Cage for fuel bottle advice needed

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dusza

Cage for fuel bottle advice needed

Post by Dusza »

I'm looking into options for carrying an MSR 1l fuel bottle under my downtube and so far the best options seem to be:

A. Monkiicage, nice and small, adjustable but it's plastic and might be on the fragile side.
B. Bikebuddy, more burly than the monkiicage, all metal and not a lot of parts to break/bend. Also mk3 has a quick release, so I wouldn't have to fiddle around too much.

I have a topeak xl modula cage but it's too tall and too big for the MSR bottle.
Opinions? Any other options I have missed?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Cage for fuel bottle advice needed

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Also mk3 has a quick release, so I wouldn't have to fiddle around too much.
Monkii cage is QR too.
Monkiicage, nice and small, adjustable but it's plastic and might be on the fragile side.
Don't let the plastic fool you, up to now they're proving very tough.

I should say, I've used Bikebuddy cages too and haven't had any trouble. They didn't always go big enough to fit frame tubes though ... but obviously much depends on the bike, I am talking fairly skinny steel tubes, not aluminium.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Topeak Modula Java Cage?
stevew

Post by stevew »

Any chance you can compromise with the medium bottle and a more robust lighter mounting? I've used the medium size with success. It's the same diameter almost as a standard water bottle so fits well. Traditional bottle cages with a 'lip' don't work so well. See pictures here of arrangement with a metal cage without said 'lip'. A bit of duct tape and a velcro strap ensures it doesn't eject.

A few pictures here: bottle cage with MSR 590 ml fuel bottle
Dusza

Post by Dusza »

stevew wrote:Any chance you can compromise with the medium bottle and a more robust lighter mounting? [/url]
Thanks for the pics Steve, already have a 1L bottle and honestly, I might need the extra fuel that fits in there.

I think, I'll go with the Bikebuddy - steel is real ;)
...though the monkiicage does seam like a great option for a small cooking set :mrgreen:
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

I use the bike buddy for a flask, and it's pretty decent. The quick release is very handy as you leave the fittings attatched permanantly and they just look like bigger bottle bolts. It will bend if you fall on it, but it bends back too. :lol:

Pics from the same ride.

Tea stop, flask off..

Non tea stop, flask on.....

Dusza

Post by Dusza »

Fired, did you ever have the quick release fail and lost your cage on a bumpy ride?
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

Not yet. It feels pretty secure. In actual fact I have found it difficult to release on a couple of occasions when there is a bit of sand build up. Might be a bit more precarious on the bottom of the down tube but still reckon it'd be OK.
Dusza

Post by Dusza »

Went finally with the bikebuddy mk3, looks promising and bomb proof so far. Thx to everyone for chipping in.