Waterproof short recomendations

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Brothersmith

Waterproof short recomendations

Post by Brothersmith »

My faithful Altura waterproof shorts have finally died a death. I have two sets of these and loved em, however the current version of them is a bit baggy enduro rider for me, not a good look when you have short legs :grin:

Anyone have any recomendations for alternatives? Shorts please, don't get on with 3/4, they look like trousers on me :lol:
padonbike

Re: Waterproof short recomendations

Post by padonbike »

For cheap and reasonably reliable the £20 Tenn overshorts really aren't bad if you're willing to accept 1 winter per pair.
I don't normally like Endura stuff but I must say that the MT550 cordura shorts are performing well: lightweight, packable, wearing well and good standard or waterproofing. The internal leg fastener was extremely annoying and it looks like this has been moved outside on the latest version. These are around £70.
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

I have the Endura MT550 shorts and bought these as a replacement for the Gore Alp X 2.0 which I really liked and they stopped making (why do companies do that!)
The MT550 are a slim fit and I am pleased with them.
I have a pair of Altura Attack in a small if you're interested, not had a lot of use and sat in a draw for three years, don't really fit my chicken legs like the Gore or Endura :wink:

Just had a look at the Altura Attack shorts and they look like they are 3/4 length!
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

For cheap and reasonably reliable the £20 Tenn overshorts really aren't bad if you're willing to accept 1 winter per pair.
Aye, I found them to work as well as anything else with holes at the bottom.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

I have a pair of Altura Attack in a small if you're interested, not had a lot of use and sat in a draw for three years, don't really fit my chicken legs like the Gore or Endura :wink:
Could be interested in those, I will drop you a PM

Those of you that have the Tenn shorts are they thin nylon ones or fairly heavyweight?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Those of you that have the Tenn shorts are they thin nylon ones or fairly heavyweight?
Fairly heavy - certainly not, like thin nylon over-trousers.
May the bridges you burn light your way
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Gore PowerTrail are pretty good but aren't as "Fitted"/complicated as the Alp-X were. Subtle-ish on the branding too.
Javi

Post by Javi »

I'm tired of destroying few very good Gore Alp-x 3.0, quite light and good fit. The grit and mud on the saddle easily destroys fabric. Now just bought these army waterproof trousers and going to cut around the knees. I hope they'll survive winter.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-Milit ... o1BSrwzEXg

Ok, baggy I must admit
Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

Thanks guys. Very kindly sorted by Chicken Legs with some Altura replacements :-bd
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Now just bought these army waterproof trousers and going to cut around the knees. I hope they'll survive winter.
Erm .... Javi, how are you going to cut across the knee when they have a zip running all the way down the side???? :shock: :shock: :shock:
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

padonbike wrote:
Now just bought these army waterproof trousers and going to cut around the knees. I hope they'll survive winter.
Erm .... Javi, how are you going to cut across the knee when they have a zip running all the way down the side???? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Big scissors.

I’ve got a couple of pairs of the RAF Goretex ones and they’re great. The only shorts I’ve ever had that never let in water at the arse at all
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Remind me - if usually tween sizes, should I size up or down with the Tenns?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

boxelder wrote:Remind me - if usually tween sizes, should I size up or down with the Tenns?
Up!!

They're definitely not commodious