GPS Route planning

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

welshwhit

GPS Route planning

Post by welshwhit »

Hi folks,

Being the new owner of a Grmin Dakota and some rather nice and cheap maps after tips from here I'm curious to find out how others use theirs/gps systems to best effect.

My background is firmly in paper maps where you can change route etc fairly easily.

So do you use:
-Routes with waypoints and work out the route on the map as you go
-Tracks and be limited to your pre planned 'track'
-Create 'legs' you can choose but have to store in the memory
-other devious gps wizardry that I'm yet to figure out?

Just testing the unit out, I'm taken by the faff free navigation it provides, having the little map to confirm is an added bonus [paper maps as back up too!] so How do you fine bike navers do it?!

Thanks
Drew
ScotRoutes

Re: GPS Route planning

Post by ScotRoutes »

I usually plan my stuff out as a track before I go (use OSGETAMAP or Basecamp). If I decide to wander off the ore-planned track then the built-in OS 1:50K usually has enough detail for me to just wing it.

The problem with storing Waypoints and using automatic routing is that it'll just join them all up with straight lines (assuming you're using off-road routing).

I've done the multi-segment option thing in the past too.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

1.Look on paper map
2.Plot route out on OS Getamap
3.Export GPX to the GPS device
4.Print A4 sheets of route & laminate
5.Primarily use GPS
6.Laminates as back up or for rerouting if planned route is awful!

The Dakota with its "pin drops" will make route changes more convenient than my Edge 200.
Chew

Post by Chew »

I suppose it depends if you are doing a specific route, or you going for a bit of a wander?

GPS's are good if you want to follow a route, not so great if you just want to wander, which is were maps come in very handy.

For something like the WRT, El an Back, i've always plotted a few routes (maybe one clockwise, one anti) and saved them onto my Garmin. If my plans change (such as last years WRT washout) i can switch between routes and its just a case of me figuring out how to get across onto the new route which generally not too difficult.

Something like bikehike is very useful allowing your to plot and research areas.