Transcontinental 2017 - TCRNO5

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

PeterC

Re: Transcontinental 2017 - TCRNO5

Post by PeterC »

Looks as if I'm digging myself into a hole here, when all I wanted to do was add a bit to the conversation!

Blackhound, I was not aware of all of the rules so I am glad to hear of that and of your decision to comply with the rules, I have no doubt that whilst it added to the miles I hope the cycling was a more pleasant experience.

Jameso, Yes, green boxed number are A roads. Single digit numbers are primary routes, double digit numbers are secondary A roads. Some are also designated as Euro routes in which case they are likely to be carrying a more than usual amount of HGV's, although at the moment a lot of harvesting is going on which makes for busy roads. (Pm incoming)

I feel for the competitors these last few days, temps here have been in the high 30's all week and today the forecast is for over 40, I think it's even hotter as they head south, I couldn't ride 20 hours in that!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

One would hope the organisers would contact all the rule-breakers asap to let them know they've been DQed. No point in them continuing to put themselves at risk only to find out afterwards.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Looks as if I'm digging myself into a hole here,

Not at all, just interesting as I wasn't aware of that. I've been stopped in Germany for riding on a road I shouldn't have been on - makes you realise how complex the route planning must be.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

That's 'my two dots' out.

First rider citing knee trouble, not sure why it flared up on the TCR and not in the training rides (quite a few 600km audaxes) and the second rider couldn't cope with the daytime heatwave. He wanted to ride at night but his family weren't best please, so he's scratched it "it's only a bike race" to quote him.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Simon, Re the temp, now just before midnight here, thermometer tells me 30 inside house 29.5 outside. Haven't done much cycling this week myself, can't even begin to think how most of the riders have got this far.
P
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

James Hayden is achingly close to winning this only a few more miles to go
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Dave Barter wrote:James Hayden is achingly close to winning this only a few more miles to go
There we go, all done for James :-bd

Guessing about 3500(ish) KM in under 9 days :shock: Very impressed!
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Dave Barter wrote:One idea that Duncan mentioned in Spain which is a neat one is that race performance is measured on moving speed rather than overall time. That then takes the onus away from minimising stops and puts it onto maximising speed. I think it has merit and a few of the ITTs have required mandatory night/rest stops.
Have to say I don't like that at all. Limits available strategies and tips the balance towards naturally faster riders.

For me the attraction of this type of racing is that people who are less naturally gifted but more efficient and determined can still mix it with the best riders.

That sounds like a stage race. Which is fine if that's what people want to race. But it's not a bike pack race.

In terms of the tcr I'm surprised, that the CPs close so early. The standard in ultra distance racing is that the back of the field will take 2x as long as the winner so it should be easy to figure out closing times.
gairym

Post by gairym »

Just read on the facebook that a TCR rider was struck by lightening!!!

Ok apparently and carrying on but jeees, that'd shake you up a little, no?

Big bang, a flash and woke up on the floor with a cut hand and feeling 'a bit fizzy'.

Dangerous stuff this bikepacking malarkey!
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

gairym wrote:Just read on the facebook that a TCR rider was struck by lightening!!!

Ok apparently and carrying on but jeees, that'd shake you up a little, no?

Big bang, a flash and woke up on the floor with a cut hand and feeling 'a bit fizzy'.

Dangerous stuff this bikepacking malarkey!
Just about to post that too!

Also riders earlier in the week had hail to deal with, can't win with the weather this year!
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

My mate from Reus has under 200km left to go. I seem to remember that there's some sort of award for finishing in under 2 weeks i.e by 10pm today, could those who know confirm this? He appaered to have a problem yesterday as he was stopped all day.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
psling

Post by psling »

Yes, just read that Dave before coming over on to here.
Well written blog piece, gives a good insight into some of the mental conflict experienced whilst taking part in these races.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Very good read from Jo Burt
Kinda put me off ever wanting to ride a bike for any time period greater than 2 hours ... although it did make me hungry.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Very good read from Jo Burt
Kinda put me off ever wanting to ride a bike for any time period greater than 2 hours ... although it did make me hungry.
You still owe the Bikepacking public a trip round that 2014 route. That will take longer than two hours :ugeek:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You still owe the Bikepacking public a trip round that 2014 route.
I'm in training.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
You still owe the Bikepacking public a trip round that 2014 route.
I'm in training.
:-bd
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

And the last placed person will be finishing anytime soon...!