"Groundsheet Protector"

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ericrobo

"Groundsheet Protector"

Post by ericrobo »

Thanks for the very useful replies re Alcohol stoves...

And next I need info about groundsheet protectors..

Have received my Terra Nova Photon 1 tent, it's light, but a bit flimsy...

so I'm thinking I will need something to protect the groundsheet from stones or twigs etc.

Terra Nova sell one for about £35 but it probably weighs too much..

I read somewhere that some folks have used window insulation material, very light, and cheap...

What do you guys use ? Or do you not use a groundsheet protector, but take great care in where you set up your tent ?

I believe also that under trees is not so good because of risk of sap getting onto your tent ?

Any comments appreciated

Regards

Eric
ScotRoutes

Re: "Groundsheet Protector"

Post by ScotRoutes »

The "best" solution is to avoid pitching where you might damage the groundsheet. That might involve going over the area and picking out anything that might be a problem. I used to use my "emergency" bivvi bag (the big orange plastic kind) as a groundsheet protector.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Saw these a while back and might just order one myself

backpackinglight sell groundsheet/footprints made from tyvek - a Dupont product used for everything from heavy duty envelopes to moisture barriers in buildings. £13, 100g and pretty robust I should think. The small one should do your Photon but they also do a double size .

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/shelt ... WB106.html

Even with one of these you'd still want to clear the site of sticks and stones, even if it is dark and cold and wet ... again.
I'm just going outside ...
d45yth

Post by d45yth »

Do you know any roofers? If so, they would surely be able to get you an off-cut of roofing membrane, be it Tyvek or something similar. You jogged my memory about a mate who was supposed to be getting me some stuff known as 'Roofline', he suggested that instead because it's green in colour (not that it makes much difference).
- The seasons blow away, but the love is just the same -
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

window insulation material, very light, and cheap...

What do you guys use ?
Exactly that - DIY store, cheap for loads of it and can easily be cut to size. Very light and folds to nothing. Seems to be good so far. As Scotroutes above, I do check for the worst stuff before pitching.
Occasionally when it's really cold a very thin bit of old Karrimat get substituted for extra insulation. Missed that last night.
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
royAB

Post by royAB »

Double glazing sheet (the stuff that tightens with a hair dryer) - cheap as chips & v.tough. Have used it for groundsheet & tarp - if you need to join it for bigger sheets the (usually)supplied double sided is fine. Clear 'helicopter' tape to make reinforcing tabs on the corners/wherever (use hole punch for holes - stops tearing) & then archery target pins for superlight, sharp pegs.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I'm in the 'Don't bother' camp personally. It's one more thing to faff with, there are articles online finding footprints cause more trouble than good with moisture.