Tell me about the Tour of the Cairngorms route

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ScotRoutes

Re: Tell me about the Tour of the Cairngorms route

Post by ScotRoutes »

It surprises me just how much tarmac is on that route. There are some decent forest tracks running from Blair Atholl to Bruar and then through Feshie/Inshriach that would be much more pleasant mountain biking.
Gari

Post by Gari »

Also the route from Inveray can be taken on the north of the river missing out Braemar altogether, assuming you are just passing through rather than staying there obviously!! You can see the track joining the Glen Builg section close to the house.
Great route, I did it last year. Enjoy.
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Gari wrote:Also the route from Inveray can be taken on the north of the river missing out Braemar altogether, assuming you are just passing through rather than staying there obviously!! You can see the track joining the Glen Builg section close to the house.
Great route, I did it last year. Enjoy.
Thanks Gari. I plan to stop in Braemar to have a nose around.

ScotRoutes, I think i'll be grateful for a bit of Tarmac - will remind me of riding in the South!!!
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

Link to Spot Tracker if anyone is remotely interested. Should be on the go by lunchtime tomorrow:

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... GqnqTgHiB6
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Gari - every report of this route I see has the riders going clockwise. Some if the bits I know would work better t'other way (eg the Dorback - Abernethy route). As an expert in the area, what do you reckon?
Gari

Post by Gari »

Hi Scotroutes, I did it counter clockwise as a tour. I have done quite a bit of it as day rides etc in both directions and agree that it rides better that way, for me anyways.

The link for the tour. http://racksonracksoff.wordpress.com/20 ... r-day-one/

Gari
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Gari wrote:Hi Scotroutes, I did it counter clockwise as a tour. I have done quite a bit of it as day rides etc in both directions and agree that it rides better that way, for me anyways.

The link for the tour. http://racksonracksoff.wordpress.com/20 ... r-day-one/

Gari
Brilliant! Confirms my suspicions too. One for later this year I think. I might have a lot less travel to the start that way ;)
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

All done and dusted this afternoon. Gari found me and bought me a coke. Top man! Report and pics to follow...