North Devon

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BigdummySteve

North Devon

Post by BigdummySteve »

My little trip to Devon is in danger, the plan was to drop daughter off in westward Ho! Then have four days to myself riding the brounton150 course.
My wife had now decided it might be a great opportunity to spend a few days at our place there. Being that said place is 5 miles away from any type of civilianisation I can't see me disappearing for the duration.

I've ridden around the porlock and a little around brounton, any good pointers for the best riding in the area. My gut feeling is the route from minehead through to the valley of the rocks might be best for a shorter overnighter but I'd welcome any pointers for the best riding and bivvy stops.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
ianfitz

Re: North Devon

Post by ianfitz »

I'm no expert on the area, having ridden there once on this years B150. But I can tell you that my favourite bit of riding on the whole thing was the trail down through the woods on the second trip to porlock.

As for bivy spots, there is many. I was looking at lots of them very enviously while, erm, enjoying the headwind and heavy rain overnight. :roll:
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

ianfitz wrote:I'm no expert on the area, having ridden there once on this years B150. But I can tell you that my favourite bit of riding on the whole thing was the trail down through the woods on the second trip to porlock.

As for bivy spots, there is many. I was looking at lots of them very enviously while, erm, enjoying the headwind and heavy rain overnight. :roll:
I think I've ridden that, was one part called ' granny's ride' ?
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I can highly recommend the trails east of Dunkery Beacon above Minehead and out into the Quantocks.
Some lovely little wooded valleys and rolling ridge lines. Plenty of places to tuck in to bivi overnight as well.
Did an overnighter up that way in the spring and had a fantastic time.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

There are a couple of routes on bikepacking.com which might be of use.