torino nice logistics help

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

windjammer

torino nice logistics help

Post by windjammer »

cant decide how to travel to turin and get back from nice,what are the pros and cons of a return flight from turin or 2 seperate flights from different airports.

if i complete the route in 8 days ill will have spare days in nice to relax,or could make my way back to turin using train and bike.

or could fly back from nice but would need to wash my clothes to fly back in,find a place to stay for a few nights,find some place to get a bike box and padding

all of my previous trips have been circular routes,have left a bag clothes for the return trip and my bike bag

thanks matt
Bearbonesnorm

Re: torino nice logistics help

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If it helps ... Chew and me flew from Manchester to Milan. Landed early Thursday evening and procceded to ride to Turin. Arrived in Turin Friday afternoon. Stayed at the Tomato Hostel and went out for a pizza with the gang. Arrived in Nice sometime later, another night in a hostel and a pizza (or was it a burger?) with the gang and flew back to Manchester the next afternoon.

We used CTC bike bags and carried them with us, so no messing about with boxes or left luggage ... 'twas simple.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Chew

Post by Chew »

As Stu says, if you can travel in/out of different airports it's much easier.

Plenty of options to get a bike box/random gaffatape/CTC bag in Nice.
If you did want to in/out of the same airport then I'd do it at the start of your journey, as it's less hassle, but can't really think of a reason to why.

Still think 8 days would be optimistic to ride the full route, but if you do get ahead of schedule then what's the rush in getting to Nice? Just enjoy a bit more time out on the hills.

I just wore the same clothes to travel home in that I'd used for sleeping in and Stu was in his riding stuff, and no one battered an eyelid. If you felt the need you can always pick up a novelty t-shirt before you travel home :-bd

One thing.....don't go for a cigarette have way building up your bike, to leave someone else to complete the other half :wink:
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

One thing.....don't go for a cigarette have way building up your bike, to leave someone else to complete the other half :wink:
whats that mean
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

I'm picturing stu mincing off for a fag in his hotpants as he leaves Chew to sort the bikes . . :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm picturing stu mincing off for a fag in his hotpants as he leaves Chew to sort the bikes . . :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oddly (or not), you're oh so close to the terrible truth.
May the bridges you burn light your way
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

found some flights stanstead to turin on the 4th,nice to stanstead on the 16th.total cost 165 quid including 60 quid each way for the bike is that a good price
jameso

Post by jameso »

£165 inc bike is good, and it'll only go up.
SixPotBelly

Post by SixPotBelly »

windjammer wrote:found some flights stanstead to turin on the 4th,nice to stanstead on the 16th.total cost 165 quid including 60 quid each way for the bike is that a good price
Also look at BA. With them your bike is treated as hold luggage for ticketing purposes, so as long as you buy a ticket that includes hold luggage and take nothing else it'll travel for free. From the London area they fly Gatwick to Turin, and Nice to both Gatwick and Heathrow.
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

SixPotBelly wrote:
windjammer wrote:found some flights stanstead to turin on the 4th,nice to stanstead on the 16th.total cost 165 quid including 60 quid each way for the bike is that a good price
Also look at BA. With them your bike is treated as hold luggage for ticketing purposes, so as long as you buy a ticket that includes hold luggage and take nothing else it'll travel for free. From the London area they fly Gatwick to Turin, and Nice to both Gatwick and Heathrow.
thanks for the tip
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

+1 for BA. I used them for last years TNR. I carried on my saddle and harness bags; everything else was in the CTC bag in the hold. No extra baggage fees.

Greetz

S.
Crazy English

Post by Crazy English »

+1 BA, they were fantastic and cheap. my flights cost less then £100 each way and my bike was considered luggage.