Using a quilt AND a sleeping bag?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

InspiredRamblings

Using a quilt AND a sleeping bag?

Post by InspiredRamblings »

Saw Stu's latest review of the Enlightened quilts and was wondering...

My Cumulus Quantum 350 is a bit nippy when it gets too far below zero... Its fine from underneath with my Exped Downmat, but there can be a nip in the air from above. It can also be a too hot in the summer...

I wondered whether an investment in a light quilt might help both situations - if I bought a one like the RevelationX 40 then it would be suitable for summer on its own, and if I got it big enough, perhaps I could use it outside my Cumulus when the temperature dropped...? If I did that I'd probably need to use my Downmat underneath my bivi bag rather than in it, but it could all work...

Is this a viable approach or would I just be better wearing more clothes in winter, sleeping outside my bag in summer, and saving my pennies for that adventure bike that I need to order...?
Salsa Horsethief XT (2020)
Jamis Dragonslayer (2016)

http://www.uninspiredramblings.com
Dan_K

Re: Using a quilt AND a sleeping bag?

Post by Dan_K »

It's a viable option similar to the combi bags from PHD.

I have one of the quilts and it's really good. TBH it's like a sleeping bag without a zip (sounds obvious but it's not a flat style quilt in the bed sense of the word).
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Ive got a Cumulus Ultralite 350 which is ok down to 0C with a good mat, and I lay my down jacket over the top if it gets colder. Would love a lightweight quilt. The Revelation ones look great and there's a great review of a big selection of quilts and bags available in the US at this link:

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Backpacki ... ag-Reviews

The rubbish exchange rate, plus shipping plus import duty makes them less attractive value-wise, but they still make a lot of sense and I suspect I'll add one to the arsenal sometime this year.
I'm just going outside ...
nobby

Post by nobby »

I have a JacksRBetter Hudson River quilt which I never found warm enough except in Summer. I felt cold about 5ºC above its rated lower limit, but I know now that I do sleep very cold.
I have used the quilt with my Cumulus 350 bag (works best inside the bag) and it has boosted that well. I find a down jacket does much the same job but the quilt covers trunk and thighs.
I also have a Feathered Friends Wren and that is a very warm bag but I am not going to deliberately sleep out in very low temperatures again. The Cumulus bag, Hudson River Quilt, down jacket and clothing are a flexible enough combination I think.
"What doesn't kill us makes us stranger." - The Joker
InspiredRamblings

It seems a few of us have Cumulus bags... interesting that you can get your quilt inside your bag... I'm sure sure I'd have room... But I reckon it would work outside...

Any recommendations for other lightweight quilts, perhaps sourced in the UK?

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Matt at UK Hammocks makes quilts and Arklight in France stock various quilts (some out of stock at the moment though) so no duty to pay.

http://www.arklight-design.com/PBSCCata ... ID=1047032
May the bridges you burn light your way
nobby

Post by nobby »

I would like a quilt to work for me; less material so less bulk and weight, but my experience of quilts has been pretty negative.
When I was a motor borne camper I used a British Army green maggot bag. When I went back to the bike I bought a RayWay quilt kit but found it none too warm. Then I bought the JacksRBetter and still had problems. I do turn a lot in the night and I am a very cold sleeper, but I had expected better.
When I looked into it a little deeper the early cycle campers, T.H.Holding and his pals, used quilts but everything changed to bags and I wonder why. Quilts have got to be easier to make than bags so who led the move away from them? Perhaps they were all sleeping cold like me :D
Gari

Post by Gari »

I have been thinking about a quilt for this summer and noticed that Cumulus have started doing them, 3 in the range I think. They are on the website as of a few days ago.I like the idea of using over a bag at the end/start of the season too.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think quilts make much more sense (than they used to) with the advent of better/warmer mats.
InspiredRamblings

Gari wrote:I have been thinking about a quilt for this summer and noticed that Cumulus have started doing them, 3 in the range I think. They are on the website as of a few days ago.I like the idea of using over a bag at the end/start of the season too.
Ooh have they? I will have to take a look... The old website or the new website...!?

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Gari wrote:
I have been thinking about a quilt for this summer and noticed that Cumulus have started doing them, 3 in the range I think. They are on the website as of a few days ago.I like the idea of using over a bag at the end/start of the season too.

Ooh have they? I will have to take a look... The old website or the new website...!?
They're also listed on the Arklite link up there ^^^
InspiredRamblings

s8tannorm wrote: They're also listed on the Arklite link up there ^^^
So they are. Thats odd - when I followed the link earlier it seemed to just go to their main page. Weird.

Anyway, thanks. They look an interesting design - with a kind of full foot.

Anyone experienced using quilts have any views of how that design might work in practice? The Enlightened Eq ones looked a slightly simpler design. Can't help feeling that the Cumulus ones might get twisted when you turn over as your body would rotate under the quilt but the foot of the quilt might rotate with your feet...?

nobby

Post by nobby »

s8tannorm wrote:I think quilts make much more sense (than they used to) with the advent of better/warmer mats.
Ah yes, that's probably the difference. The old timers didn't have reliably warm mattresses.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Anyone experienced using quilts have any views of how that design might work in practice? The Enlightened Eq ones looked a slightly simpler design. Can't help feeling that the Cumulus ones might get twisted when you turn over as your body would rotate under the quilt but the foot of the quilt might rotate with your feet...?
Nearly all quilts will have a footbox of some sort. The Revelation is just a footbox that can be opened up. Once it's zipped/clipped together it behaves just like a sewn-up one. My Golite has a sewn-up footbox like the Cumulus and I've never had any trouble with it ... The Revelation design does give you the option to open the entire quilt out, which may be a bonus.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I've been thinking about doing this for a whole now. The cumulus site (new one) linked to above do not sell directly to customers in the uk. I have asked the uk suppliers if they can supply any of the quilts.

Will let you know...

Unless anyone has a quilt they don't get on with and would like to sell?
InspiredRamblings

s8tannorm wrote:
Nearly all quilts will have a footbox of some sort. The Revelation is just a footbox that can be opened up. Once it's zipped/clipped together it behaves just like a sewn-up one. My Golite has a sewn-up footbox like the Cumulus and I've never had any trouble with it ... The Revelation design does give you the option to open the entire quilt out, which may be a bonus.
Thanks Stu, I hadn't realised that. Have you used your quilt with a bag? I can't imagine that I'd get a quilt inside my Cumulus, and also can't quite see getting one with a fixed footbox over my Cumulus. Which makes the Enlightened Eq ones seem even more attractive as you can undo the footbox when using it over the bag, and do it up again when using it its own...

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Have you used your quilt with a bag?
I've used a very thin/light synthetic inner bag with my Golite quilt. I picked it up many moons ago from Decathlon. It doesn't have a hood and only has a 1/4 length zip down the front, think it weighs about 500g. On it's own you'd really suffer unless it was +15 but it's perfect to bump a quilt or bag rating with.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Only used TQs hanging but have found them plenty warm.

Out of (innocent, technically related) interest what are you wearing to sleep in? I use a merino base layer, leggings and socks. Packs relatively light and is much more versatile / multi-use combo than dedicated trail jammie's.

Ukhammocks make combo TQs for a small (c£15) uplift. Not much info on their site but something on the YouTube channel.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

InspiredRamblings wrote:
Gari wrote:I have been thinking about a quilt for this summer and noticed that Cumulus have started doing them, 3 in the range I think. They are on the website as of a few days ago.I like the idea of using over a bag at the end/start of the season too.

I've had a reply from cumulus UK. Who are only able to sell the items listed on the 'old website'. Anything on the new site is not available to UK customers. I quote "The sleeping bags that we sell were designed by us to suit the UK climate and the typical sleeping bag requirements of people in the UK."

They are not interested in supplying the 'niche market' as it is felt to be uneconomical...
InspiredRamblings

Hmm. Interesting. I'm pretty sure someone I know bought a new bag off the new site... And received it in the UK...

Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

IIRC there is also someone in the States doing MYOG quilts. He stitches the outer but leaves the baffles open at one end. You buy this and then buy your own down, stuff it and stitch it closed.

Don't know if that appeals?
Backcountrybiking

Post by Backcountrybiking »

Check out High mobility gear in france for cumulus quilts.
http://www.highmobilitygear.com/PBCPPla ... ID=1172579
http://www.backcountrybiking.co.uk
UK distributor of Revelate designs gear, Alpacka rafts and Force ten tents and provider of bikepacking and packrafting skills training courses and adventures and Packraft hire
InspiredRamblings

Looks good... Tempting. Still not sure how comfortable the fixed footbox would be with my bag as well. The Enlightened Equipment ones still look the most flexible... If I sweat myself into a puddle over the next three weekends of bivvys (YES - THREE CONSECUTIVE WEEKENDS LINED UP!) then I may be very tempted...

ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Good call on http://www.highmobilitygear.com/PBCPPla ... ID=1172579

They have been super helpful despite my almost total lack of French.

I ordered last night and got and email at 8.40am today saying the parcel was posted!

Also heard back from cumulus in Poland who will sell items not stocked by cumulus UK. But I've already order one.

Will let you know how I get on...
InspiredRamblings

Cool. Which did you order?? And what do you plan to use it with?