how many?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ray Young

Re: how many?

Post by Ray Young »

royAB wrote:1 x Ventana full suss tandem
Any chance of a pic. I used to have a Dawes Double Edge MTB tandem, best fun i ever had on two wheels, once i'd fitted a suspension fork that is, it was useless offroad prior to that!
Ian

Post by Ian »

1 x Ventana full suss tandem (almost never used since Mrs B's back went )
I have a mate who has one of these - can't be many around?
Kumquat

Post by Kumquat »

just sold my 456 ti (sobs inconsolably).
Just have the Kona Honky Inc. and the Genesis altitude 30 853.
oh and the rockhopper holiday clunker.....
Grubby little urchin.
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

FLV wrote: Also, I now have more tents than cars... perhaps I should sell some of those too!
Nooo!! surely that is right - the day you have more cars than tents is the day you need to sort your priorities! :-)
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Ermm, Not sure, shall list them and then count.

1. 70s claud butler racer thingy with race face dues xc cranks singlespeed pub/uni campus bike (hiding in attic).
2. '04 specialized allez road bike
3. '08 marin muirwood rigid singlespeed MTB (with my own brazed on disc mount!)
4. '10 Cube Reaction GTC Sl carbon hardtail race mtb
5. '10 Trek Fuel Ex 9 - 120mm Full Susser (trail centre annihilator!)
6. '12 Kinesis Crosslight Pro 6, flat bar cyclocrosser but with mudgaurds and used for commuting
6.5 specialized s works replica carbon frame waiting for a few more parts and steal some from the Allez to become the new road bike

So 6 and a half, plus have a couple of old frames as room ornaments :lol:
FLV

Post by FLV »

adjustablewench wrote:
FLV wrote: Also, I now have more tents than cars... perhaps I should sell some of those too!
Nooo!! surely that is right - the day you have more cars than tents is the day you need to sort your priorities! :-)
I have no idea why I wrote cars. I meant bikes, both are true though. More tents than bikes and cars put together :D
You're also probably right about priorities too!
royAB

Post by royAB »

For longbike fans, one little-used Ventana; http://alturl.com/iwe5e
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

royAB wrote:For longbike fans, one little-used Ventana; http://alturl.com/iwe5e
Lovely, brings back sweet memories :D .
slarge

Post by slarge »

How do you guys cope with only a couple of bikes?

I seem to have a policy of never selling a bike (maybe because by the time I can afford a new one, the old one is almost worthless!)

Bill Nickson road bike from 1989 or so - Deddaccai tubed, 8 speed Durace but the frame has rusted through so now confined to the turbo
Ribble Sportive carbon road bike
Spesh Stumpjumper HT - race bike and great fun
Spesh Stumpjumper FSR - first proper MTB and love it
Dawes Tekarra - the bike that started me riding - now a slicked up 1x8 commuter

I still need:
Cyclocross bike - the next Cyclescheme purchase
29 er - although I might be too short for one!
vintage bike - not sure why, just need one
jameso

Post by jameso »

My reduced and fine-tuned garage now has 5 regularly used bikes.

Jones steel + truss - bikepacker and travelling bike - road, off road, geared, ss.
Jones Ti spaceframe - SS 98% of it's time, local singletrack enhancer, bought as a treat to myself as well as being a bike design geek / fan.
953 road bike w/Ultegra and silly light DT wheels - summer use, Alpine trips, centuries etc.
Genesis Equilibrium w/105 and perma-lights, seat pack and fenders - winter / training bike.
Converted Genesis Flyer town bike - the car replacer. Rust brown paint, 'tash bars and a BMX top tube pad for the GF to get a lift into town (under a mile!).

I seem to have got to a pleasing lack of bike-lust stage now. I have a revive-able susser in bits if an alpine lift-riding holiday etc comes up again but all that appeals less these days.
Thought about selling Fargo and Soda and buying a steel Jones, especially as Soda doesn't get the use it deserves these days. But then I ride em and can't bring myself to do it. Plus the thought of buying a heavier bike for bikepacking duties sort of goes against the grain. Just have to keep saving for the Ti jones I suppose
Do it..or at least try one ) warning, Jones evangelist here..! The Jones steel ain't light but it doesn't matter, really. It's lighter than eg a steel on-one F+F and the ride is stunningly good, makes the difference on a tired day. It's my 'until I can't pedal any more or it rusts through' keeper bike. Give me a stiff bike that handles that well with >20lbs attached over a more flexible ti bike any day. Having said that I still use the ti SF for lightly-loaded overnighters.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Bit of a topic resuraction here.

I did get down to 2 bikes.

Very XC hardtail (still on sus forks) - currently broken.
Road Bike, mainly gets used for commuting.

I've realised I definately need a 3rd bike :D
Mainly it would be an extra bike, wouldnt get ridden loads but it would be nice if its a bit different to what I have. I decided to look through the parts bin and see what I have so I can build a bike with them. Heres what I got:

Burly 26er Wheels, Lyrik Coil forks, SLX brakes, 31.6 seatpost, 50mm stem, 2.35ish tyres of various type, xt shifters, xt chainset, raceface deus chainset, flat pedals, 10spd cassette and chain.

Looks like a long forked hardtail may be on the cards.

*I knew 2 wasnt enough!!
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

I'm happy with only having 3 (2 road, 1 mtb).

MTB is getting ridden more than anything, especially with the dodgy weather (rigid 26er singlespeed). I would still like to upgrade it to a 29er (rigid or short travel hardtail SS or hub geared) but i'm making do with what i've got and it seems to be working ok.
I'm off to the Peak District next week so i'm sure when I come back, i'll be craving for my full sus back and arms and thighs that aren't broken.