20,000 miles a year

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

20,000 miles a year

Post by whitestone »

A short video about Lael Wilcox http://www.bikepacking.com/plog/lael-wi ... 000-miles/. Note that the video auto plays so ...
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
JohnClimber

Re: 20,000 miles a year

Post by JohnClimber »

Cheers for the share
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Fascinating stuff, but I can’t help posing quite a few questions, like:
Is there time for the usual million things we have to do to survive, like income for one thing, or is that provided by sponsors, wealthy husband/wife, inheritance etc. ?
(assuming she’s not retired, like me :-bd )

400 miles a week means brakes, hubs, all moving parts etc. need to be replaced quite a bit, which, even if going to lbs (local bike shop) - all takes time.

Plus the body parts wearing out, maybe maybe not, but after a year or two... you have to “listen to your body” a lot, and be wise, very wise...

The effect on the mind... always a very tricky one: when does effort and discipline and sticking to “the plan” become over the top, which can lead to ocd (obsessive compulsion disorder)

A fantastic athlete though despite the questions...

Any ideas ?
Scud

Post by Scud »

I think she is a very driven athlete, her results speak for themselves, i presume with sponsorship now it is full time for her and she must know her body, know when to rest and have the nutrition to support it.

In 2016 i did 9500 miles in a year, and that was purely commuting to and from work either 39 or 58 miles a day, i found i was fine for first 8-9 months but once the second winter kicked in and evenings started drawing in again, it seemed to really hit me, not helped by poor sleep and i start to get really fatigued and had to reel it back, and i am a very, very average cyclist!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Given that Anchorage isn't exactly conducive to biking regular long distances for a substantial part of the year it must mean that her summer mileages are even more impressive.

No idea on the income/living/inheritance thing, she's unlikely to be retired being 29 or 30. I've found that quite a few Americans who have an "alternative" (as in not following the "get a career and make lots of money to pay your debts" path) lifestyle will have something like a trust fund that's been set up for them.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
gairym

Post by gairym »

I read a while back that her (and her fella?) work half the year to fund spending the other half riding bikes around the world.

I'm assuming they've not gone down the route of mortgage, loans and lots of other silly 'grown up' (ha!) responsibilities and so no reason this isn't feasible (if you're willing to live basically, frugally and flexibly).

I'm also assuming that a bike was fully utilised during the six months of working for commuting, shopping, recreation etc...

All of a sudden the total doesn't seem so unobtainable.

She obviously wants something enough to fit her life around achieving it - fair play to her!