BB530

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richard G

Re: BB530

Post by Richard G »

Definitely not a problem for me... doesn't matter who I'm with, I'll literally talk to anyone and everyone.

Problem with working on my own means that when I'm finally let out with other people I just can't shut up. :oops:
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Wish I had the time to pore over maps and create my own routes, but we all know it's not that simple, and without local knowledge or a recce our line on the map can turn into an epic, especially if you have limited time to complete. Hence I often end up riding round established routes, not necessarily as a Time Trial, but just because there is a better chance there will be a trail below my wheels when I'm following the pink line...

Perhaps that's part of the fun of the WRT - the route is always a cuff and you have to stay flexible! But I also like the focus and atmosphere of a group start, even if I know I might not see anybody else after the first 12 hours. And whilst we can't call it racing, when 40 people set off on an ITT at the same time, and there is a website tracking their progress, it certainly looks a lot like a race...!
Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Another problem with a group start is selecting a date. There's so much going on these days and I'll always try and avoid clashing with anything else ... maybe the week between Christmas and New Year would be good :wink:
That is a ridiculous time to do a multi-day ride/race, but it hasn't stopped the Strathpuffer from becoming stupidly popular.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Once I'm done with the HT550 and the Borders 350 this year I'm done with ITT's and will be 'touring' various routes instead. Always fancied doing a good route in Wales so this may well be it. Cheers!
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:That is a ridiculous time to do a multi-day ride/race, but it hasn't stopped the Strathpuffer from becoming stupidly popular.
Slightly different story on the Strathpuffer. You're never more than an hour away from getting out of the weather / taking a break / whatever.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Agreed, there's a lot to be said for solo touring. I thought I was odd for enjoying it a long time ago, now realise that I like riding alone at times and I like how a solo tourer does seem to meet more people along the way, more than you do as a small group of riders I think. Maybe that's just the group I've ridden with a few times .. I'd avoid us :grin:

Planning your own routes is great but equally so is following a route that's been planned out by someone who knows the area well. As a route gets ridden more I think people come to expect the riders at the pubs and cafes that make the most natural stop-points, that can really add to it. Mid-Wales may not get to the level of the big, 50+ rider per GD routes like the HT or TD but it deserves to. It's got a lot going for it. This is on my to-ride list anyway. Needs a cool shield logo to go with the route name.. maybe a cloth patch ; )
littlegirlbunny

Post by littlegirlbunny »

I agree about solo touring/endurance rides. I spent all my weekday evenings doing social rides with others and often weekends too. Social mtb rides are great! However I'm v antisocial on the road bike and if I am honest I also like my space on long distance off-road tours sometimes. It adds a different dimension to it that I can't quite pinpoint.

Agree about the Strathpuffer being v different (and actually very safe) however there is definitely demand for mad-end stupidity and, if you are going to group start, between Christmas and New Year sounds like a champion plan. :-bd
slarge

Post by slarge »

I did about 320km of this route starting in Knighton, and with a couple of tussocky deathmarch sections replaced it is a brilliant route. Climbing wise it is tough but rideable, 8500m in the 320km I rode, and probablyy another 4000 to go, so Stu's stats are about right. There are plenty of food, overnight and transport options, so if time is tight or people are worried about eating etc then don't stress.

I really enjoyed the bit I did. I was hoping to finish in 3 days, but that is too short a time to do this ride justice, so had to bail and get the train.

I almost asked Stu to change the name to GrizzlyBear530, as it could be a real tough route if the weather turned, but as it stands it is achievable by anyone with the time to do it.

Ian, I was all set to do your Cambrian Trail, but the logistics do make it harder to plan. I am fairly short of free days to ride, so finding a 3-4 day slot is always going to be a challenge. 6 hours train ride is 6 hours less time to ride.....