Another Garmin (Oregon) question

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

Another Garmin (Oregon) question

Post by whitestone »

Can the Garmin Oregon use TCX files? I've tried downloading a very simple tcx file created in both bikehike and Strava but it doesn't appear in the listings of tracks or routes? I've checked via the Track manager and via the "Where to? =>tracks" or "Where to? => routes" menus but no joy. I put the files in the GPX folder.

Or is there another way to get turn by turn navigation on the device?
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Re: Another Garmin (Oregon) question

Post by ScotRoutes »

Nope

Those are Garmin "Course" files which it doesn't support. A Track would be your closest alternative.

AFAIK Turn by turn navigation is only available with a Route on supported/routable mapping.
Last edited by ScotRoutes on Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Can't help but i had the same problem last week whilst trying to load the Cafe Racer route onto it.
Ended up just plumping for the standard gpx track.
Oli.vert

Post by Oli.vert »

Had the same problem. All I can get is a big solid line to follow, and to keep the screen turned on. True I can get the thing to beep to warn of a turn, but with a cycling wind and a hat I can't hear it. What I was hoping for was the same "Light's on - big FO arrow pointing next direction" like it does if it's actually navigating you somewhere - mainly down the nearest A-road in my experience.

What I want to know is what constitutes a routable map? I thought the OS 1:50,000 map that was bundled with my Oregon would be, but apparently not.
I've just read somewhere that the TOPO maps may well be, but Garmin's OS Discovery map centre says the OS maps are routable......so.....discovery by trial and error continues. I've seen less complete instruction manuals, but not often. :lol:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

OS Maps are only Routable if you stick to the road network.

Install a version of OSM (I like the OpenFietsMap) and it'll route along tracks identified on that as being suitable for bikes. What are those tracks? Well, it depends what folk like you and me have contributed.
Oli.vert

Post by Oli.vert »

Now that, is a hugely helpful answer, thanks. Automotive is a profile I've not bothered with upto now, but living in London and doing day rides mostly on road at the mo as all the bridleways are shitfests it'll probably keep me happy for day rides. It's the further afield rides that turn by turn would be useful for, and they'll for sure not be on roads all the time.

In the meantime I'll get my luddite brain around OFM. Thanks again.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

And a suggestion/tip.

Plan your route on the same version of mapping as you have in your GPS. Differences in locations and track definitions will otherwise have your Oregon recalculating the route and often coming up with something other than you'd planned. A simple way of doing this is to connect your Oregon to your PC and use Basecamp.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Cheers Colin.

I set my activity profile to either cycling or mountain biking.

We are doing a continental long distance route later this year, I've got the appropriate OpenFietsMap, but the GPX files will be provided rather than us generate it - I don't know what "extra" information will be in the file other than the line of the route (track). I suppose I'll be able to add waypoints myself in Basecamp for road junctions where we really don't want to go wrong!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

If it has been saved as a Track (likely on account of the number of points) then it'll not reroute anyway. Just be aware that the maps may not quite line up sometimes.

Edit: I've been threatening to write some of this stuff down for reference. This might be a good time to so so.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I'm not sure how many files the route will be sent in, anywhere from four upwards.

For the road/track sections it's going to be pretty obvious to follow the road rather than the drainage ditch ten metres to the left! For off-road sections then what's on the ground will probably take priority unless that heads in an obviously wrong direction. We had this at the weekend - the paper OS map said the BW was 100 metres to our right (through a very obviously wet bog next to a tarn!), the line on the OSM map on the Garmin was to our left but the obvious line on the ground was actually the easiest to follow and ride and took us directly to the gate to the next field. A bit of nous/common sense does need to be applied!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ScotRoutes wrote:I've been threatening to write some of this stuff down for reference. This might be a good time to so so.
That sounds like a good idea Colin. I suppose we could all chip in, collate it, correct misconceptions and mistakes and then it can be linked to.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

whitestone wrote: I suppose we could all chip in, collate it, correct misconceptions and mistakes and then it can be linked to.
That's the main reason I've put it off. I'm sure there's more than one way to skin a cat and I can't possible know all the variations in usage.
Oli.vert

Post by Oli.vert »

May be worth running it as an opensource/contributor project somewhere on Scotroutes site.

From a 1st glance DokuWiki looks like it might be ideal for it.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

OK, first contribution :-bd - This page has the links for setting up various Garmins: https://www.navigation-professionell.de/en/
nedrapier

Post by nedrapier »

Cheers whitestone, I'll have a look at that later.

Had my first negative experience of the Openmtbmaps at the weekend. A few tracks, even some surfaced roads we followed on our route weren't on the openmtbmaps map.

Good job we had Paul's OS on his etrex.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

nedrapier wrote:Cheers whitestone, I'll have a look at that later.

Had my first negative experience of the Openmtbmaps at the weekend. A few tracks, even some surfaced roads we followed on our route weren't on the openmtbmaps map.

I know what you mean, we came across this on Sunday

That shot was taken here http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=307231 ... &A=Y&Z=115 but there's nothing on the openfietsmap between a point below the word "Quarry" to a point west of the 393 spot height where the track comes up from the south. The nearby track leading past Great Tack isn't shown either.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

nedrapier wrote:Cheers whitestone, I'll have a look at that later.

I assume you've added it now?
whitestone wrote:I know what you mean, we came across this on Sunday

That shot was taken here http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=307231 ... &A=Y&Z=115 but there's nothing on the openfietsmap between a point below the word "Quarry" to a point west of the 393 spot height where the track comes up from the south. The nearby track leading past Great Tack isn't shown either.
And this?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've just been looking at how to then my tea was ready so got side tracked :wink: Looking into it now ...

Added them so once they've been reviewed they should be there :-bd
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

I really could do with someone giving me a heads up on how to get the best out of my Oregon..
Still in the not really “getting it”stage. :oops:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Teetosugars wrote:I really could do with someone giving me a heads up on how to get the best out of my Oregon..
Ask away :-bd

It's a generic device so there's lots of things that you might not want. I found a menu yesterday I'd not seen before! I'd no idea that particular icon had anything other than maybe a search field behind it. There's nearly as much going on as on a full desktop computer.
nedrapier

Post by nedrapier »

by ScotRoutes » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:39 pm

I assume you've added it now?
No idea how, never seen anything that needed adding before. I'll look it up. Cheers for the nudge.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've now done a few changes on OSM - it's a little tricky to get right. If you want I can add the missing path/track for you, use something like streetmap.co.uk and move the arrow to where the path starts/ends put the link on here and I should be able to figure it out.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Teetosugars wrote:I really could do with someone giving me a heads up on how to get the best out of my Oregon..
i have a Garmin Montana 610 and full UK 1:25k and 1:50k OS maps

similar beast, just slightly bigger.

one of the best finds for me was the map orientation.
had the unit set to "map up" (or worded something like that) which meant the map was constant and aligned north-south
stops the map going mental when the unit is turned when hiking, and one merely rotates the unit for the correct map orientation.
on a bike the unit (and therefore map and track) were fixed, so one would have to rotate the map in ones head.

then found an option for "track up" (or something like that) which basically keeps the little garmin arrow pointing north then rotates the map (and track) beneath.
a brilliant find.

get the impression the montana 610 has been discontinued (wanted to buy a second)
hoping for something newer
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

whitestone wrote:
Ask away :-bd

It's a generic device so there's lots of things that you might not want. I found a menu yesterday I'd not seen before! I'd no idea that particular icon had anything other than maybe a search field behind it. There's nearly as much going on as on a full desktop computer.
I will... lthough im more of a monkey see, monkey do kinda learner.. :oops: