what carbon bike - or Ti

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

journeyman

what carbon bike - or Ti

Post by journeyman »

My Surly ogre is a bit heavy for some 'stuff' coming up next year; ie I have to be more race orientated. So looking for something quite different
LBS does Cube and can offer me a good carbon Reaction at a good price - does anyone ride a Cube for bikepacking duties?
BMC team elite and Trek Procaliber have previously caught my eye as a possible big spend

I like the latter two but cube price is attractive.

Bike has to be for long days off road carrying the usual minimalist kit.

Any thoughts or experience of these or any alternatives for me to compare and consider? Is there a fave carbon bike?
ScotRoutes

Re: what carbon bike - or Ti

Post by ScotRoutes »

The Cube Reaction is quite a "racy" bike. Of course it would work for bikepacking (any bike will, really), but I'd be taking it for a ride before committing to buy.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Any bike is a good bike for bikepacking, and if you are keen for a fast carbon hardtail that's good for bikepacking you need one that fits well. Then look for a 100-120mm XC hardtail, with circa 66 degree head angle and enough space in the triangle for a framebag or 1 or 2 bottles. Then fill your boots. Cube, trek, Chinese frame makers, Spesh all make bikes that meet the spec.

It would be unrealistic to buy a bike that is perfect, so consider buying a frame and building it up with your choice of parts. Possibly cheaper, but you get to choose the right combination of durable vs lightweight vs cheap parts.
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

LBS does Cube and can offer me a good carbon Reaction at a good price - does anyone ride a Cube for bikepacking duties?
]
Cube Reaction 2015 carbon frame with carbon rs1 fork incl carbon steerer: a very good bikepacking race bike 2nd HT 2016, 4th 2017.
I briefly thought about a carbon xc fs for 2018 HT as I've always been beaten by people on fs bikes, but I've pimped my gears and I'm sticking with the Cube.
Minor niggles: the bike is very well balanced due to low bb, which even with cranks changed from 175 to 170 means you still bash pedals occasionally; internal cable for rear mech a pain, but it can be managed for cable changes in the wilds; the dedicated rear mech hanger is £30 and you obviously need to buy it immediately and carry as spare, even if you're lucky enough to never use it; the qr seat post clamp is a serious liability and should be changed immediately to Allen bolt clamp, but this applies to all bikes, not just Cube.
journeyman

Post by journeyman »

This is really helpful :grin: thanks!
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Worth keeping an eye on Planet X sales around xmas/NY for stupidly good deals in their sales. I know I'm not the only rider of this parish that's picked up a Titus Fireline frame off there for a hefty discount. It's a lovely bit of metal to ride.

edit - and as if by magic... https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRTITFL29 ... 29er-frame

edit again - I'm really tempted to buy a Space Chicken :geek:
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

[quote="In Reverse" edit again - I'm really tempted to buy a Space Chicken :geek:[/quote]

Me too. Been looking at them for a while. It's almost identical geometry to the Open UP albeit a bit heavier but loads cheaper.