South Downs Way tyre choice

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Tomwoodbury

South Downs Way tyre choice

Post by Tomwoodbury »

Will be doing the SDW over a leisurely 3 days with friends next week and given current weather I'm getting a little concerned over tyre choice. I'll be on a rigid Surly Ogre, wondered if anyone has ridden the route in the last week and how they fared on the wet chalk! Thanks Tom
jameso

Re: South Downs Way tyre choice

Post by jameso »

Based on how the Ridgeway gets when wet, proper mud tyres or at least something all-ronund that's good in the wet like a Spesh Purgatory. And avoid the wet but hardpacked and green-tinged chalk bits at all costs : )
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

Cheers. I've got some Geax Gatos mud tyres that might do the trick, Spesh Ground Control or Maxxis Ardent 2.4. Also potentially I could stick a plus sized wheel in the front. Only have Knards in that size though which aren't the best in the wet.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Not Ardents, I like them in the dry but not good in the clag.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I rode the bottom 45 miles of the ridgeway this Monday and it was in surprisingly good condition, I used a pair of chupucabra 29+ tyres and they were great. I have a pair of maxis chronicles if you are anywhere near banbury, welcome to try one on the front, not the best in heavy mud but better than a knard
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

Thank you for the offer but I'm nowhere near Banbury. Think if it's still wet next week I'll try the Gatos or maybe buy some specialized storm controls which worked well on the Downs for me a few years back.
Crow

Post by Crow »

I rode the South Downs Way Winchester to Eastbourne on Monday night with a mate we both used 40c WTB Nano tubeless. These tyres are very strong (no punctures) they run fast in dry and gravel but wet chalk and S.D mud makes them less than ideal. Conditions were slippery although Eastbourne end was dryer then(probably worse now) there was also a diversion around the Boomtown Event which is well sign posted. Flint rips are your worst problem so something with a strong sidewall. For a mountain bike I have used Racing Ralph double defense tyre with good results but make sure it is the Double Defence version. Enjoy the ride.
Kumquat

Post by Kumquat »

Any
Grubby little urchin.
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

Thanks Crow
Matt

Post by Matt »

Having done the SDW 4 times I would recommend an e-bike tyre still attached to the e-bike

HTH :-bd
Javi

Post by Javi »

I've just done the SDW this Saturday on 35mm G Ones. Not happy descending, better something bigger. Someone told me to try Surly knards 41mm.