Waterproofs

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Re: Waterproofs

Post by redefined_cycles »

Theres also a recommendation I got from someone a while back. Stolen Goat Comman and Conquer... apparently very breathable and the waterproof threads are weaved into a standard cloth. Result is a jacket that beads water perfectly but also allows you to breath nice too... only thing that stopped me from getting one (aside from the expense) is that it lacks a hood...
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

redefined_cycles wrote:
Jurassic wrote:I've been looking at the OutDry jackets since I read this thread. They seem to tick all the boxes in my search for a bikepacking waterproof for the horrible West of Scotland weather conditions I usually ride in. I'm quite tempted by this one since it seems to have been designed for trail running and might be a bit lighter, any thoughts BB team? https://www.columbiasportswear.co.uk/me ... 11881.html
Is this the exact one Stu has got? I think I want one...
No, it's a different model. Stuart has the OutDry Ex Goldtech jacket. The one I posted the link to above is (as far as I can make out) a lighter construction designed more for trail running/light and fast walking rather than the bombproof mountain jacket of the Ex Goldtech. I'm still humming and hahing about it. :roll:
Drliamski

Post by Drliamski »

I bought one in Large but its a little bit to tight. Just.
Anybody got a medium they want to trade, otherwise its going back....
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

:???:
Drliamski wrote:I bought one in Large but its a little bit to tight. Just.
Excuse me for stating the obvious, but if size large is a little tight, then surely medium is not the answer?
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Thread hijack.

The seam tapes have gone in my MT500 shorts and water is coming in. Any better options before I replace them?
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

This is the one I have had and it's still as good as new (not worn with a back pack)

https://www.columbiasportswear.co.uk/me ... 11881.html

It's a bit lighter in colour than shown.

Mines a medium and fits great over 2 layers of cycling clothing in the winter, the arms are longer than most jackets I have used and perfect for riding bikes.

As mentioned at first sight you think WTF have I bought, but if you have tried and failed with other waterproofs in the past after riding in the rain with an outdry for any length of time you will be so glad that you had bought one.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

My humming and hahing phase has come to an end and I've taken the plunge and ordered an OutDry Ex Light shell, size large, I hope it's big enough for my colossal bulk! :shock: :oops: :grin:
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Dave Barter wrote:Thread hijack.

The seam tapes have gone in my MT500 shorts and water is coming in. Any better options before I replace them?
I got a pair of Altura 540's in the sale at Go Outdoors, been pleasantly surprised with how good they are. Pretty light too.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Dave Barter wrote:Thread hijack.

Seamtapes no bigdeal... I dont think you'll find something as quality in all aspects as the Endura Dave... I noticed that my Singletracks (due to the thickness of materials) even helped alot with pressure area relief on long runs (just had them converted into 3/4 lengths as they are around 10 years old and a bit rough around the edges...

Your mt500... you should get some of yhe high quality waterproof repair tape and reseam them. If not, if you're chucking away, then I'm happy to try and give em a newlease of life (unless you know a reason otherwise :-bd

Get yourself the seamtape...
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

JohnClimber wrote:
As mentioned at first sight you think WTF have I bought, but if you have tried and failed with other waterproofs in the past after riding in the rain with an outdry for any length of time you will be so glad that you had bought one.
I’m another one who’s bought one due to stu,s and others recommendations, I like my paramo but it always feels like it’s going to leak like a sieve, that certain level of moisture.....also it’s very warm and bulky.

One thing as others have noted, the Columbia does come up small, I’ve got my normal large and it’s a good cycling fit but not much extra room. It does look like it’s made from lorry tarp but a quick sprint to pickup a forgotten son and it seems to to breathe....we shall see.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Drliamski

Post by Drliamski »

Jurassic pusher wrote::???:
Drliamski wrote:I bought one in Large but its a little bit to tight. Just.
Excuse me for stating the obvious, but if size large is a little tight, then surely medium is not the answer?
:-bd
Was written in error. Slightly too big... Doh.
:cool:
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

My OutDry Ex Light jacket arrived from Sportpursuit this morning. I went for the size Large in Phoenix Blue, it was £74.99 plus another fiver for delivery (so still ten quid cheaper than the clearance on Columbia's own website). After reading BigdummySteve's comment about sizing in his post above I was worried it might be a bit small as I usually go XL in jackets but in reality it's plenty big enough with nice long arms (XL would have been huge on me, for reference I'm six feet tall, around 90 kilos and 43 ish chest). It rolls up pretty small (smaller than my Mountain Equipment Gore Active hillwalking jacket that I thought was pretty compact). On the scales it comes in at 322 grams. So far so good then. :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

Just window-shopping, as you do, and this popped up:

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... cket-p7219

98g! I bought the sister 76g hyper-condom when it was all the rage last year, but this would complement that. All you have to do is glance momentarily through closed fingers at the price......
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

All you have to do is glance momentarily through closed fingers at the price......
Don't ...
I'm just going outside ...
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Just received one of the Outdry Light jackets.

It's a funny old thing - others have mentioned the fabric's "feel" - I imagine that might "soften" a bit with use though expect it's always going to look pretty sowester :wink: The sizing is typically Columbia / US - long arms and a body built for the beefy / barrel-like so it's almost too roomy on me and I'm no sylph.

Despite all this, after a p1ss-wet walk on Saturday around the foothills of Coniston in a "regular" waterproof hardshell I am thoroughly funked-off with stuff wetting out and the subsequent internal saturation and bloody-cold-ness. Will be interesting to see if the Outdry is the answer. As a hot and somewhat hefty bugger I was considering Paramo but am struggling with the cost, fit (another built for the barrel-like) and potential warmth of them. Given I can do most stuff in a windproof and baselayer (except the freezing and wet conditions in Coniston recently).
mtbmarkymark

Post by mtbmarkymark »

Custom made Paramo's from "Cioch" on the Isle of Skye. lovely people. I got a pocketless, smock design with a close cut hood for under helmet use and long arms made for a very reasonable price. I have never wetted out in my Paramo and the breathability is fantastic so you really can wear all day like a windproof. Warmth is it's only downside since it feels like you are wearing a thin fleece with tough windproof over the top. I use mine in late Autumn, winter and early spring but switch to Event waterproofs outside this time
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Cheeky Monkey wrote:Just received one of the Outdry Light jackets.
Will be interesting to see if the Outdry is the answer.
It will be the answer for sure.

Please report back when it's got wet and you haven't :-bd