Aerobars?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BRP

Aerobars?

Post by BRP »

I'm just curious to see whether anyone else on here uses them?

I know the name often puts people off, as many people assume there is no point having such an aero position on a MTB...but my own experience with them over the years has made me really appreciate them, more for their comfort...their ability to allow your upper body to get some rest. Also the ability to tuck in out of the wind on those long headwind stretches where you feel like you'll never get home.
I've used them on double century fixed road rides, and i have a set on my road bike all the time.

I always have them set high and close though, so you don't need to be too stretched out, which allows a really relaxed comfy position, and still tucks you in compared to the regular hand positions of most bars.
I had my last set mounted on some Siren cycles fred bars, which I will now probably sell if anyone is interested, as my English has my custom designed aerobars on it.

The other benefit for many people is the extra mounting options they offer for drybags etc.

I'm just curious to see whether I'm alone in my love of them or not? And if not, what kind of setup you have?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Aerobars?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've used them before. Found them useful in certain situations but much faffing about to get the position right ... I'm sure Fred Bar or similar would help with that though.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

BRP wrote:
The other benefit for many people is the extra mounting options they offer for drybags etc.

I'm just curious to see whether I'm alone in my love of them or not? And if not, what kind of setup you have?
Recently bought a set for precisely this, shall report back in a couple of weeks time once I've tested them if anyone is interested.
Did get an opinion from someone saying that they will obscure your view of the front wheel...which in turn he didn't like, I never considered this, and shall see how I fair :|
Ian

Post by Ian »

BRP wrote:I had my last set mounted on some Siren cycles fred bars, which I will now probably sell if anyone is interested
Yes please :)

Never user them on an Mtb, but for the right kind of trip, would definitely consider them. Had a pair on my road bike, but since leant them out. Tended to find the position stretched as I didn't ride them often enough to get used to them.
Adrian Brewster

Post by Adrian Brewster »

Only have nasty narrow flat bars on the bike at the moment so looking to get more varied hand positions particularly as I'm using the bike to get too and from the wild, now that I've sold the car. Aerobars are a brilliant idea. Is there a low budget combination that doesn't involve expensive Siren/Jones exotica?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I have a set ready to be fitted to my El Mariachi. I've just been trying to dial-in the normal riding position first. I also use those Cane Creek Ergo bar-ends and find I'm on them most of the time.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

I've never found not being able to see your front wheel a problem because you know where it is. As for a cheap set up I am soon going to be trying some RavX long bar ends mounted inboard of the brake levers/gear shifters on Mary bars. Not had a chance to mount them yet as I got called away from home on short notice but a quick "hold them up against the bars to see" looks very promising, sort of Jones loop bar but with a more extended loop.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

How about a set of those 1990's Cinelli Spinaci bar extensions? Going cheap at Planet X. Never used them but they have masses of adjustment for different height and reach.

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/HBC ... extensions

Looks like they only come in 26mm and perhaps not bright blue with yellow clamps.
I'm just going outside ...
BRP

Post by BRP »

The problem with that type is the lack of support for the upper body that armrests provide.