Gravel Bike Components

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ZeroDarkBivi

Gravel Bike Components

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Just pulled the trigger on a new Open U.P. Frameset, but not sure what components and finishing kit to go for. I do have some specific ideas on what my requirements are, and I get a bit precious about silly stuff like the overall aesthetic!

As a lightweight myself, keeping the mass down is very important, without driving myself to bankruptcy.

In general, this is what I want:

Wheels
I already have some decent 700/29er MTB wheels for running in 32-40c CX configuration.
I need a light 650b disc brake wheelset for those times when I want to run a tubeless 2.1 MTB tyre. Stan's Crest look decent VFM, but would prefer something a bit lighter in this key area.

Groupset
Definitely Single chainring (probably oval) and disk brakes, so probably SRAM Force 1 (liked the feel of this when I demo'd the bike), with 10-42 cassette. struggling to find this package on the internet at present.
Crankset - must be 165mm, which rules out many options, including my preferred Easton EC90.
Chain - are the expensive ones (KMC, etc) worth the extra dosh?

Finishing kit
Bar - light Drop bar with a little bit of flare; Easton EC AX90 looks very promising.
Minimalist clip on aero extensions, for those long rides on easy tracks. Fancy the USE Boost bar, or something similar.
Seatpost - 27.2 Light and comfortable, although I am unconvinced there is any perceptible difference in comfort between materials.
Stem - probably something with a little bit of rise that I can flip up or down depending on the length of ride (and comfort required)
Bottle cages - side entry (L & R), light and secure. Ejected my bottle on Dirty Riever, which is not clever...
Pedals - probably stick with the Crank Bros egg beaters I have on my old bike. SPDs where clogging up in wet snow the other week.
Bottom Bracket - sadly PF (BB386 EVO); is Chris King worth the crazy money? Don't want to be regularly banging these in and out in case it buggers the frame!
Saddle - maybe another Fabric; works on the road bike.

Bags
A whole new topic on its own! Will worry about this once the thing is rideable.

Any recommendations much appreciated.
Last edited by ZeroDarkBivi on Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ianfitz

Re: Gravel Bike Components

Post by ianfitz »

I’m using Shimano 11 speed hydro brake shifters on my drop-bar-Thing. 10-42 sram cassette and a linderets device to tweak the cable pull. It works well and has been adjustment and trouble free for the six months + I’ve had it on there.

I really like richtey flared shallow drops. My favourite of the ones I’ve tried and used.

I’m using an xt crank in 165 (as on all my bikes) but it’s a standard bb on my frame. So Just needs one extra spacer to go from road to Mtb cranks there.

On a different bike I have a canton sprung seat post. It has 25mm of flexand is noticeably comfy. Ergon make the same one
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

In for penny, in for a pound. Copy the XT/Ultegra/Di2 set up as per the Arkose LTD. :-bd
robbie

Post by robbie »

U will find the chainset on bike . De
jameso

Post by jameso »

is Chris King worth the crazy money?
ime no, unless you're happy servicing them very regularly if the bike's used in wet conditions. King BB seems to rely on being able to clean the dirty grease out easily rather than have effective seals against UK conditions. I say this as a fan of the headsets and the watch-like mechanics of their kit but having put serious wear onto a King ceramic BB in just over a year (a big miles year yes but grease-tool serviced 5 times or more in that year). I seem to be getting better longevity as well as zero service needs from the new XT M8000 BBs - which is a welcome suprise as the prev design was junk.

Chains - Deore, D'Ace, KMC, makes no odds that I can tell ime. I just buy mid-range ones at ~£10-12. Lubing / cleaning methods make most notable difference.

650B Rims - WTB carbon i24s if I was spending ££. 390g, good width and WTB's tubeless rim profile works really well.

Sounds like a nice build, personally I'd want a double c'set and different gear gaps / better chain lines on what looks to be a road-plus bike (with aero bars etc) but that's all personal stuff. Oval's a good call, looking out for an oval inner ring for my all-roader. Whatever makes the wheels turn, all good.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Some interesting advice.

Can't find bike.de online, although lots of other similar sounding German shops.

If I was going 2x, I would consider Di2, or if Shimano had a 10-42 cassette for the XT, but tbh I really like the ergonomics of the SRAM shifter, and simplicity of 1x. I had a big issue with chain suck a while back that really put me off 2x...

Ian - is that the Ritchey Venturemax? Never heard of Canton, but found a review of the flexy Ergon CF3 Pro; is that the same thing?

Might also resort to the trusty vfm XT crank, as fielded my on other bikes too, but was hoping for something a bit lighter...
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:Some interesting advice.

Can't find bike.de online, although lots of other similar sounding German shops.

If I was going 2x, I would consider Di2, or if Shimano had a 10-42 cassette for the XT, but tbh I really like the ergonomics of the SRAM shifter, and simplicity of 1x. I had a big issue with chain suck a while back that really put me off 2x...

Ian - is that the Ritchey Venturemax? Never heard of Canton, but found a review of the flexy Ergon CF3 Pro; is that the same thing?

Might also resort to the trusty vfm XT crank, as fielded my on other bikes too, but was hoping for something a bit lighter...
Yes venture max. They are lovely.

Sorry canyon (autocorrect!). It’s the same as the ergon but can be had for cheaper, especially secondhand, as people don’t seem to know they are made.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Currently lashing up my straggler on the cheap - Cotic wheels that came with my old X, sunrace 11-40 9 speed, bar end shifter bodged onto the downtube mounts, old Xt rear mech, Sram rival crank nicked off my van nic with a superstar ring, BB7's, cane creek levers and 40mm WTB nanos

Bars wise Triton have a good deal on Salsa coobells which are a bit wider than the Ritcheys for less dosh.
Pete-G

Post by Pete-G »

I've got the Easton EA70AX bars and reckon they're great, shape seems spot on. 1x is a no brainer for me now. I'm currently running a superstar ring on a set of Ultegra cranks with a 105 long cage and a 11-36t sunrace 11speed cassette. Works well enough on my mixed surface commute with a couple of hills. Will have to see how it fairs with some prolonged climbing soon. Bigger cassette is definitely on the cards, but as and when funds allow.
Oh and the ubiquitous Brooks Cambium of course.
Javi

Post by Javi »

Nice frame the Open U.P.
Do you mean the Easton EC70 AX gravel drop bars? I have that one and am very happy with them but it's not a fair comparison with my commuter all steel bike.
Using a Rotor crankset mixed up with the the cx spider in 165mm. Velotech did it for me as the cx crankset doesn't come in 165mm. I have C-Bear pf30 bottom bracket. I'd say it lasts more than others but I can't really notice much difference.
For a 650b wheelset I don't know your budget but you could try DCR wheels.
For the comfort I have a Canyon VCLS 2.0 S14 (from 2015 discounted I guess), similar to the Ergon but more affordable. I went for Astute saddle to finally discover I have sit bones.
Scud

Post by Scud »

Only thing i would add is don't use the Canyon/ Ergon seatpost if you're more than about 80kg in weight, they have a top end of 90-100kg and that leaf spring action puts a real stress on seatube of frame ( i used one for Paris Roubaix and had a small crack coming down from top of seat tube and then spoke to a number of people hat had problems).

I think you can configure the Ultegra DI2 to work with XT Di2 rear mech for 1x? So it just goes up and down cassette...