Post by Chew »

##### Dave Barter Alert #####

Steve "absolute nutter" Abraham is having another go at the year record

http://oneyeartimetrial.org.uk/
Dave Barter

Re: One Year Time Trial

Post by Dave Barter »

Yes, I am involved in the attempt.

Steve's been under a trainer in 2016 and has taken on board a lot of the failings of the last attempt and experience gained during his month record.

You may not know this but Steve currently has a mountain to climb as Amanda Coker is averaging 230+ MILES PER DAY. with 66,000+ on the clock already.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Amanda Coker is averaging 230+ MILES PER DAY.
:shock:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mike

Post by Mike »

Have they nowt else to do in life but ride? Thats a lots of riding to be done
Scud

Post by Scud »

Been following this over the last few years, and whilst i really admire Steve coming back for a second crack after being hit the first time by the fool on the moped, his approach of slow, long days doesn't seem to allow him the recovery time that Amanda Coker or the US guy, Kurt (surname slips my old mind) seem to have got by riding a higher pace, shorter day?

Plus, whilst i think Amanda Coker is super-human, she has the weather and is riding the same track every day, which whilst she must have a high boredom threshold, means she isn't dicing with traffic and UK weather.

It is mad that she hasn't cycles the second longest distance ridden by a human being in a year, with 3 months to go!!
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Scud wrote:Been following this over the last few years, and whilst i really admire Steve coming back for a second crack after being hit the first time by the fool on the moped, his approach of slow, long days doesn't seem to allow him the recovery time that Amanda Coker or the US guy, Kurt (surname slips my old mind) seem to have got by riding a higher pace, shorter day?
Kurt Searvogel. His wife is currently riding for the women's record as well

Steve has trained his speed up a lot and is now averaging 17mph+ over 200 miles (try it). He knows full well what is required and managed to take the month record riding at that sort of schedule. Even so it is a big ask and he knows it.
Plus, whilst i think Amanda Coker is super-human, she has the weather and is riding the same track every day, which whilst she must have a high boredom threshold, means she isn't dicing with traffic and UK weather.

It is mad that she hasn't cycles the second longest distance ridden by a human being in a year, with 3 months to go!!
It's not all roses for Amanda, she's contended with some nasty weather over her year including storms, hurricanes and wind. The fact that she has made it look easy is testament to her endurance and mental ability.

It's bloody hard this record and if you want to know more there is this book....
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I can't average 17mph over 50 miles, let alone 200. Stupid bloody hills. :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It's bloody hard this record and if you want to know more there is this book....
And a very good book too - highly recommended for anyone with even a fleeting interest in such things.

May the bridges you burn light your way
Scud

Post by Scud »

Steve has trained his speed up a lot and is now averaging 17mph+ over 200 miles (try it). He knows full well what is required and managed to take the month record riding at that sort of schedule. Even so it is a big ask and he knows it.
I wasn't knocking Steve at all, believe me i really do have every admiration, i've done what i consider a few daft events, 310 miles in 19 hours from Newcastle to London (and other daft rides) and i clocked between 36-58 miles a day for over 9500 miles for the year. This totally broke me, but did give an incite into what they put themselves through and a sense of wonder as to how they do it day in, day out!

I have read your Obsessive Compulsive Cycling Disorder and that ace, so have ordered The Year now.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

One of you might know, given the experience with the subject in here...

...has anyone ever properly studied one of the riders doing this sort of event? Things like heart rates, heart rate variability, weight, body composition, lactate buildup, muscle breakdown, bloodwork, cortisol levels etc. Would really be interested in finding out what sort of effect this has on the human body over the course of the year.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I didn't think you were scud.

Steve was criticised a lot for his last attempt (even though he actually gained the UMCA record for his age) some of it rightly so. I was part of the team telling him that is was time to stop and rethink his approach. It was desperately hard given how much time and effort he had invested in it to that point. He seems a lot more pragmatic about this attempt, taking nothing as given and knowing that if he hasn't got the numbers in the bag early on then he's not going to make it. It's looking like his target could be 83,000 miles if Amanda keeps this pace up.

If anyone is in the Milton Keynes area then go and ride a few hours with him. He's up for it this time round and it would be nice for the UK cycling community to support him in what little way they can. Just don't do what Numplumbz did and break yourself in the process ;-)
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Richard G wrote:One of you might know, given the experience with the subject in here...

...has anyone ever properly studied one of the riders doing this sort of event? Things like heart rates, heart rate variability, weight, body composition, lactate buildup, muscle breakdown, bloodwork, cortisol levels etc. Would really be interested in finding out what sort of effect this has on the human body over the course of the year.
Yes, it fucks them. Next question ;-)

Seriously. Steve was under a reasonable amount of medical scrutiny last time round. All sorts of awful things happened to him from depressed red blood cell count to a distended belly. Basically it's not very good for you.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Will keep an eye out for him as he was on my local roads last year, saw him at least once.
Bearbonesnorm wrote:Amanda Coker is averaging 230+ MILES PER DAY.
On the same track, surely not the same track for the whole year??

I need to read Dave's book, I'll learn something from it I'm sure. I don't get this 'most miles' thing, mainly as I don't relate to data totals as a motivator or goal-driver but I guess it can be a fair means to an end/experience. Anyway I don't suppose others understanding 'why' it matters a jot, it's still weirdly interesting.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Dave Barter wrote:Yes, it fucks them. Next question ;-)

Seriously. Steve was under a reasonable amount of medical scrutiny last time round. All sorts of awful things happened to him from depressed red blood cell count to a distended belly. Basically it's not very good for you.
Ha... well yeah, I figured it wasn't going to be particularly healthy.
Scud

Post by Scud »

I will certainly ride with him or if not cheer him on when he comes my way (i did last time he came to North/West Norfolk)
Chew

Post by Chew »

jameso wrote: I don't get this 'most miles' thing, mainly as I don't relate to data totals as a motivator or goal-driver but I guess it can be a fair means to an end/experience
I kind of feel the same after completing the Crikey, how much 500.
Chasing miles can lead to dull rides, as you're looking for flat roads, rather than interesting ones
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I handled that 500 thing differently. Used it to get explorer squares, and if there were hills then so be it.

Not that the wankes sent me my badge. :(
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

I finished 'The Year' last week, it's an excellent read. Dave clearly put a lot of work into it and I was surprised at the background and detail he managed to find on so many riders. In the time I have owned it Tommy Godwin would have just about ridden 100,000 miles!

I might be able to manage 10-15 miles at 17mph but that is about all. Over a decade ago I could have managed 50 miles at that pace but 230 miles every day is mind boggling to me.

Dave: What is Steve doing differently this time to avoided the distended belly and depleted red blood cells? Is that what the magnesium helps with?
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Changed his diet and surprisingly weighted it to protein more than carbs. I am not sure I fully get it but after a period of adaption it seemed to up his energy levels.

Thanks for the kind words. When I discovered this record it had been forgotten hence the meticulous research that went into the book. I have read every cycling mag from 1889 to the 1940's! And know the families of these riders like friends.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I was looking at Amanda Coker's rides, she's currently 6520 miles ahead of the mens record at the moment. If she can keep going at her current rate she'll be over 84,000 miles at the end of the year. 75 days left.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 2022488017
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

Amanda Coker's effort is mind blowing. However it's a completely different game riding laps of a flat 10 mile circuit compared to the lanes of England that Steve is taking on, and definitely easier to keep a high average speed.

From now on is it likely that future attempts on the record be conducted in Amanda's style?

Will the record split into "touring" and "track" subdivisions?
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Steve's has continued to play down the ease of Amanda's route, talking of the troubles of Florida weather and wind she gets, not to mention the odd alligator blocking the road :lol:

Saying that she has a lot of support on the route each day so she's drafting lots which minimizes any head winds on the loops and also mixing it up with a recumbent.

Steve's obviously convinced he's got his selection of routes cracked for his local conditions. I find it totally incredible what Amanda's doing, mentally as well as physically, but hope Steve can give it his best shot this time with his new strategies in place :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

A flat route can be quite hard, there's no rest available on downhills that you get on a rolling route. I had some work down near Cambridge and went out for a ride in the evening: 150m ascent in 75Km. I've been on hillier Channel crossings!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
jameso

Post by jameso »

Steve gets style points, seems a more real attempt. I hope he gets it.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »