Garmin touring

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

msrockhopper

Garmin touring

Post by msrockhopper »

Looking at getting a garmin gps touring but am a bit wary after reading the reviews. Does anyone have any experience of the unit or can you recommend any other gps such as the lezyne? I don't need it for speed, heart rate, etc. I only want a unit to be able to download a routemap onto when riding abroad or in unfamiliar areas.
johnnystorm

Re: Garmin touring

Post by johnnystorm »

If you have a smart phone then the Wahoo elemnt or elemnt bolt look a good alternative.

Have a look at DC Rainmakers webpage, he does the best gps reviews. Better to look there than have me half arsedly regurgitate it! :lol:
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

I have the edge touring and it's great apart from the battery life. I bought it as a replacement to my lost edge 200 as it was on a good offer at Halfords. If I was buying again I'd go for an etrex that takes batteries so I don't have to worry about charging on the move
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Oregon - or Dakota if you don't mind the smaller screen.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

A secondhand etrex for less money may well be a better bet
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Got a new eTrex in November, new from amazon for £125ish. Been impressed with it, needs an SD card for extra memory but it's a great piece of kit.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

I use an 810. Can't fault it really.

As those people ^ said you need to consider how you'll charge it, as you'd be lucky to get two days' use out of a full battery. If you're touring and stopping in B&B's every night then no worries. If you're bivvying then you'll need a dynamo hub and suitable kit on the bike.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

In Reverse wrote:If you're bivvying then you'll need a dynamo hub and suitable kit on the bike.
Or take a battery pack and the charging cable and top it up at night
msrockhopper

Post by msrockhopper »

Will an etrex map like a garmin touring will? Charging isnt an issue as I'll use a power bank or mains. Basically want a sat bav for my bars which I can input gpx files onto, etc
danielgroves

Post by danielgroves »

msrockhopper wrote:Will an etrex map like a garmin touring will? Charging isnt an issue as I'll use a power bank or mains. Basically want a sat bav for my bars which I can input gpx files onto, etc
Yes -- you can use mapping on an etrex. I'm using a etrex 30x with this mapping quite successfully (set to "Routable Bicycle (Openfietsmap Lite)"): http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl
Adventures and Photography Blog: danielgroves.net/adventures-photography
Twitter: @danielsgroves
Instagram: @danielsgroves
Photography on Facebook: facebook.com/danielgrovesphotography
Photography on Instagram: @danielgrovesphotography