Boring.....29er Tyres.....

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Moff

Boring.....29er Tyres.....

Post by Moff »

Having only used Schwalbe Racing Ralph's and sometimes a Nobby Nic on the Singlespeed/Bikepacking bike for the last 10yrs.

The current rear tyre did this, in multiple places on the rear tyre......with less than 1200km on it.
Get another one in there new 'improved' Addix design or some thing else???

Running Stans Flows on a Salsa El Mariachi, could run a 2.4 on the rear.
whitestone

Re: Boring.....29er Tyres.....

Post by whitestone »

Looks like you've run along the edge of something. Quite likely that the same would happen to any tyre.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Moff

Post by Moff »

If it was an isolated bit of damage, I'd agree. Actually the pic above isn't the worst bit.....

There's plenty of life in the tread.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Is it the expensive Tubeless ready version??

I had similar damage to my Rapid Rob 2.1" that was the "performance line" version. Since switching to a TL Ready Trail Star Rock Razor the tyre is still immaculate after about 1,000 miles
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

What's the clearance like on your bike? I had the same thing with a conti tyre and concluded it was mud/gravel rub where it had caught between frame and tyre.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I'd be tempted to say you didn't run enough pressure in the tyre and that's the result, but could be woefully wrong.

Bontrager do a brilliant range of tyres, look at the SE range (special enduro IIRC that have reinforced sidewalls), should prevent the above happening (if my diagnosis is correct!)
slarge

Post by slarge »

Have fallen out of love with the racing ralphs on the rear of my hardtail - even the tubeless ready snakeskin versions seemed easy to puncture the sidewall on. Have invested in Maxxis Ikons and I have to say that as a rear tyre it excelled last weekend in muddy, gloopy, sloppy conditions. No huge moments or real grip problems for what should be a dryish weather tyre.