, but some prefer to climb more and carry less. In my mind this is kinda true for the bikepacking or touring idea.

If you want to complete a trip in a higher level if comfort, take more stuff, more food etc and take your time enjoying your trip.

If you want to cover lots of ground and enjoy lots of riding in a comparable time scale, then the enjoyment/challenge comes from kit selection to see how little you need to enjoy the feeling of freedom from being out in the "wilds" and riding for the ride so to speak.

Sometimes that mindset requires sacrifices of he kit to benefit another area of the trip, eg more miles

Just my 2p worth!

Drew
Adrian Brewster

Post by Adrian Brewster »

Bikepacking will probably split into two (or more) streams; competitive, organised, assault course, macho, "charity'' challenge events and a more radical, contemplative, hardcore, bikepacking that is more about exploration, adventure, psychogeography and the sheer joy of self-powered travel. Bikepacking has more in common with backpacking, packrafting, ski-touring, fell and trail running etc., as it is about the sheer unadulterated joy of flowing through a landscape that you can feel part of rather than as an alienated victim on a road to nowhere.
Bikepacking will probably become hugely popular as cycle touring was in the last great depression. Maybe it could be encouraged away from mass events with all the problems of conflicts with landowners, walkers and erosion. If it is about more than just getting from A to Z then maybe a non-competitive event where people are encouraged to find original routes, adventures, starting from a central point like mid Wales or Aviemore with videos, blogs, photographs as the "result".
My two halfpennies worth.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Personally I don't see any difference. I used to off road tour with panniers etc, now I bikepack using lighter and more suitable equipment for the job but the goal remains the same, "traveling long distances on a mountain bike through the wilds with equipment that allows me to stay out for several days in a self reliant manner ". Bikepacking style just allows me to enjoy it more because I'm carrying less weight and the gear is less likely to break. If people ask what it is I'm doing I still answer "off road touring".
Chew

Post by Chew »

Not sure i see any difference either. Exploring the world by bike whatever you call it, its all good :D

Outside of this forum there will be very few people who have ever heard of bikepacking, and most of the people on here have experienced something similar prior to this place appearing, its just become slightly more well know through blogs of the Tour Divide and huge 64 page topics on STW. As its new theres probably quite a lot of people trying it out. The novelty will wear off for some people after a period as they look for something new. You'll also get cross over from other activities. People who used to do OMM's who maybe want to try something similar, but slightly different.

Is it more popular? Whilst out bikepacking have you ever bumped into anyone else bikepacking? Aren't this years WRT entries this year similar to last years and the year before? If it was becoming overly popular there would be a lot more growth in numbers. Same for the BB200. I'm expecting more people this year, but i'd wager it peaks at the same number as the WRT.

As for kit i cant see any specific changes, rather improvements. Very little of the kit we use is specific to bikepacking. Most people use bikes which could be used for normal riding, and kit is just borrowed from other areas. The only thing seems to be frame bags/seat packs, but these are just evolved versions on panniers, so nothing new. Alpkits 'bikepacking' section is just links to there other established products (stingray excluded)

Events - i imagine a few more underground events may appear such as the HTR (and maybe they already do), but i dont envisage anything commercial appearing. BB200 with a 1000 entries? :shock: Imagine the amount of red tape and the number of hoops you would need to jump through?

People seem to be getting softer as well. The thought of wearing the same clothes for a week and sleeping under a bush will be appealing to less and less people, but for some of us tramps its a way of escaping modern life and adding a bit of adventure and finding out whats over the other side of the hill.

......Anyway to answer the initial question, 5 years time? probably the same place we are now ;)
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

It's going for a ride with just about enough gear (maybe less ;) ) so I don't have to come home at night.

HYOH 8-)
nobby

Post by nobby »

s8tannorm wrote: So, things have certainly come a long way in the last five years or so, which makes me wonder what the next five may bring ... anyone got any thoughts on where we're heading?
I hope that we are heading for a Scottish/Scandinavian Right to Roam type law. There is occasional evidence of friction between land owners and overnighters in England and Wales and if the numbers of stealth campers, cycling or walking, keep increasing somebody will end up in court. That said, I do not think that the numbers will increase by much.
I, by and large, agree with Chew's post above.
ton

Post by ton »

i think the possibility of someone being prosecuted for sleeping/walking/cycling on someone elses land is very very remote.

can you imagine the phone call from a irate scottish landowner to the local old bill.
'there are 2 cyclists asleep on the side of my mountain, will you come and arrest them and prosecute them......... :lol:
nobby

Post by nobby »

ton wrote:i think the possibility of someone being prosecuted for sleeping/walking/cycling on someone elses land is very very remote.

can you imagine the phone call from a irate scottish landowner to the local old bill.
'there are 2 cyclists asleep on the side of my mountain, will you come and arrest them and prosecute them......... :lol:
I don't know that I've understood this properly, perhaps there is a lawyer in the forum who can explain the detail, but I thought that couldn't happen in Scotland, and in England and Wales it would be a civil offence unless damage was caused.
I know a backpacker who was moved on by the landowner in the middle of the night in Wales.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

I think that it will stay a sub genre of mountainbiking, most people are hapy to ride their bikes and go home for a shower.

There will always be people looking to gram shave and get lighter products in the same way some people want bomber equipment which will last to the sacrifice of weight. Maybe Trakke will produce framebags and seatbags but most of us will continue riding and camping to stave off the middle age spread...
Eoghan

Post by Eoghan »

Adrian Brewster wrote:...more about exploration, adventure, psychogeography and the sheer joy of self-powered travel. Bikepacking has more in common with backpacking, packrafting, ski-touring, fell and trail running etc., as it is about the sheer unadulterated joy of flowing through a landscape that you can feel part of rather than as an alienated victim on a road to nowhere...
I'm going to print this passage out and stick it on the fridge. Proper tingle-up-the-spine vibes.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Separating the difference between bikepacking and off road touring is a bit like comparing walking and hiking or mountaineering and alpinism isn't it? While the principle mode of transport is the same and the individuals purpose and motivation will be similar, there's a graduation in difficulty across the spectrum.

Same is true here I think. As someone who has toured off road in the past, I felt I was limited in the types of trails I could ride because of the bike and equipment I had at the time, and to a certain extent in experience. Advancements in equipment have reduced gear weights considerably and soft-pack luggage systems massively improve the rideability on proper off road trails, and greater level of skill and fitness on my part means that I can move further across the difficulty spectrum from "walking/hiking" to "mountaineering/ alpinism".

Anyway, back on topic - where will we be in the next five years? I don't think there'll be a huge difference from now tbh. There might be a greater percentage of the cycling community doing it, but it'll be on an more occasional basis as people mix up their riding opportunities a bit (as compared, for example, to going on a guide holiday and Spain, France, etc). I can't see bike manufacturers doing anything significantly different - surely the point is you can do it all on a "normal" MTB?