a trip to the cairngorms next week

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mike

a trip to the cairngorms next week

Post by Mike »

Im planning a trip to the cairngorms to ride the two loops. Im going to start from the car park at Briar Atholl and do it clockwise - is this the best way to hit it or is it better anti clockwise? Anyone done this route im out for 6days planning to take the tarp but not sure on temp so may take the laser comp...ive read that there are a few bothys on route - can anyone recommend any of these for a night stop. Seen the thread on STW about the inner loop and it looks vaguely exciting. Ive not ridden this area before so not sure what to expect from it. Remoteness and cold are definates though! maybe some snow if im lucky. Hoping to travel as light as possible however the weather may have other plans for me.

Any advice is welcome guys - how was the BB200 this yr for those who rode it?
Gari

Re: a trip to the cairngorms next week

Post by Gari »

Plenty of snow at the moment.
Not sure where the inner loop actually goes but if it is through the Laraigh an Laoigh expect it to be pretty soggy at the least. Parts of Glen Tilt will be pretty wet too I would think, mainly the section north of the Falls of Tarf.
There is a shelter at Fords of Avon refuge, GR042032, also Bob Scotts hut near Derry Lodge, it's a private bothy so not sure how the access works. Then there is Ruigh Aiteachain bothy at GR928847 if you are heading through Glenfeshie, when I went through a few weeks ago there was alot of argacat wear and tear on the track east from the end of the track at Creag Bheag most of the way to Geldie Lodge/burn, unridable in the wet, well past ankle deep :D

gari
Chew

Re: a trip to the cairngorms next week

Post by Chew »

Clockwise, othwise the middle sections would be very miserable. It's also stag season so worth checking with the estates if it's ok to ride through and if the bothies will be free.

It's remote so make sure you go prepared as food options are limited, and worth checking out the conditions as if the ground isn't dry/frozen there will be quite a bit of bikeahike.