Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Scud

Seems to be some new Exposure Dynamo lights on way

Post by Scud »

benp1

Re: Seems to be some new Exposure Dynamo lights on way

Post by benp1 »

its about time really

those other lights look interesting. I have 3 exposure lights, none more than 3 years old, and it's remarkable how quickly technology continues to move
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Am I being slow here? I couldn't see the dynamo lights? The first 2 mentioned are for E-Bikes and will be powered from the bike's batteries.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

I have a exposure revo and was looking at the sinewave beacon. Beacon has an inbuilt USB and can also be powered by an external battery if needed.

So for me to consider a new revo I would like it to have an on/off switch, and integrated USB to charge a phone or battery, and can be used when the light is on or off.

Without these options I don’t see it having a edge over some of the competition, when these light are used for long rides and bikepacking.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've mentioned before that I think bike light and GPS manufacturers should move away from USB as it's not suitable for prolonged outdoor use. TBF it was never designed with it in mind. I think Garmin et al. looked at how phone manufacturers were forced to use USB rather than proprietary connectors and just went with that.

For lights either something like the 3mm jack plug that Exposure use or the weatherproof connectors you find on converters like the Igaro are much better.

Back on topic. I suppose for bikepacking purposes a light that can be powered from either dynamo hub or battery would be ideal. It's a very small market though and with K-Lite and Sinewave already having a foothold I doubt there's the economic case for USE to make one. With hindsight (always useful) Exposure might have been better to have done the converter separately then it could have powered any of their lights since you can piggyback a battery to any of them. It doesn't go with their all-in-one philosophy though.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Err why do we need lights to be controlled from our mobiles???
The fast charging looks good but the rest seems like tech for techs sake, bit disappointing from exposure as they have generally favoured function over pointless gadgets previously...
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

htrider wrote:Err why do we need lights to be controlled from our mobiles???
The fast charging looks good but the rest seems like tech for techs sake, bit disappointing from exposure as they have generally favoured function over pointless gadgets previously...
LED tech improvements seam to have plateau'd for the time being so I guess they need to do something different each year. Also, I could never remember how to change the settings on my diablo whereas the smartphone control of the wahoo GPS is a revelation.
Scud

Post by Scud »

Second the app control of the Wahoo computers, after 8 different Garmin, blinkin' loving my Wahoo Element esepcially the app, so easy to drop routes from RidewithGPS, Strava and the other apps straight into Wahoo app.

managed to 16 hours battery life out of it purely recording ride recently too, never managed more than 7-8 with Garmin