Dedicated bikepacking bike... 1x or not?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

NorwayCalling

Re: Dedicated bikepacking bike... 1x or not?

Post by NorwayCalling »

I have only one comment on this from my limited experience.

I find I can have the same freehub body for years and years with either 2x or 3x setups.

Since getting a 1x setup, I am getting through freehub bodies at a rate of one every 500km. Maybe I am just unlucky or my hub body itself is "out" in some way, causing the freehub body to then be out too - but the additional stress of having such a large cog on the back is knackering my freehub bodies.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Rohloff :-bd
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

NorwayCalling wrote:I have only one comment on this from my limited experience.

I find I can have the same freehub body for years and years with either 2x or 3x setups.

Since getting a 1x setup, I am getting through freehub bodies at a rate of one every 500km. Maybe I am just unlucky or my hub body itself is "out" in some way, causing the freehub body to then be out too - but the additional stress of having such a large cog on the back is knackering my freehub bodies.
Curious. My Solaris has done 11,000km on the same freehub (Hope Pro 2 Evo). How often are you in the large cog? If you've got the correct sized chainring for your usage then you should only be spending a small percentage of time in either of the end cogs. See the right hand video on this page https://absoluteblack.cc/
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

2x for me.

My bikepacking trips often involve steep hilly stuff but also faster road sections between off-road bits. I therefore like a wide range - and I happen to think that ginormous cassettes look crap.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

1x10 for me.

Was a singlespeeder for ten or so years before hand (a few years on 32x16 on a 29er), so changing to 32x11-36 was a massive luxury :-bd Just in the process of replacing the drivetrain, so having a 32x11-42 (I think?!), will hopeful help with traction on techy climbs :grin:

Fat bike is 34/22x11-36 so I can keep spinning in powdery snow.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

ScotRoutes wrote:I happen to think that ginormous cassettes look crap.
:lol: particularly after you've ridden a single speed set up. I work on the principal that you can't see it when you are riding.

Re freewheel longevity, I've not noticed any difference and there is no engineering reason why there should be any difference as the torque is the same (unless you are using 22-46 :mrgreen: ) maybe uneven loading due to greater chain angle in the granny gear? 'pends what type of freewheel it is I guess.
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

whitestone wrote:
NorwayCalling wrote:I have only one comment on this from my limited experience.

Curious. My Solaris has done 11,000km on the same freehub (Hope Pro 2 Evo). How often are you in the large cog? If you've got the correct sized chain ring for your usage then you should only be spending a small percentage of time in either of the end cogs. See the right hand video on this page https://absoluteblack.cc/
Its just a "standard setup" - SLX/XT setup on a Trek Rosco (27+) - 28 front 11/46 rear and with the 28 up front, even in hilly Wales, rarely in the 46. However, I do spend far too long in the 11 as the 28 is too small for most "gravity assisted" occasions.

I am thinking the actual hub is bad (poor tolerance and not round) which is making the bearings on the freehub body fail. You know, like folk with misaligned bottom bracket shells go through bottom brackets, whilst others "last for years".