Light duty bikepacking/commuting/pub frame

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

MarkJS

Light duty bikepacking/commuting/pub frame

Post by MarkJS »

I built up a bike for light touring a couple of years ago and, while I'm very happy with the groupset and wheels, i'm looking to change the frame for something a little more comfortable. The existing carbon frame is definitely aimed at the racier end of cyclocross and therefore quite stiff; while fine for a blast in the local woods or a couple of hours on country lanes the harsh ride is giving me a beating on 100 mile days.

I'll also use the bike for commuting to work (30 mile round trip) a few times per week and generally for something to grab when the plus bike is overkill.

I'd like to use as many parts from the existing bike as possible so requirements are:
Disc brake
135mm rear dropouts - currently running stans grails on dt swiss rear and sp dyno front hubs so don't want to change wheelset if possible
Preferably threaded bottom bracket
Able to run 38-42c tyres
Compliant ride - less worried about extra weight so thinking steel frame but open to suggestions.
Not in the £1k plus area - it'll be used as an all weather commuter and occasional multi day trips, I have no aspirationsto complete the TCR.

The Cotic Escapade looks to be suitable, I used to have a Genesis CDA as a commuter and bought the other half an identical one - the geometry looks similar so would probably suit.
I'd appreciate any input from owners of this frame and any suggestions of alternatives.

Cheers
ianfitz

Re: Light duty bikepacking/commuting/pub frame

Post by ianfitz »

I have an escapade. It's comfy, fairly solid and seems to be reliable. It's happy runing 40mm tyres with adequate clearance

Not expensive either
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I really like the Escapade, don't have one, but like the bike and the brand

Are you saying budget is £1k for the frame only?
gairym

Post by gairym »

I'm a fan of Cotic in general and am just building up an Escapade for gravel/bikepacking duties.

The geometry suits me, the Cotic ride and build quality is always good and I even like the colour!
MarkJS

Post by MarkJS »

benp1 wrote:I really like the Escapade, don't have one, but like the bike and the brand

Are you saying budget is £1k for the frame only?
Just that I'd rather keep the cost well under £1k for the frame and any associated parts required for the swap. At £400 for the cotic I'd expect to spend at least another £200 on parts such as seatpost, possibly new stem if necessary, headset, b/b, etc.
MarkJS

Post by MarkJS »

gairym wrote:I'm a fan of Cotic in general and am just building up an Escapade for gravel/bikepacking duties.

The geometry suits me, the Cotic ride and build quality is always good and I even like the colour!
Be interested to see the build when you've completed.

There looks to be a cotic dealer reasonably close to me so I'll drop over and have a chat with them.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

MarkJS wrote:
gairym wrote:I'm a fan of Cotic in general and am just building up an Escapade for gravel/bikepacking duties.

Be interested to see the build when you've completed.

There looks to be a cotic dealer reasonably close to me so I'll drop over and have a chat with them.
I will have mine at the winter event
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

I've found Cy/Cotic to be very helpful direct. Either by email or by phone. My mate was after a soul. I started off an email 'conversation ' and my mate picked it up and finished it (ultimately) by phone. I've probably hit triple digits email over the years... :oops:
Give the dirt a little room.