Using a quilt AND a sleeping bag?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ianfitz

Re: Using a quilt AND a sleeping bag?

Post by ianfitz »

I went for a quilt 250 which I'm planning to use on its own in good weather and inside a phd bag in winter.

I've used a thin bag inside it before but this should be quite a bit warmer...
ianfitz

Re: Using a quilt AND a sleeping bag?

Post by ianfitz »

I got a quilt 250. I already have two different PHD bags so had quite high expectations of quality of materials,down loft and finishing. I have to say the cumulus is equal to the PHDs attributes.

Superbly made, stitching etc is spot on. Despite Being 850 rather than the 900 in my phd bags the down in very smooth, lofts incredibly and compresses very well. To my eye I can't see a noticeable difference.

The inner and outer is pertex quantum, which if anything is maybe even finer than the MX fabric that phd use on their lightest bags.

The quilt has a fairly long foot box, extending up to above my knees. It has three well spaced tabs with long elastic cords that are used to close the quilt and attach it to your mat. It also has a small buckle to close up the 'neck hole' this has a draw cord too. So you can really hunker down with only your head out. I've used the detachable hood from from a down jacket as extra insulation there.

I've used it with my phd mimimus bag inside as I was expecting the temp to drop close to 0c. I had an experiment in the house and felt its better to use the quilt in the outside as I can fasten it to the mat. I'm a very wriggly sleeper and I found that the quilt stays still fastened to my mat while I move around with the bag. It works well. The bag, quilt and mat all slot inside either of my bivy bags.

It's early days but so far I'm very impressed with the extra warmth it gives for a claimed 460g (I've not weighed it yet) and the flexibility it looks like it will give me.

I plan to use it solo in summer, with a light phd bag in autumn and with the bigger phd bag in winter. Maybe all three if it gets really cold!

For info I'm 5'9" and sub 10 stone so fairly slim. Its comfy, roomy enough with space to spare in the set up. But not loads...